• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Keep side tank or not?

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I dropped my side tank today so I could get to the bolts on the crossmember and tighten them.... I am also installing a 1" body lift and could not get to the mounts without taking it out... Question is... do I want to keep it? I installed it back when all I had was the stock rear. Since then I fabbed up a stainless EFI tank that holds 20 gallons plus...

I did some creative plumbing to use the side tank with EFI but it worked....

When I dropped it out it still had the Wildhorses UPS shipping sticker on it from maybe 10 years ago... still very legible...

How many run the side tank with the larger tank in the rear? I think it would be safer without it... Having fuel under my seat is kinda scary if I was in a wreck or rolled over... If it was a steel EFI tank it might be different...

Thoughts?

Greg

stingus

Loc.
Nashville,
I recently put a 23 gallon rear tank in, ran new fuel line, drained and bypassed the aux tank. I figured the rear tank held plenty and having only one tank would mean less working parts to go wrong: Selector valve, aux sending unit, fuel lines, filler hoses, neck etc..
Plus i dont have a gas bomb under my seat now.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have a 23 gal rear tank and recently renovated my aux tank to hold almost 10 gal. I added a fuel return port at the same time. I like the ability to drive 500 miles between gas stations.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
You don't get 15.15 MPG

I don't like the side tanks

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
took my side tank out today, figure 23 gallons will get me as far as i need to go on one sitting. if not i can carry my 5.5 gallon JAZ can.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I've done better than 16 mpg on the highway. In town I average about 13.5 mpg.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Down hill both ways, you must be the guy i get stuck behind.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
I like my side tank, but it has been in the way before so I've dropped it to remove the seat several times.

Also, I like to keep an emergency 5 gallons in it just incase.

My sender has never worked very well in my WH 23 gallon main tank. I think sometimes it gets up to 3/4 but never full so I tend to run on empty and not think about it.

PLUS living in California whenever there's an earth quake I like to top them both off, something about 35 gallons of fuel on hand is nice.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
blubuckaroo,

I agree and you are too funny! So when will you install the 3rd tank? Are you planning on also a 12 gallon 3rd tank? When you do, just post a tech write up for us all to day dream about.

Chris-

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Funny when my parents walked to school it was up hill both ways, and snowing.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The rear is plenty if you are driving a street only car that isn't leaving pavement. If that's the case leave the front driveline off too. It always amazes me to see a great off road vehicle that can't be used for its intent. Is someone going to carry the fuel for you? I plan another aux tank on the passenger side. Never enough fuel when deer hunting.
I edited this post to make it more acceptable.

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
The rear is plenty if you are driving a street only car that isn't leaving pavement. If that's the case leave the front driveline off too. It always amazes me to see a great off road vehicle that can't be used for its intent. Is someone going to carry the fuel for you? I plan another aux tank on the passenger side. Never enough fuel when deer hunting.

I'll keep that in mind if I plan to wheel to africa. ya know they make metal 5 gal gas cans that are air tight and PORTABLE.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'll keep that in mind if I plan to wheel to africa. ya know they make metal 5 gal gas cans that are air tight and PORTABLE.

I do that too but it seems like a better idea to use the useless space under the car for that. I usually take at least 50 gallons along for a week of hunting. Two jeep cans maybe, but I've been carrying four.

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA

Where do you wheel that requires that much fuel?

Fuel for deer hunting? Its illegal in Ga to hunt from your vehicle... or do you use the fuel for chasing them down and running over them?

A third tank? Are you crossing the mojave desert?

Thanks for editing your post...:D

My only argument for keeping the tank is like the other poster said... my sending unit for my rear tank isnt very accurate.... it is nice to have a few gallons just in case. BUT... the Pollack valve has quit working so can I even depend on it to work when I need it?

I may just sell this setup and build me a stainless tank like I did in the rear and carry a spare valve... ;D

Greg

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why not leave it there and just install a transfer pump from the side to the main for when you need the reserve? Almost a no brainer if going from carb/electric fuel pump to efi

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Where do you wheel that requires that much fuel?

Fuel for deer hunting? Its illegal in Ga to hunt from your vehicle... or do you use the fuel for chasing them down and running over them?

A third tank? Are you crossing the mojave desert?

Thanks for editing your post...:D

My only argument for keeping the tank is like the other poster said... my sending unit for my rear tank isnt very accurate.... it is nice to have a few gallons just in case. BUT... the Pollack valve has quit working so can I even depend on it to work when I need it?

I may just sell this setup and build me a stainless tank like I did in the rear and carry a spare valve... ;D

Greg

I usually hunt at 8500'-9000' in the Sierra Nevada. It's illegal (and also unethical) to hunt from a vehicle in CA too, however I have to get there and usually drive to a trailhead eash day. I pull this small trailer in and don't like to go back to civilization until I'm done, sometimes two weeks at a time.

Attachments

• Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 39