• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Keeping focus on restoration

2b1ask1

Loc.
oklahoma
I am at a point on my 73' where money and time have gotten less and less... I have been collecting parts and things for about 3 years now, and it seems like it is just never going to get done!! I work 40 hours a week, and am a single dad, and have thought seriously about just selling it... I don't want to, and don't have to, but sometimes I really lose my motivation.. I keep it in the garage, so its out of the elements, but it gets tough when I think of how much $$ its going to take to get it like I want it... I am at a point to where I need new inner and outer rockers, and passenger side inner.... Also, I have all of the stuff for the brake conversion.... Not to mention all of the small stuff... I just need some motivation... Thanks!!

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
You need to revist the photo gallery and take a look at some of these amazing broncos these folks have put together.

then...

Get one of your Bronco buddies to give you a ride around town, that should get the blood boiling again!!

Don't sale out, keep on keepin' on!!;D

oh, and watch all the Overhaulin', Trucks, and Gearz shows you can find, that usually gets me anxious to wrench.

MattMoe

Contributor
Loc.
Baton Rouge
Were do you live? Are there any other Broncos around?

There is bound to be someone on here close to you that can take you for a spin in theres and get your head right.

If not check out a local 4x4 club or bring your kid to an antique car show, and get your fix that way.

Just don't sell it put it in storage until a brighter day if you have too.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Don't get misled by all the marketing hype! Factory parts are often better and you can usually get replacements quicker. Duraspark ignitions, 3G alternators, FOD transmissions, factory FI, steering columns. If you break down there are always NAPA stores!

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I hear you, man. This December, I will have had my Bronco for 5 years. I have driven it ONE time in those 5 years. Other financial commitments come up all the time, and sometimes it seems like it will never get done. But, I look back at all that I have done already and that keeps me going some.

But, what the others are saying is totally correct. If you can find someone nearby that has one that is running - that will keep you motivated. I am lucky that my father-in-law has one that he recently restored. He lets me take it for a spin now and again so I can get my "fix".

Keep on plugging away - you will get there.

Dan76

I guess its easier for me since I still live at home (only 18) and work full time! So not only does all my money go into the bronco but I have alot of time to work on it aswell Sometimes I get lazy and would rather sit on the couch then wrench on it. For inspiration I get on CB.com and look at the photogallery, and also picture the finished project rolling around on a hot summer day with the top off! Dont get discouraged because its taking longer then you hoped, work at your own pace not everyone can work on their rig everyday or even every week. Dont think of it as a chore think of it as a way to get your mind off other stuff. I really enjoy working on my bronco just have to have the right attitude!

carhauler

Loc.
Harford Co. MD
2b,

Don't do it man. If you let it go, you will be sorry. I made that mistake. Mine wasn't a resto, just a rock rig I bought right & ran around town in & wheeled a little. I miss it more than any other vehicle I've owned. I truely didn't know what I had unitl it was gone. See my sig. I'm looking for another one but my money situation isn't what it was before so I have no choice but to buy one in pieces & put it back together. I know it will be a LONG road to get to drive one again ( I work close to 80-90 hrs/week) but I had so much fun just driving the damn thing, I think it will be worth the wait. Hang on to it.

jaroh

I am at the 5 year mark on mine. It is the only vehichle I have owned for that lenght of time. I did the drive train first. My $500 bronco started out with no wheels and tires, carb was missing and there was no top. After 5 years I have rebuilt the front axel with disk breaks, lock right, HD axels, rear end with 31 spline axels, lock right, remanufactured HO motor, serp, bc lift, bc 23 gal fuel tank, and the napa power steering. Maybe in the next 5 years I can replace all the rusted out panels. Believe me it has been a long road that has had many a day thinking I should just sell the thing and get rid of a financial disaster for good. Then I fire it up and take it for a spin. Life seems better after listening to the doors rattle like they are going to fall off at 50mph! Just take it one step at a time. So what if you don't finish something in one day, it will still be there the next time you need a fix. Good luck and don't sell.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Hang tough, walk away from it for awhile. You'll feel the tug again. Due to one thing or another I've been thru 7 broncos having to sell to buy a house and the divorces and this and that... I currently have 1 that I'm working on. I was a single parent with two boys an raised them myself for 17 years.

What motivates me is when someone posts pics and they are at the same point in my build, or what they have is worse than what I've got, so I think I'm doing ok.

Just stay away from it for a while as I said. It will "call your name" when it's time.

John

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Working on these does get a little overwhelming, especially when you have to tear th whole ting down to start. My problem is to not obsess over every little thing and take my time. Keep at it

grant_71

Bronco Guru
You Can Do It!!!

I know the feeling, i bought mine my junior year of high school, it was going to be a quick rebuild into a trail truck, which turned into a full frame off custom job into my "hot rod" as i like to say. Needless to say, it took almost 7 YEARS!!!!! between working full time, graduating from college etc. I "almost" sold it a lot, with no time or money, but my dad kept the title in his name until this year when i finally got it on the road. You said you have a kid....i think that kid may want to learn about cars....boy or girl doesn't matter, take em to a car show, show em pictures from the gallery, find out which ones they like, then tell em they can help you build yours into one like it. Having a kid in the shop watching the truck take shape can be a real motivation. I know money can be tight, but you said you already have some parts, start with those. And let us know where you are, maybe some one here is close by and can lend a hand. Good Luck

Grant

JC

Loc.
Conway, Arkansas
I know how you feel man! I haven't had mine long but sometimes when I think of what it's going to take to get it like I want, I get a little discouraged. Lately, it seems that every time I start working on something I run into unexpected problems, which usually means something else has to be replaced =$$. Nothing seems to go smoothly or without a hitch!

I think I could get mine road ready without spending too much, so I've been toying with that idea. I hate to spend money on stuff I'm going to replace in year or so, but sometimes I think it might be worth it just to be able to drive it like it is now. It'll only delay having it like I want, but it might be worth it. Maybe you could do the same for now?

Good luck

kevin73

Loc.
Imperial
Keep It Broke

JC, Keep it broke. Then you will actually do the work, I got my 73 about 4 years ago, threw on an exhaust and hit the road. Problem now is I love driving it so much that I'm not willing to take it off the road for the tear down\restore I want to do.

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
welcome, and dont get discouraged....find the funds to get a subscription to Bronco driver then, you'll get motivation in your mail box every two months! :)
i started on mine in 2003 and seem to not even have down to the 1/2 way mark!! but these great people here at classic broncos have really kept me motivated....there is a HUGE amount of knowledge here, and I'm sure I have more than over ask way to many questions...and they just keep the motivation coming .......just browse thru the gallery as someone else stated and check out some of these fine rigs...and remember when you are done, that it will not only be a classic revived, but also a one off AWSOME piece that no one else has one just exactly like!
keep the faith!
Ben

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Do it in "baby steps." Find little successes that help you keep going, rather than just getting stuck on the end product.

Steven Covey in "7 habits of highly effective people" says to begin with the end in mind. Figure out the end product, then create a path of how to get there in successful steps..

Map out how you want to get it done so you have little successes. Today I finally got my old headers off and the new ones on. It's taken a month, but now it feels great! Don't get bogged down by the big picture (everything that has to get done). It's a big success just to get the seatbelts bolted in!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Big One

Loc.
Bartlesville, Ok
I just picked up a 34 Ford Roadster for my uncle. This very thing happened to the PO, He just couldn't focus on anything but the end product.
He sold the running/driving car for pennies on the dollar. Theres probably 2 weeks worth of evenings to have it back to DD staus.

I agree 100% on setting goals and keeping them realistic.
I don't know if its possible, but if you can get is to where you can at least drive it around the block or to the store. Hearing my cars run always motivates me to keep going.

DON'G GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
2b1ask1

2b1ask1

Loc.
oklahoma
Thanks alot guys.....I am going to take the fenders off in the morning, and get started with baby steps!!! I will try to post some pics too...