• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

loss of power when going uphill

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I experienced a strange occurrance while driving throught the mountians this weekend. Going up even the slightest incline would cause me to lose power. I was cruising along at 65mph when I was hitting these hills, and even flooring it I was losing speed. I ended up using third gear up most of them. The two thoughts that I've had about the cause are that my carb is running too rich, or because of the body lift I put on a while back, the linkage to my carburator isn't allowing the throttle to open up fully. Anybody else experienced this after installing a body lift? It may not even be that, its just an idea I had. Any suggestions would be helpful. It kind of pisses me off to be passed by rice burners.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
It could be you're not opening the butterflies far enough, or the timing could not be advancing fully, it will have absolutely no cruising power if the vacuum advance is not working. So look around for the vacuum advance line to the carb.