• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lighted/Temp/Compass Rear View Mirror Applications??

u10072

Bronco Guru
Hello All,
I am looking for an application for a lighted/compass/temp rear view mirror application. Did a quick google check and they are available on the web but it would be nice to cheap out and get one from a picknpull. Only one kicker is I do not want one that has some OnStar button or anything else like that. They are readily available aftermarket but like I said it would be nice to cheap out locally at a salvage yard.

Thanks,
Matt

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Check ebay.
Got my lighted one for $20 bucks.
The compass ones sometimes have outside temperature too (neat) but they can get expensive and the local pick and pull knows what they're worth.
I love mine with the lights. It is powered by the dome light power wire. So I leave both switches on and can light up my interior with them by twisting my headlight switch.

mattt

Bronco Guru
If you're looking for map lights on the bottom, compass & outside temp in one mirror, please let me know too when you find an OEM application. I have yet to find one with that combo of features, and I've looked a lot! Finding compass/temp is pretty easy...like hotrodtim said....GM trucks & SUVs. I occasionally find map lights and compass but no temp in Dodge cars.

I only found 1 mirror like you describe, but it also had Homelink buttons. It was in a Dodge car. It was like finding hen's teeth...it's that rare of a mirror. That one is in my Bronco ;)

You might have to settle on what features are most important, unless you're willing to spend the bucks on Ebay or other online store, as finding that combo in a pick your part has been the most elusive beast in my travels. If you do find it, please let us know. Good luck.

OP
OP
u10072

u10072

Bronco Guru
Amazon has the Cipa 36500 for $159. The other is the Jeep Rubicon but those are almost double that at least-- I was hoping. I've sold plenty of the regular mirror with the lights on the bottom and those here are as common as heat and sunshine :)

Toddml

Mid/Late 90's Chevy GMC. Pick and pull for about $20.00. Took about 20 minutes to remove mirror and sensor for temp. Sensor is behind the grill at the hood latch location. Works great in my Bronco. Even bought one for my F-350. If any one needs the info on what wire go where. you can just google it. Plenty of info on wiring them up.

pbwcr

Wrangler
compass temp map lights day night switch etc. Later models are best ones.
Don't forget to get the sensors at the pick & pull

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Make sure to check out all Pontiacs you come across in the yards too. I seem to remember on the Buick forums them talking about swapping in some GTP or Bonneville mirrors to gain features.
Don't remember the details, but seems the Pontiacs had some of the cool stuff.

Now, if all the sensors are in the mirror body, great. But getting any separate sensors might be a lot of work.

Paul

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I have a few buckets of various RV mirrors for myself & those who can't get to a JY themselves. FS GM trucks (esp. loaded SUVs) are the easiest for dimming/compass/temperature mirrors, but they can also be found on some others. I've pulled them from big Caddies, some Ford luxury cars, and even an ~'01 4Runner Limited. AVOID LAND ROVER MIRRORS before ~'04 since they're absolute junk, and they drain their liquid crystal onto the dash, staining it, and frying the radio. Stick to the GenTex brand used in most vehicles (identifiable by "GNTX-###" molded into the front case) for commonality & reliability. It's critical to get the temperature sensor and pigtails, and don't forget the plastic conduit from the mirror base into the headliner. I also try to get the mirror mounting button just in case it's different, and there are at least 3 sizes/shapes that I've come across. Usually, twisting a wrench right up against the glass removes the button w/o cracking the w/s.

Read this caption & the NEXT several:

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Yes, several of the mirrors shown in subsequent pics have lights. But of the hundreds of mirrors I've looked at in JYs, very few dimming mirrors have had lights. I don't think I've ever seen a compass/temperature mirror with lights.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Yes, several of the mirrors shown in subsequent pics have lights. But of the hundreds of mirrors I've looked at in JYs, very few dimming mirrors have had lights. I don't think I've ever seen a compass/temperature mirror with lights.

They exist, just very difficult, rare to find. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENTEX-341-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item232f26e7a3&vxp=mtr

or go aftermarket: http://www.etrailer.com/Mirrors/CIPA/CM36500.html

http://www.amazon.com/Gentex-GENK30...rature/dp/B001OTMSM4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Steve, if you want an auto-dimming rearview mirror with dual switched LED map lights, let me know, I have 1 left.

mattt

Bronco Guru
What does make sense? I'm just telling you what I've seen available as an OEM offering in the junkyard. I have never seen the CIPA 36500 or GENK30 in the junkyard or on the cheap. I hope you find an OEM application for autodim, compass, temp, & map lights and share the application with us in this thread. I have yet to find it.

One other thing I thought of today regarding the mirror w/ every function & Homelink.....if you're worried about the garage door opener buttons, just don't program them to open the door. They have to be programmed/synced with your door opener. Just an idea....

Last edited:

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
[/topic]
Steve, if you want an auto-dimming rearview mirror with dual switched LED map lights...
I don't - I was just telling him what I've seen in the JYs. I don't want interior lights in front of me, and I've recently upgraded to a GM eyeball dome lamp:

I'm about to have to build a RV mirror since the one I need doesn't exist: dimming compass temperature WITH AutoDimmingBrights sensor. I just have to figure out how to hang the brights sensor module off the temperature mirror base, but that little job hasn't made it to the top of the list yet... Right now, I'm working on A/C, steering wheel, front bumper, & rear driveshaft.