• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for a full length bikini top for family cage.

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I'm not sure how else to describe it or what to call it but I'm looking for the fabric top that covers the front and rear seats (full length bikini top). I know most of the vendors sell the vinyl versions but I was hoping to find one out of the more durable material similar to the BC Broncos top. Was going to look at jeep stuff but figured I would ask here first to see if anyone has found something that works well. Thanks in advance.

Toddpole

Contributor
I run one of these. http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tropical_Breezer_Family_Cage_Top
It's been on for 2-3 years. I trailer my rig up to 450 miles one way with no problems. The air just flows thru. Before this I had a traditional vinyl bikini top. Even at half the length of the Breezer it held tons of heat. The Breezer gives great shade but lets the heats out and cooler air to flow thru. Great for West Texas sun.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Interesting ^ Any photos of that?

Also looking for something durable. The AZ sun will eat this stuff alive after a couple summers

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I looked at that one okie4570. I was hoping to get that same thing only In the tougher fabric like used in the BC top.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I looked at that one okie4570. I was hoping to get that same thing only In the tougher fabric like used in the BC top.

I haven't come across anything else made of that material. Look at Yeller's top, it's a sheet of machined aluminum.......looks great too. When/if mine tears, that's the route I'll go.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks. I have seen where people weld tabs on their cages and bolt the aluminum panels. Pretty cool when done right! Wish I would have thought about that before I had mine powder coated.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Matt. I had read through your thread when I did a search earlier. I might try and have one made only using the waterproof material (same as the Heep tops).

TN1776

Bronco Guru
A friend of mine hand-made one from Sunbrella fabric - he did all the work himself using his mother's sewing machine. It is pretty darn nice and its tough. My vinyl top is showing its age, I want to find an upholstery shop and have a custom top made from Sunbrella as well. I know it can't be that hard to do, I just want a very custom fit, better than something out of the box.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
You might have to get something custom made. I tried to use a family cage bikini I got from one of the vendors and didn't fit at all with my custom cage. Didn't match the lines and none of the tethers lined up with my pillars. Then I tried to modify and tailor it, ended up destroying the bikini in the process. Now it serves as soft liner for my shop shelves :))

So now I just run a Rampage soft top and usually always keep the windows zipped out.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Custom auto upholstery shop in your area? Go by and get a quote for a custom made top designed according to your specs.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can call us and ask for a custom as well. We make them in-house (relatively speaking, as it's in another building;D) and can utilize the same pattern, but with a different material I would think. Might at least be worth a call.

I'm not sure what limitations Donny (our upholstery guy) has, but one of the guys can certainly find out when he's in the office. I'd bet you can get just about anything.
A problem that can imagine might arise with something like this is simply material cost. Unless he can find it at one of his regular suppliers, the cost of enough material for just one unit might put it out of the acceptable realm for you.
That's when having someone local do it that deals with a particular fabric a lot might be the only feasible way.

Check around but give WH a call when you can too.

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Will do Paul. I'm going to see what I have around here locally. Probably easier since they can measure and fit with the bronco right there. If I dont have any luck I will give you guys a call.

brandenpro

Loc.
Salem, OR
Which way did you end up going on this?

I am in the market for a breezer mesh top, trying to decide between WH and Tom's. I dont really want perforated vinyl though.