• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Locked front end

rjcruz27

I just picked up a rough bronco that hasn’t moved for decades. When I loaded it on the trailer one front tire would turn. But by the time I got home both tires were locked up. What’s some ideas of where I should start?

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
More than likely the brakes are locked (shoes stuck to the drums). You can try and tap the drums with a dead blow hammer and it will sometimes break the shoes loose. Most of the time you just have to disassemble everything. You need to do that anyway as the wheel cylinders are probably filled with corrosion and wheel bearing will need grease if it’s been sitting outside for many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Drums rust and that wedges against the shoes. They can be a bastard to get apart. Remember that Bronco drums are suppose to be attached to the hub, take the bearings out to get the drum off. Sometimes you have to choose which parts to sacrifice to save the other parts. If you know that you are doing a front disk brake, you know you can just put an angle grinder to the drum to cut it open.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Yes do not do it this way. Patience and persistence. Yes take it apart at the spindle. OR BEAT THE LIVING HELL OUT OF IT LIKE A CAVEMAN AND SMASH IT OFF OF THERE.

Attachments

• drum front bang.jpg
    drum front bang.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
Yes do not do it this way. Patience and persistence. Yes take it apart at the spindle.

Cost of a new Raybestos front brake drum from RockAuto is $25.95.
Cost of a new Duralast front brake drum from Autozone is $44.99.

Considering the cost to disassemble the wheel hub, reseal and repack bearings, and turn the existing rusty brake drum...

If you can bust off that old junk cast brake drum in under 5 minutes with a hammer, I say ...Smash it with a hammer!

Patience and persistence is over-rated. It's a 50 year old junk brake drum...

66BlueGoose

Contributor
If you are concerns with free spin, check to make sure your hubs are unlocked and that the transfer case is not in 4H or 4L.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Yes do not do it this way. Patience and persistence. Yes take it apart at the spindle. OR BEAT THE LIVING HELL OUT OF IT LIKE A CAVEMAN AND SMASH IT OFF OF THERE.

I guess better than messing up the backing plate you probably cant get.
those drum prices including hub?

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
I guess better than messing up the backing plate you probably cant get.
those drum prices including hub?

Yes, much better. Bent back plates, mangled shoes, broken prybars, little chunks of broken brake drum...and plenty of bloody knuckles.

Naw, those prices are for the loose drum. But for me...if I'm buying a new hub and drum, I'm buying a hub and rotor, and it's getting disc brakes.

just need to find some 73-77 chevy K10 front brakes.