• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leveling Bronco

kawonuelauwit

I placed a 3.5” suspension lift on my bronco. Unfortunately, the front end sits lower than the rear by about 1 3/4”. The coils are from WH. Does anyone have any suggestions? or have any longer coil springs they would be willing to sell that would make the bronco sit level?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Pretty common...

What I read here is that most remove a leaf or two to set the rear to the proper height.

Leave springs sets will sag a bit after a bit but if you don't like the '70's raked look then remove a leaf or two or load a couple hundred lbs in the rear for a month to help them settle quicker.

OP
OP
K

kawonuelauwit

Pretty common...

What I read here is that most remove a leaf or two to set the rear to the proper height.

Leave springs sets will sag a bit after a bit but if you don't like the '70's raked look then remove a leaf or two or load a couple hundred lbs in the rear for a month to help them settle quicker.
Thanks. I did fail to mention that I have already remove two leaf’s from the leaf springs. I am hoping it will settle but didn’t know if I need to go with a taller coil spring for the front. I’m waiting on a new drive shaft from Tom Woods to be delivered next week so hopefully I can start driving ASAP.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Curious if the coils and the spring are both new and came from the same vendor.

1 3/4" seems like a pretty significant drop, especially if you already removed 2 leafs. Which ones did you remove?

It probably varies from set to set but removing the 3rd from top will give you ~1.25 and the two bottom ones will give you their corresponding heights.

If you aren't running a hard top or a rear tire carrier, that will have a significant impact as well.

As suggested, put some miles on it and see where you end up.

OP
OP
K

kawonuelauwit

Curious if the coils and the spring are both new and came from the same vendor.

1 3/4" seems like a pretty significant drop, especially if you already removed 2 leafs. Which ones did you remove?

It probably varies from set to set but removing the 3rd from top will give you ~1.25 and the two bottom ones will give you their corresponding heights.

If you aren't running a hard top or a rear tire carrier, that will have a significant impact as well.

As suggested, put some miles on it and see where you end up.
Yes, they are both new. The coil springs came from WH and the leafs are deavers that came from Duff. I removed the bottom two leafs. I also removed the factory leaf perches and welded on new ones to the axle to set the axle back an inch. There is no top nor spare tire. The front end does have a winch on it and a 351w engine. I know it is heavier in the front end for sure. That’s why I didn’t know if others have experienced this and went with a taller coil

nvrstuk

Contributor
Like mentioned, removing the two bottom leaves usually lower the ht by the thickness of those leaves only. If you want to get rid of some lift then remove another leaf & it needs to be the the 3rd or 4th leaf.

Personally, I would throw 300# in the back while working on all the finishing touches so it has something to simulate the top, spare tire, rear bumper etc AND to help match what the frt springs are dealing with- extra weight and corresponding settling from a winch, 351 block, HD winch bumper, etc.

You have a teeter totter right now with a big fat guy sitting on one end and a 4 yr old on the other end and wondering why the 4 yr old's feet can't touch the ground. :)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Torque, soft springs (even "softer" with less leaves now), large dia tires all increase axle wrap.

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
How about body mounts? Are they in good condition? Mine sat high in the rear with hard top on after adding WH 2.5 inch front and rear springs but settled after a few hundred miles. New BL/body mounts cured the remainder of my lean issues.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I don't know how all the multi-vendor stuff works together but I think it's better to buy matching components from the same vendor. Easier to solve a problem if they arise.

In your case, you have a lot of moving parts. Based on my experience, limited to 3 Broncos, I would wait until it's all together OR remove the 3rd leaf spring. Without the spare and a hard top, you are going to be lite in the rear and it will take every bit of that to level it out.

OP
OP
K

kawonuelauwit

Like mentioned, removing the two bottom leaves usually lower the ht by the thickness of those leaves only. If you want to get rid of some lift then remove another leaf & it needs to be the the 3rd or 4th leaf.

Personally, I would throw 300# in the back while working on all the finishing touches so it has something to simulate the top, spare tire, rear bumper etc AND to help match what the frt springs are dealing with- extra weight and corresponding settling from a winch, 351 block, HD winch bumper, etc.

You have a teeter totter right now with a big fat guy sitting on one end and a 4 yr old on the other end and wondering why the 4 yr old's feet can't touch the ground. :)
Haha. Yeah I’m going to load some feed sacks in the rear and fill up the 23 gallon tank. Looking forward to the new drive shaft coming in and then I’ll be rolling. Thanks for the help

OP
OP
K

kawonuelauwit

I don't know how all the multi-vendor stuff works together but I think it's better to buy matching components from the same vendor. Easier to solve a problem if they arise.

In your case, you have a lot of moving parts. Based on my experience, limited to 3 Broncos, I would wait until it's all together OR remove the 3rd leaf spring. Without the spare and a hard top, you are going to be lite in the rear and it will take every bit of that to level it out.
Thanks. This project has always had a lot of moving parts. It’s coming together and looking good though

OP
OP
K

kawonuelauwit

How about body mounts? Are they in good condition? Mine sat high in the rear with hard top on after adding WH 2.5 inch front and rear springs but settled after a few hundred miles. New BL/body mounts cured the remainder of my lean issues.
I don’t have any body lift on it and the mounts are not new. Thank you