• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking at going Fullwidth. Have Question

COSCAG00

I have a line on a pair of axles out of a 79 F250 that has a Dana 44 front and a 60 rear. Would this be a good set to use to go full width. What I have right now is a Dana 30 and a small bearing 9 and they both need to be rebuilt. So my thought is to search for full width axles and build them up instead of dumping money into axles that aren't too ideal. This will not be a rock crawler, but more of a daily driver that occasionally gets out on trails. I have a 351w and a NP435 if that helps in the decision.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd say yes if your not going to abuse them and just want that wider stance. It will be a huge upgrade from the 30 and small bearing 9. What size tire are you running?

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I say it would be a great upgrade in strenth plus you will get big disc brakes.

OP
OP
C

COSCAG00

I'd say yes if your not going to abuse them and just want that wider stance. It will be a huge upgrade from the 30 and small bearing 9. What size tire are you running?

There wont be much abuse. I plan on running 35's but may step up to 37's if I could, but no larger.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Keep in mind that there's full-width, and then there's FULL-width. The 1/2-ton F150 D44/9" might be a better choice for you given your use and the fact that they're about 65" WMS-WMS versus 68.5" or wider for the 3/4 or 1-ton stuff. Also, the 3/4-ton D44/60 combo you're looking at isn't even in the same ballpark as a D60 front combined with D70/Sterling 10.25/14-bolt rear, but will take about the same amount of work and money to install.

I've gone through this argument myself and opted for the F150 D44/9" over the uber-stout D60/D70 route. I may regret it if or when I decide to go flog my rig on the trails, but I tend to be pretty light on the skinny pedal and like to drive my rig everywhere, not just to the trailer.

OP
OP
C

COSCAG00

Keep in mind that there's full-width, and then there's FULL-width. The 1/2-ton F150 D44/9" might be a better choice for you given your use and the fact that they're about 65" WMS-WMS versus 68.5" or wider for the 3/4 or 1-ton stuff. Also, the 3/4-ton D44/60 combo you're looking at isn't even in the same ballpark as a D60 front combined with D70/Sterling 10.25/14-bolt rear, but will take about the same amount of work and money to install.

I've gone through this argument myself and opted for the F150 D44/9" over the uber-stout D60/D70 route. I may regret it if or when I decide to go flog my rig on the trails, but I tend to be pretty light on the skinny pedal and like to drive my rig everywhere, not just to the trailer.

All good points. It looks like the axles are spoken for so maybe I need to take a few steps back and see what I really want/need. I just dont want to do things twice.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All of the D44 inner C's are interchangeable, so yes, Ford/Chevy/Dodge should be okay so long as you get the stub shaft at the same time and have compatible long and short shafts. If you actually plan on using the weight rating of the 8-lug wheel pattern, then you may want to consider stronger inner C's from Crane, Reid Racing, Parts Mike, etc, although you really just start pushing your weak links around once you start doing that.

Why exactly do you want an 8-lug D44?

OP
OP
C

COSCAG00

It does not necessarily have to be 8 lug. I just don't want to dump money into the axes I have right now as there is no point. The 8 lug just happened to be a good deal but it looks like it has passed, so I now I will keep searching. I am open to other axels for sure.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Get the axles form a 78/9 Bronco -

1 ton full width is WIDE

GRN_MEANIE

My suggestion would be to just make sure the c's for the radius arms are weld on, and not cast into the housing. When I did mine I just re-welded the c's where they would be on a stock eb and bolted it up. No funky angles that way. I also run wheels from a late model dodge p/u. Sucks it back in nice. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358582342.053916.jpg