• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lets see your junkyard air boxes

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
ntsqd in the Super Duty that air box is on the driver side and extends pretty far forward of the firewall due to the long intake to the turbo. I'm sure you could make it work but not in the manner you're seeing. The big air box bolts to a mount that looks like a battery tray directly behind the battery and the fenderwell inlet bolts to the inner fender liner. The front snout snugs into a hole in the core support. Has 3.5 or 4 inch outlet to the turbo housing.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
markw, wish that I were closer to Chico (hell, I wish I hadn't had to leave!) as I'd like to see one of those PSD assemblies in person before spending the $$. Am generally thinking behind the right headlight where the battery was originally.

Air from the engine compartment is hot air, why would you want that?
For every 10 degrees hotter the intake air is, you lose one horsepower.

No argument cooler air is better for power, but stated like that leads me to think you know of or have a dyno study that supports that statement?

In my time working on and building dynos I never saw such a direct and linear relationship. Not saying it doesn't exist, just never saw it.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can take some cell phone pics when I get home. Bout time I posted something here...

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Why would you need to make your smog rep happy? I thought that we didn't need to smog 76 and older here?

No smog for 75 and older in CA. 76 and up need Bi-annual smog... In some areas

It was for my 77... My smog Ref was not... as flexible with his decisions. I had to have 4 Cats, like the donor Mustang car, a Vacuum canister like was shown in the vacuum hose diagram, and an enclosed airbox.

Yes engine compartment not an ideal location, but neither was the space I had to work in...

Sometimes you do what needs to be done in order to get through something...

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I'm not sure that your Ref was on solid ground with the airbox. The rule when we got the LS1 in a YJ KA legal was that the emissions rules only applied from the first sensor in the intake to the last sensor in the exhaust. Everything between them had to be either OE or covered by a CARB Executive Order. Maybe that had changed between when you got legal and when we did? Is there any kind of sensor on the inlet side of the filter element?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I'm not sure that your Ref was on solid ground with the airbox. The rule when we got the LS1 in a YJ KA legal was that the emissions rules only applied from the first sensor in the intake to the last sensor in the exhaust. Everything between them had to be either OE or covered by a CARB Executive Order. Maybe that had changed between when you got legal and when we did? Is there any kind of sensor on the inlet side of the filter element?

No sensor... Hard to argue with a Ref. I argued the vacuum canister as it has no smog purpose, it was used for the HVAC system. Got kind of blasted, "It is in the diagram so you need to have it" Others have commented in the past that their visits were far more enjoyable. I had far less trouble with the 350 TBI Chevy motor conversion in my 77 FJ40 8 years before.

I did have the feeling that I knew far more about 87-93 Mustang smog equipment/emissions than the Ref did...

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Yeah, I hear you. Either go along & try to make it as smooth as possible, or prove him wrong with his own rules and make the road much more bumpy.

Now that it's done though you don't have to keep it. Smog techs aren't going to care about silly details so long as it matches the label.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Oops, sorry I derailed this thread. I only mentioned this because I am getting ready to Explorer OBDII my 351W in my 1967 Bronco and was interested in the possibility of an airbox. I do not want to have to deal with SMOG nightmares though! I guess because I am a 1967 I am avoiding that issue.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Oops, sorry I derailed this thread. I only mentioned this because I am getting ready to Explorer OBDII my 351W in my 1967 Bronco and was interested in the possibility of an airbox. I do not want to have to deal with SMOG nightmares though! I guess because I am a 1967 I am avoiding that issue.

You have no smog issues... Just watch out for random road side set ups to check smog... We had one set up in Morgan Hill last summer, word spread so fast that I do not think they got much business ;D

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Yeah, I hear you. Either go along & try to make it as smooth as possible, or prove him wrong with his own rules and make the road much more bumpy.

Now that it's done though you don't have to keep it. Smog techs aren't going to care about silly details so long as it matches the label.

Yeah, I have it stored in a Rubbermaid tub up in the loft, went back to an Amsoil cone filter. No questions asked during last smog.... ;D

Sorry about the Hi-jack of the thread.

canzelc

Contributor
I am intrigued by the BC Broncos option. Anybody install the box in the link below?

http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2348

I like this option because it pulls outside air and I can keep my battery in the stock location. I would like to hear from someone who has installed one and pictures would be awesome.

I would like to know if the new box ties into the heater intake. If I have a chance I am going to call BC today.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Bronco_69,
what is that air box?

MISF ducted his Scout's air filter assembly into the cowl area. Cab vents pull air from there as well. MISF also has a '69 Gran Prix with mucho mods. One of those is cowl induction by ducting the air filter assembly into the firewall in the wiper linkage area. The same are that the cabin vents pull from, again.

Both are carb'd and both vehicles have excessive induction noise when the vents are open. Haven't noticed hot shut-down fuel vapors in either, but it really wouldn't surprise me if they did it.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yep, that's a Fox body airbox. Bronco_69: can you get a measurement on how thick that thing is?

Thanks,
Todd Z.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I'll play devils advocate for a moment. The factory air boxes do a great job of keeping the air cool. But wow are they restrictive! They usually have a very small inlet.

Is a lot of warm air better than a limited amount of cool air? The massive air leaks into and out of our engine compartments is pretty high. Next time I'm logging data I am going to see what my AIT is with my boring open element K&N hanging off the throttle body.