• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LEAK! Can you help me identify this fuel hose?

incogneato

Loc.
South Bay
Important: This only happens when I fuel the tank.

There is also a leak on the (side/front) auxiliary tank filler neck, the replacement part for which I have already purchased.

Need to get this replaced!
But need to know what it's called so I can buy the part.
Help! Thanks :cool:

ThijHFk.png

tom9961

Loc.
Spokane
You didn't say what year Bronco you have. But, I believe that is the vapor vent line leading to the charcoal container on the passenger side under the floor pan. My 72 had a leak there as well. Since I no longer have the charcoal container connected to the air cleaner I just sealed with JB Weld. Been ok for about a year now.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, hard to tell from the pics because the parts in question are a bit dark and sort of meld together in the image, but that appears to be a (edited) stock tank with a body lift leaving the gap on top(?) with just old worn out rubber hose fitting between the factory steel vapor lines and the two steel tubes on the tank.

Standard 1/4" fuel-rated hose should work as a replacement I think. Wouldn't hurt to either double-check, or have multiple sizes on hand.

Paul

OP
OP
I

incogneato

Loc.
South Bay
It's a 1973 early bronco, and I'm nearly certain it's one of the steel lines that run up along the rail to the front (maybe the tank switch?), from the main tank. Does that make sense?

I'm looking for the replacement part (I guess a braided hose, but not sure which one I need). Do you know where I can find a replacement?

Here is another picture.
nY9mR7w.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If that's steel, then it's most definitely not a stock fuel feed line, as those were plastic.
If that's steel and is coming off of the front two smaller ports on the tank, then they are most likely the vapor recovery and liquid return lines that feed to and from the vapor condensing tank that should be (have been?) behind the driver's seat under a panel.

They look to have been buggered around with over the years because they don't have their straight lines and clean bends that they would have had from the factory. And as far as I know, there are no replacements available. You either have to scavenge one from another Bronco between mid-'70 and '75, or make your own.

But since the steel doesn't look like it's leaking, just get some 1/4" fuel-rated hose and make your own new ends. Looks like you could reuse the old clamps no problem.

If you follow them up forward, I think you'll find that at the front of the wheel well they come together with another single one from the auxiliary tank and another one that runs off to the other side of the truck on the crossmember.
They bundle together and run up into the body panel, through an oval hole with rubber grommet, and into the condensing tank.
The one that crosses the truck to the other side goes to the charcoal canister over on the passenger side frame rail.

Looks a lot like this:
vapor rec.jpg

Paul