• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaking oil pan dip stick tube mount

71BRSP#8

Contributor
Loc.
Millersburg OR
Every Bronco I have everowned had a leak in the side of the pan at the dip stick tube mount. Is there a good way to fix that with out removing the pan?

soulflybro

Loc.
Dublin, CA
i have the same problem. That dipstick is such a PAIN in the ASS to install and tighten down. there is absolutely no room to turn a wrench, if you can even manage to get a wrench onto the nut. I used a bunch of teflon tape, and that helped, but it was even harder to get it threaded and tight. It still leaks just a liiiiitle bit.

dennish

Without removing the pan I would suggest RTVing the heck out of it.<br>

OP
OP
71BRSP#8

71BRSP#8

Contributor
Loc.
Millersburg OR
I had one Bronco that seemed to leak a quart every week out the flange attached to the pan. Just seem like a poor design. What does the Duff pan use? $200 should get a pan that won't start dripping oil on my diff any time soon.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Next time you change your oil before drain it take some engine cleaner and a tooth brush and scrub that whole area clean then clean it with brake cleaner. It must be clean enough to eat off of then check the fitting and if it is tight then take a tube of green loctite this is the removeable type and squirt it in all of the little cracks and wipe off the excess then come back after a brewsky and put another coat and clean up again then let it cure a couple of hours and change your oil incase it got contaminated by the cleaners and water. the loctite will wick into all of the little nooks and crannys and seal them. if it is more that weepage from the threads or the rivet seam then epoxy putty is the way to go except youll never want to take out the dipstick tube from the pan. Youll need a heat gun to soften the cured epoxy and a chizle to scrape it out of there. Very hard to do next to a frame rail.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
What I found when I took the pan off to rebuild the motor, the gasket that mashes between the 2 riveted together flanges, had shrunk. That's where most of my oil was leaking.So I drill the rivets out and weld the flanges solid to the pan.So now it's just a infrequent fight with the dipstick hole.

G

Playing with my new headers tonight and the dipstick tube just came out of the pan. Don't see any screw threads, What keeps it in? Do I just push it back in and try the sealer idea from the earlier post? Wasn to dark to play with it tonight.

dksroland

Loc.
springfield, mo.
mine just sticks in.<br>clean it real good with brake cleaner or starter fluid.<br>wipe and let dry.<br>then silicone the crap out of it.<br>no leaks for 5 months now. ;D<br>luck.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I haven't had the leak problem but I had to remove one. I used a wrench that I had slotted like a flare nut wrench. It worked good to get the tube in and out. If the leak is bad check the pcv valve.