• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lost in my garage

bigred1

Loc.
Orange
Okay, I'm ready to admit it... I'm completely lost in my garage. After stumbling through a couple routine mechanical procedures, I've realized that I need to know more about the basics of working on a vehicle before I do some serious damage to my Bronco or myself.

Figuring that taking a class would be a good place to start, I have been looking around at the local community colleges. Unfortunately, most of what I've found have been classes geared towards modern day vehicles. So now I'm looking for a good book or two that will give me the background that it seems most of you already have. Any recommendations?

OP
OP
bigred1

bigred1

Loc.
Orange
I really appreciate the help and have learned a lot from older posts. My problem is that I don't have a real handle on the basics of how the different components work individually and as a whole. I'm hoping to find a good resource that breaks everything down from the electrical system (rules about grounding, etc.) to the internal combustion engine and everything in between. I'm talking basics here... Think one step up from a pop up book.

Right now I'm trying to work out a problem with the gas gauge... A friend suggested I check to see if the selector switch might be the problem (it was after I switched back and forth that the gauge went dead). As I'm looking through the shop manual to see what I have to do in order to access that switch, I realized that 99% of what I was looking at may have been written in German for as much sense as it made to me. Which is what made me decide to see if I could find some help with the basics.

But while I have your attention... :) What would I have to do to get at that selector switch?

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm in the same boat Big Red but taking a class is not near as fun as working on your Bronco and learning as you go. Local Bronco clubs are another good way to learn. I am surprised at how helpful the Auto Parts stores have been.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I agree CB.com is a world of wealth and having a book would be nice but no one has come out with one geared towards broncos directly books on mustangs and f100 do help some there is a ford resto-mod book that I like but for the most part if you need help just ask here as for the selector switch you could remove it from the dash or try and back prob it from under the dash to remove if I remember right you can use a screwdriver to turn the special nut on the front bezel or buy the special tool from one of the vendors I don't remember if it a regular nut on the front I'm sure someone else will chime in soon

bigbarf48

Loc.
Stone Mountain, GA
Im in that same boat. Right now Im working on a Taurus (head gasket :() and the guys here have been pretty darn helpful when Im lost or think I might have f'd up ;D.

A class may help, I think Im gonna take one senior year

Also, believe it or not, Wikipedia/Googling has helped me learn the most BASIC of things. Granted I wouldnt recommend Wiki for in-depth stuff, but its good for getting an over-arching base

Good luck

Last edited:

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I taught myself at the age of 12 by reading books and just trying it plus I made friend's with a lot of old timer hotrod builders and paid close attention to what they told me. By the time I got into high school and took automotive classes I had learned more than most of the other students learned the whole time they where there. So hands on is the way to go books will get you the basics and theory and most classes will focus on newer cars so find someone near by that has worked on older cars and make friend's with them to get some help main thing pay attention to what they tell you as working on classics is almost a lost art.

Bundy

Bronco Guru
YouTube for basic fundamentals; i.e. how a V8 combustion engine works or automotive electric basics. There are so many tutorials on there from aftermarket guys and home mechanics. You would be surprised at how specific you can be in your searches too.

And the Chiltons manual is a good start. Spend hours reading everyone elses tech issues on here for a year and you'll pick up alot. That's how I learned.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Like many here...I'm in the same boat. I started repairing and upgrading this thing 2 years ago and really didn't know much about anything when it came to cars....especially the mechanics of it. I had to put aside my "get it done right now" attitude and learn to research each and every project. Like mentioned, this board, manuals, and YouTube can be a great help if used correctly.

I'm very happy I've taken the time to learn everything along the way....it makes it MUCH easier to fix things as they break (again) and I also don't have to worry about some mechanic charging me through the nose to fix something you can buy at a parts shop for pennies and fix myself.

Just dive into it, be patient, and you'll have a great time.

(By the way, I had the same issue with the gauge....my selector switch was fried...new one fixed it.) Here's the bezel too you need... http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Bezel_Nut_Tool/Bronco_Dash_Switches

6399.jpg

OP
OP
bigred1

bigred1

Loc.
Orange
You guys rock. I found a copy of the Chilton's manual and am going through it now. Between that, YouTube and the old posts on here, I've got some serious (but fun) homework ahead of me. Airbur, thanks for the heads up on the bezel tool... saved me a WTF moment down the road. Looking forward to sharing my progress and frustrations with you all.

travis77

Loc.
Pasadena MD
I was in the same boat as you when I got mine about 5 years ago until I stumbled across this site. Ask questions no matter how dumb you think they are, and become a contributor. Posts with pics get answered much quicker and better, it's the best 12 bucks you'll ever spend. In a class, 50% of the things you'll learn will have nothing to do with a bronco. Save the money on the class and get a good set of tools....and a fire extinguisher. Oh, and send Viperwolf a fruit basket or something.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I haven't visited the site in a while, but howstuffworks.com is great. They explain things in simple terms and have good videos and illustrations.

The bottom line though is that doing it yourself is by far the best way to learn. If you want to learn how an engine works and you're just not getting it by reading, go to the junkyard or craigslist and pick up a motor for $100. Tear it down and put it back together and your knowledge will expand greatly! Same goes for differentials, trannies, transfer cases, whatever. As already stated, the folks here are a tremendous help as well.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
One thing I would suggest if you don't have someone that you know that can help you is to establish a relationship with a mobile mechanic. Have him come and diagnose the issue's that you have, have him explain (with the Chilton manual) what is wrong, the theory on how the part works and how to fix it. Then do the repair yourself, if you don't feel comfortable with your work, have him come back and check it when you are done. Many will be happy to get an hour or twos work and it is like having a personal instructor. As time goes on you will find yourself needed them less and less.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Welcome aboard . And we all still mess up at times . I'm almost 62 and I'm still using a Motors Manual that my mother gave me for Christmas at about 17 .. It was for my 1966 SS NOVA then. But now it's for my Bronco . What a great gift that could last the test of time.
...But ask on here and you might start by asking do I need to do this or not.

OP
OP
bigred1

bigred1

Loc.
Orange
I ordered a new switch and a bezel tool from Tom's Bronco Parts and after swapping it out am happy to report that I now know how much gas is in my tank! Thanks for all your advice and support... I'm ALMOST looking forward to something else going wrong!

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Glad everything worked out and as Papitt said we all still mess up but thats how you learn don't be afraid to ask questions here no mater how lame you may think it is the only bad question is the one you dint ask

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
We all started some place and now is as good as anytime. The first place to look is for a Ford Factory service manual set for your year Bronco. It also covers all the trucks. Second find a 4wd club and hang out with them. Socal Broncos is a good group and in your neck of the woods. You can get in touch with them in Yahoo groups. There are alot of Bronco brethern in your neck of the woods. You have alot of resources close at hand except part houses. Most Bronco parts will have to be shipped in from out of state. Become good friends at your local NAPA They are more helpful than other auto parts unless you have a local private establishment around with a bunch of us old guys working there. Modern auto parts stores are full of usless corporate robots who cant find a part that esists longer than 15 years ago let alone 40. Fix all the small problems before they become a big problem. Get the fastest computer and best internet connection you can afford as since you have a Bronco you will be using that computer more than anything you have used before. Get a good digital camera. A picture can save a hundred words trying to discribe that thing under there with a wire in the side and 2 bolts that got ripped off by a rock on the last trail run and I dont know what its called or where it goes but do I still need it? You have the greatist Bronco resource right here so don't be afraide to used it. Keep a good humor when somone posts some stupid comments, for every idot there are 200 of us willing to help you. For every question you ask there will be responces please come back and tell us the out come of you repair good or bad it helps us all. Everything you need to do has been done here before so do a search or ask the questions first. we can save you alot of headaches and save you a ton of cash by starting off right or not to redo something else later.
Welcome to the family.