• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Kinda Depressed

broncoman82

Loc.
Blairsville Ga.
A little history to start with, I bought my 1973 Bronco a little over a year ago. I have wanted one since I was a kid, one of my dad’s friends had one and I remember riding in that thing on a many of fishing trips. I gave 5,800 dollars for the one I got and had planned on doing some upgrades and such to get it where I wanted it to be. This year I spent probably around 6,000 in parts to put on it. A 351 Windsor, a lift kit, body lift, power disc brakes and so on. Well the last two days a friend and I have been working on installing the lift kit and body lift. The lift kit went ok, but the body lift has been a nightmare with one thing leading into another. The body kit is a two inch kit that I purchased from one of the bronco venders. The kit came with the two inch spacers and bolts. I also went ahead and purchased a new body mount hardware kit to use. Well the body lift kit didn’t come with any nuts and the hardware kit bolts were bigger so I couldn’t use the nuts in that kit. None of the body bushings came out without having to cut/breaking them and the lift kit was designed to be used with the original body bushings, as in to be bolted into the original body hardware. The body lift kit came with generic instructions with no pictures or use full information. The shop I used was my buddy’s which is probably 20 miles from town and no way to access the internet for some useful instructions. When I placed the order for the body lift over the phone I asked about brake lines and steering shaft and was told I shouldn’t need anything. Well I found out the hard way that I will have to buy/modify those items to work, which is not a problem but to make things worse I found out that my frame in the rear is rusted really bad, to the point I worry about my rear leaf spring mounts holding up. While trying to get the body to rear axle rubber brake line off I broke the steel brake line, which now I will have to replace and to make things worse I am suppose to have the bronco at the tire shop Thursday for new tires. Today I want get to work on it due to having to work and the way it looks I will have to wait until next Wednesday before I can resume work on it. I also had it lined up for it to get new gears front and back, installed on Monday and that to will have to wait. Nothing so far is going in my favor. I work nights as a Deputy and that to makes things hard when it comes to trying to work on it. I guess I am just having a pity party I don’t know just wish things would go my way for a change on the bronco. I guess my next task will be trying to track down a decent frame I can afford now that my budget for this year has been shot.

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
If I had a dollar for every project that didn't go as planned, I'd have retired long ago. My wife doesn't even bat an eye anymore when I tell her Simple Project X, originally planned to take 30 minutes, is now a two week endeavor. That's the nature of owning a Bronco. Jeep guys pull shit out of a box, bolt it on, and hit the road. That's fine and dandy. It's not what I signed up for.

The rule of thumb I like to use with projects is add 1.5 times the anticipated work time. That's just the Bronco Time Factor.

Snap some pictures of the frame and post them. It might not be as bad as you think. And frames can be had at reasonable cost. Sure, you might have to drive to find a solid one, but it's not the end of the world.

OP
OP
B

broncoman82

Loc.
Blairsville Ga.
It will be a few days before I can get back to the bronco for the pictures.
I know it is what it is. I try to just keep telling myself it old so its gonna need work, but at the same time I have such little time to work on it with my work schedule. Not only do I work for the county but I work on my days off for the city. I have to just to get by. It just gets discouraging when I do finally get a chance to work on it and I can;t make no progress.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Stay strong.
Once all these mods are done, they are done forever.
You will not have to ever work on the body lift again.
Brake lines shouldn't be too much of a problem except where the master cylinder lines go down to the prop valve. Those are really easy. If you have to replace any others consider it further wise maintenance that you will not have to do again for a very long time.
Get us some photos of your frame, it may not be as bad as you think, may even be repairable. But eb frames are cheap so even if you have to go that route it will not be that bad.
From the sounds of your plans and budget you are going to have one cool eb.
If you are like most of us (and I bet you are) then you will have your eb for the rest of your life.....so be patient....you have plenty of time.
Have a great day, and smile....you own the finest 4x4 ever made.
Be safe out there.

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
When I just got my bronco, I did not know anything about them, seven years after I will not fix or upgrade anything without having the most information either thru this site or the net. when i just got it, I could not even replaced the stater, now I have replaced the motor twice, has a 1998 explorer now, added hydroboost, a 4r70w, power steering, power brakes, complete interior, and much more, all in my home garage.
Just need to learn how to weld now.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
It may not be going as planned, but look at the positive....you are making progress!

Keep at it...you will appreciate it.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
After buying my 74, it sat for a year while I made it safe to drive. No I wasn't restoring it I was getting to the point of being drivable.....18 years later I'm still making upgrades and adding parts.

Tim

70_Steve

Old Guy
Sounds like a typical Bronco project.

Except I figure 2x money, 3x time, and 4x beer.
Exactly!!! I have resigned myself to understanding that I can't do anything on the Bronco unless I do it 3 times. And also knowing that I will create more "opportunities" in the process.

But, asking questions on this site will save you a lot of time and trouble. I don't know why one of the vendors CSRs would have told you that nothing needs to be modified with a 2" body lift, but a search of this site would have shown you differently.

Don't feel too bad though. I've had my Bronco for 19 years, and most of what I know about my Bronco I learned by making mistakes.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
I was in that mode for a while, install one thing and cause a problem with another. It can be a daunting adventure and there were times where I walked away and let it sit for a while. I would stand back and look at it and see the 300 things that need done and get really discouraged.

Then I discovered a better way. I made a general list of all the things that needed done like: dash, harness, body lift, transmission mounts, etc.. I would put the Bronco in the corner of the garage and cover it with a painters sheet and pick one thing to work on and do that in the open. I only focused on getting that one thing completed and didn't think about the overall scope of the build. Once the one thing was completed I either installed it or set it aside and started something else. It sounds stupid but keeping focused on one small item and completing it gave me a real sense of accomplishing something and before long it was ready for paint.

Hang in there brother, it will get better, just take it one piece at a time.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
But, asking questions on this site will save you a lot of time and trouble. I don't know why one of the vendors CSRs would have told you that nothing needs to be modified with a 2" body lift, but a search of this site would have shown you differently.

I can't believe a vendor wants you to re-use the stock hardware for the mounts, it's been soaked with water and road grime for 4-5 decades %) Never mind the sag factor.

Jim W.

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
It happens man. These old rides, the stupidest/easiest thing becomes a major project. I know it's frustrating but hang in there. Take some time off from her and come back refreshed. I can't tell you how many times I'd be working on one lil' thing, no progress, frustrated, etc. Walk away for a day or two, then come back and would knock it out in 10 mins :cool:

67RT

Bronco Guru
Just step away. Make sure you take your time and do it right. Too many of these are rigged and unsafe.

zonian

Loc.
St. Augustine
Hang in there, one step at a time. When it all comes together you will enjoy the truck more due to the blood, sweat and tears.....These EB's are a labor of love....

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I've been at my build for 13 1/2 years, bought it in '88. I started with dropping in a 289 and now have a 5.0. When I started the switch to the EFI I took every nut and bolt off of it and spent the next 3 years putting it back together. The only original parts are the frame, body, transfer case, tail lights, side and rear glass and turn signal lever. I did a little each day not even thinking of getting to the end. After 2 1/2 years I went out there and found I had done everything to make it drivable. Talk about a rush of euphoria. Drove it onto the trailer and took it to the painter. After putting the rest of it together after painting, I still have a lot to do and while driving it I found stuff I should have done while it was still in the shop. I think it's EB=Eternal Build;D

Jim W.

Bonco4Broncos

Loc.
Rockingham, NC
Broncoman sounds like he is feeling alot like I have been the last few days.I owned 2 Broncs in the 80s and rust was not a issue. I bought a 73 a lil over a month ago and it looked really good that is until i started removing the fiberglass inserts and found the cancer that was thriving under them. Then i bought all new rubber brake lines, Oh boy gota get the flaring tool out cause them there steel brake lines are in really bad shape also. Uh Oh, Whats goin on with that there left front outer U joint. guess I'll find out when the spanner socket arrives on the UPS truck today. If I ever get the issues that exist now corrected I will maybe start thinking about upgrades. My thoughts when i purchased this truck were to make it into a (nice) usable 4x4. Now I am more interested in making it Usable. The nice I will look for in 2 or 3 years and hopefully I will know what to look for when i enter the market for one.

Oh Yea I got the rust issue on the back end of the frame also...My thoughts on that are to reinforce it with some plates welded on it.

ransil

Bronco Guru
guy on ebay sells a body mount hardware kit, resembles the stock one which I like better than big washers.

I always hate changing body mounts, I always plan on 2 days and lots of band aids.

bobscott

As everyone said just relax and drink a beer or 20. I feel your pain. I recently blew my rebuilt motor. I then bought a crate only to find the bolt holes for the flywheel were boogered up. Lots of little things will pop up on you. I recommend not trying to schedule too much in a short time frame, you will frustrate the hell out of yourself.

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
If I had a dollar for every project that didn't go as planned, I'd have retired long ago. My wife doesn't even bat an eye anymore when I tell her Simple Project X, originally planned to take 30 minutes, is now a two week endeavor. That's the nature of owning a Bronco. Jeep guys pull shit out of a box, bolt it on, and hit the road. That's fine and dandy. It's not what I signed up for.

The rule of thumb I like to use with projects is add 1.5 times the anticipated work time. That's just the Bronco Time Factor.

Snap some pictures of the frame and post them. It might not be as bad as you think. And frames can be had at reasonable cost. Sure, you might have to drive to find a solid one, but it's not the end of the world.

X2! It gets better. We've all been through the same frustrated periods. Ride it out, accept that owning a bronco is a journey not a destination, and your mindset is likely to change. I've had my highs and lows doing mine but since I decided to enjoy the journey I haven't been discouraged.

Yes this means that sometimes it sits half apart in the shop for three weeks (like it has the last three weeks) but that's all part of it. If you want a rig you aren't working on buy a new rig - you will save money, but will lose that priceless time getting dirty and playing with metal things in the shop.