• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leveling out rear- suggestions? how to instructions please

Joe C

Loc.
The Woodlands
I seem to have my rear end slight lower than the front? I just want to make it level- what do I need and please walk me through how to do it..

thanks
joe

Broncofan76

Loc.
Atlanta
I guess you's need to define "slightly". You could always do a small lift block with very little effort. Not sure how small you could find one. You could even fashion one out of a small section if an overload leaf if you have the means. Not a great choice if your 4 wheeling but would give you a "slight" lift for cheap and no noticeable ride changes other than a little bit of lift.
Procedure:
truck on jack stands in rear, Loosen Ubolts, drop axle slightly, slide in blocks, raise axle to original height, re-tighten ubolts, go for a ride and hit some bumps, re-tighten u-bolts again.

broncobliss

Loc.
Half Moon Bay
There are four U-bolts holding the rear axle to the leaf springs, you could remove them, after properly supporting the Bronco on jack stands, and then place a lift block of the desired height between the axle and springs then install longer u-bolts. First though you might want to check the bushings in your leaf spring eyes to make sure they are ok.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Is it uneven with the top on or off? Sometimes the added weight of the top or a full gas tank, bumper, spare tire or other gear can affect the height of the rear.

I'd make sure you all of these factors into consideration before you raise the rear.

(PS - you could also lower the front with different coils)

Broncofan76

Loc.
Atlanta
There are four U-bolts holding the rear axle to the leaf springs, you could remove them, after properly supporting the Bronco on jack stands, and then place a lift block of the desired height between the axle and springs then install longer u-bolts. First though you might want to check the bushings in your leaf spring eyes to make sure they are ok.

or rear body bushings for that matter. they might be deteriorated? "bushings" reminded me. I just did a body lift and the rear bushings were way worse off/flat than the fronts. maybe like 1/4" at most you'd get here.

OP
OP
J

Joe C

Loc.
The Woodlands
Thanks for all the guidance

top on..top off it looks almost even?

I have some 1" blocks laying around.. I may try the first suggestion and then go from there

thanks

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you using WH 3.5" 11 leaf springs in the rear? If so, and your somewhat close, I might be willing to trade a set of WH 4.5" 11 leaf springs for your 3.5's. Mine is a 1/2 cab and running a little higher in the rear. Have been thinking about leveling it out.

OP
OP
J

Joe C

Loc.
The Woodlands
Thanks Fitz but I got it level yesterday with some 1" blocks

I will be closer to you soon- moving the family back to NOLA. Finally coming back home!

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Been gone since Katrina?

What part of New Orleans? I'm in Bay St. Louis, MS area.

OP
OP
J

Joe C

Loc.
The Woodlands
Yes, settled over in Houston. Moving back to Uptown? Mid City.. Will be seeking to meet the gulf coast EB community when we get back. House is up for sale now- just waiting to get a contract on it. Love the BSL area

Talk soon thanks