• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

looking to get an aluminim radiator,advice?

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
have a 68 bronco that has a aluminum radiator and fan in it now..it was installed by the previous owner,and does not look like one specifically for a early bronco..fan does not work well at all,and is very close to the wp pulley

so,looking at a champion with their shroud/fan combo..has anyone bought the complete setup like that? and if so,any feedback ? have to notch the core support or not have much room from the pullies?

I plan to go efi here in a few months and will at that time,put a late model explorer front accessories drive on the front..which will give me more for sure,but trying to see what fits well with what I have now.

any advice from others that have gone this route with a champion or another brand? thanks!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you're looking to upgrade go back to a good 3 core copper radiator. Better cooling and more durable. I run the bc 3 cores in both broncos with 361s

Brewbro21

I agree why aluminum? The cool factor? If you want a step up the the 3 core go with the triple bypass one the BCbroncos sells. I have it and my rig stays at 180 all day no matter where or how I'm driving. Even been in Moab in August never saw anything above 180 degrees. Plus it's cheaper then an aluminum too.

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
I plan to go efi here in a few months QUOTE]

If you're looking to upgrade go back to a good 3 core copper radiator. Better cooling and more durable. I run the bc 3 cores in both broncos with 361s

If you want a step up the the 3 core go with the triple bypass one the BCbroncos sells. QUOTE]

Maybe I am missing something here I am not a radiator guy. But if you buy a 3 core triple bypass and have the inlet / outlet switched to run EFI doesn't that make it a two bypass? and if so wonder why no one offers a 3 core triple bypass for EFI

Brewbro21

I don't know about the EFI thing but if you just switch the input and output it would still be a triple pass the fluid would still travel the same path but in reverse, correct?

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Ok everyone is going to go back and forth on the whole copper vs aluminum radiator but you asked for an aluminum radiator. This is the one I'm running and a lot of others on here as well http://www.championradiators.com/Ford-Bronco-5.0-conversion-radiator-1966-1967 its set up for the 5.0 efi serpentine belt set up so the inlet and outlet are on the correct sides. The only issue is if you are going to run an automatic the cooler built in is not ideal as its plumbed on the wrong side so run an auxiliary cooler and you should be good.

canzelc

Contributor
I have the radiator in the link above. I have been very happy with it. I was going to go with their shroud and electric fan combo but I am running mustang front dress and the shround/fan combo would not fit (accourding to the measurements given to me by champion over the phone.)

BTbronco

I m running a champion radiator, Ron Davis fan shroud with factory fan. Never had an issue.

OP
OP
ricky

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
hey guys with the champ radiators..what radiator brackets do you have to use for them? can anyone tell me how deep the radiator/fan combo is that you guys are using? like the one in the link above? wonder if it will fit with my factory front accessories right now? thanks!

Last edited:

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
If you are going EFI take a look at the Explorer serpentine swap and the Explorer radiator options - super cheap, work amazingly well and can be found at parts stores everywhere you go. I've had one cooling my 351w flawlessly for years.

OP
OP
ricky

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
I just recently noticed others using the explorer radiators..mines a c4 right now,but plan to go with a 347 4R after I get the efi sorted out..what year explorer is best to get the radiator for? and how is it installed? the previous owner put a no name aluminum radiator in mine,with a junk elecrtric fan..so,i don't have any of the factory radiator mounts or fan..i really like the looks of the explorer serp parts..but there are no junk yards near me

TOOLMAN

hey guys with the champ radiators..what radiator brackets do you have to use for them? can anyone tell me how deep the radiator/fan combo is that you guys are using? like the one in the link above? wonder if it will fit with my factory front accessories right now? thanks!

For the three core Champion, I'm running the WH 4-core brackets. I think the WH brackets are just Drake repo's.

thorgan

I think the Explorer radiator is pretty slick. You want one from the more square Explorer which should be 1990 to 1994 running the 4.0 V6. Make sure it's not a single core unit. I think Summit has them brand new for under $100. I'm running a Lincoln Mark VIII single speed electric fan on mine with the explorer water pump and timing cover to make room. Even so, I had to push the radiator through the core support to make it fit. This might not be necessary if you go with a Taurus fan which would have been my second choice.

I still am amazed that it keeps my 427 Windsor cool. I'll be crossing my fingers once I've got an A/C condenser out front. As it is the fan will cycle on for about 2 minutes and then off for maybe another minute before coming on again if it's sitting in the driveway and not moving in 110 degree heat. I'm pretty happy with that. I towed a small Toyota pickup over a 7000 ft pass from sea level in summer heat with no temperature issues (other than the left header got so hot it melted my speedo cable)

dprio34

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Ricky, The 5.0 Explorer Radiator is too wide and will not fit between the frame of the Early Bronco. However, the 1994-1995 4.0 Bronco Radiator will fit. You want both the cooling hoses off of the 5.0 liter Explorer and the Explorer 90 degree thermostat neck and a 180 degree thermostat.

Lower Radiator Hose - splice Dayco #71985 to Dayco#71380 using a 1.5” piece of tube for the splice to clear cross member. (That is if you use the A/T Radiator with the 45 degree outlet).

Word of caution, if you don't have a body lift, you will either have to trim the fan shroud or use an electric fan. Good Luck.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Use the mechanical fan off of the explorer dress, it will far out cool and be quieter than any electric, and it will not get full of dirt and stop working.........