• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LineX & POR-15

Steve72

I'm a newbe an doing a frame off resto of a '72 I am concidering using LinX on the entire inside tub and painting the entier under carrage with POR-15. I'm sure this would be durable but I concerned about noise and heat. With no padding and carpet I'm afraid that both could get a little unbearable.

THis will be a street car primarily and long road trips are to be expected.

I really appreciate the advice, Thanks, Steve

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I think the line-x will make the inside durable, and will keep the rust down.... if you are worried about the noise, why don't you put down some insulation and carpet over the line-x? When I get around to my project, I am going to do just that, line-x or something similar, maybe even POR-15, then lay carpet and insulation.... There are a few guys on here that have experience with POR-15, so hopefully they will let you know. Might be better to POR-15 then insulate and carpet on the interior.

Dave

OP
OP
S

Steve72

Lizard Skin looks interesting

The Lizard Skin looks interesting put I don't think its as durable as I need. The idea is for a durable "carpet substitute" I'm certain that the LinX would be great and the more I think about it the sound should be fine but the heat may be bad.

Is there any one out there who has tried the LineX, Rino Liner or Herculiner as a carpet replacement? What it hot? Was it noise?

Thanks, Stev

biggreenbronco

Loc.
mooresville
i work in a ford resto shop and from my experience por-15 isnt that good.....it will not stick to rust or nething, it has to be sandblasted or new for it to stick...my 2 cents

bronco italiano

Bronco Guru
SHEMP Walker linex'd hi bronco and I too was concerned with heat issues as black absorbs heat. I am amazed to say that it never got hot, even in the central call 100+ degree weather. BI

BuiltFordTough

Loc.
Louisville
I had a linex liner in my f250 and hated it worst $ I ever spent. It did not hold it color (black). A plastic shovle tore it to shit. The dealer told me that that was normal. Had a Rino lining put on after that like it 1,000% better. It has a much more rubbery feel and hold stuff in place.

blakerj10

Loc.
Gillette
Do line-x on both sides... then it would be 1/2'' thick or better. I bet it would be quiet then.
This is what I plan to do.

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
The LizardSkin is supposed to go on the underside of your Bronco. Then you put LineX or whatever onthe inside. I am going to do POR-15 on the underside with a topcoat of LizardSkin over the POR-15. Then I will Durabak the interior.

OP
OP
S

Steve72

LizardSkin & Durabak

The POR-15 with LizardSkin undercoat is an excellent idea. I am concidering POR-15 followed by lizardskin and followed by Durabak for the interior. I'v spoken to both manufactures an they agree it should work (of course no gaarantees). It breaks down to an additional $180 for additional insulation. What do you think of Durabak over LizardSkin?

68ford

Bronco Guru
blakerj10 said:
Do line-x on both sides... then it would be 1/2'' thick or better. I bet it would be quiet then.
This is what I plan to do.
just wondering, but how much would that weigh?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I too am going Line-x inside and underneath. Wheel wells and engine compartment too. Weight...not too concerned. A few extra pounds is worth the piece of mind (rust), quiet and heat protection. Good luck with your choice.

blakerj10

Loc.
Gillette
well, I have seen estimates like 80 lbs for an 8 ft. truck bed at 1/4 inch. I would guess it would way 160-200 lbs total if it was applied to both sides ofthe bronco. Pretty insignificant really... compared to my suspected benefits.

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
BuiltFordTough said:
I had a linex liner in my f250 and hated it worst $ I ever spent. It did not hold it color (black). A plastic shovle tore it to shit. The dealer told me that that was normal. Had a Rino lining put on after that like it 1,000% better. It has a much more rubbery feel and hold stuff in place.

Your dealer clearly doesn't like Line-X. I've had it in my truck for over 5 years and have beat the hell out of it. Not a single chip, gouge or piece missing. I have to agree though, the color doesn't hold well. They have a spray sealer that is supposed to keep the color better.

In response to the original post the Line-x - I put Line-X in my EB and it has held up well. Heat isn't an issue and I'm not sure about sound, my exhaust is pretty loud :)

tmann166

Just wondering how mud comes off the line-x in the wheel wells. I am planning on doing something similar to cover up the bare metal.
Thanks,
Tyler

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
tmann166 said:
Just wondering how mud comes off the line-x in the wheel wells. I am planning on doing something similar to cover up the bare metal.
Thanks,
Tyler

Probably about as good as mud comes off of anything. Once it dries, I need to pressure wash the underside of my truck anyway. I figure that a pressure wash will clean it right out of the line-x too. The nice thing is there will be alot fewer cracks and crevices for it all to get into, so I am hoping it cleans better than without. Can it really be worse than undercoating?? And the crappy thing is that the undercoating gets pressure washed away. Good luck.

70HalfCab

Loc.
Mandeville, LA
I Rhino Lined the entire tub on my half cab and just have the underside painted. I think that with just the Rhino the inside of the cab is as quiet as it was with the carpet I had prior and much more durable.