• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaking oil dip stick tube at the pan

bearskinner

Loc.
N.Idaho, AK, SoCal
Has anyone braised or silver soldered the pressed in dip stick tube on a stock 302 oil pan? I'm sick of the leaky press in tube, but after taking off the pan, I'm wondering if I can get the pan back on with the tube permantly in place. It looks really tight, just wondering if it will even fit, once I mess with it tomorrow! I'm sure I'm not the only one to go thru this. Thanks for your replys

OP
OP
bearskinner

bearskinner

Loc.
N.Idaho, AK, SoCal
I have no doubt it will stay in place, I just wonder if the pan will slide back in place with the dipstick tube mounted solidly on the pan. It looks pretty tight, and I slipped it out( it was actually so loose it pretty much fell out) when pulling the pan

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Why not see about swapping over to a threaded dip stick tube? When the pan is off great time to either braze/weld the threaded receiver into the pan.

I think there is a 4 rivet plate that holed the threaded receiver option also?

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
I'd try a new dipstick tube or small rubber o-ring first. Dipstick tubes are ~$10 at the local parts store, although I don't know how hard it would be to find your particular tube.

OP
OP
bearskinner

bearskinner

Loc.
N.Idaho, AK, SoCal
With the gasket removed, the metal was plenty thick enough to weld the plate solid. I flared the tube and added a small brace to the lower part of the tube, so I can bolt the tube at the bottom to help keep it in place. It's painted and drying now, I'll try the install tomorrow and take a couple pics.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I rebuilt an engine that had a broken dip stick tube with no easy replacement available. I tapped the block (in this engine's case) while it was being rebuilt for pipe threads and screwed in an NPT to Inverted Flare adapter fitting. Then some 3/8" Bundy tube from the parts store was bent as needed and cut to length. Now the tube is easy to remove so it doesn't get banged around when putting the engine in or otherwise.

Asked the rebuilder of my DD's engine to tap it's tube hole for pipe threads as it too is broken and not easily replaced.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Yea, the old cork under that fixture will leak sometime.

But...
You should be able to remove the rivets and bolt the fixture on with screws and lock nuts. I had to cut the replacement gasket out from another old gasket I had sitting around. It sealed fine. I figure the old one was almost 40 years old when it started weeping, so this one should outlive even me.

It's not hard to seal since it's not below the oil level, and has no pressure on it

OP
OP
bearskinner

bearskinner

Loc.
N.Idaho, AK, SoCal
There's no gasket there now, it's welded in place. The bracket fit the dipstick tube nicely, and holds it in place firmly. I'll take a few pics once the sun comes up. This should cure that constant oil seepage

OP
OP
bearskinner

bearskinner

Loc.
N.Idaho, AK, SoCal
IMG_3444.JPG

IMG_3445.JPG
heres a couple pics with the tube welded in place with a notch to bolt the bottom to the oil pan. its held in place nicely now, and hopefully wont seep oil anymore. so far so good