• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LUBR with 31 inch tires. What size wheels?

JAFHR

Loc.
Bend Oregon
I've looked at the history but haven't quite understood it. I have 1969 LUBR and have the opportunity to buy Toyo MT 31X10.5X15 What would be the correct width and back spacing for a 2.5 inch Wild Horse lift. Is the Toyo's MT a tire to use in this application

Thx

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The generally accepted width is 7" with a 4" backspacing for easy clearance. I do believe someone here just said that theirs rubbed ever so slightly with a certain mud tire (wide lugs) but not with the all-terrain version of the tire.

Do you have wheels now? Stock or aftermarket?
If you have 8" wheels you can sometimes get away with 4" backspacing too, but it's so close that I bet some tires will rub too. Every Bronco is different comes into play here too!

No wider than an 8" wheel for both fitment and proper tire mounting. A 9 or 10 inch wide wheel is just too much wheel for a 31x10.50 in my opinion. But it's also harder to make the tires fit under the rear fender with the wider wheels.
So my vote is for sevens.

Paul

OP
OP
JAFHR

JAFHR

Loc.
Bend Oregon
The generally accepted width is 7" with a 4" backspacing for easy clearance. I do believe someone here just said that theirs rubbed ever so slightly with a certain mud tire (wide lugs) but not with the all-terrain version of the tire.

Do you have wheels now? Stock or aftermarket?
If you have 8" wheels you can sometimes get away with 4" backspacing too, but it's so close that I bet some tires will rub too. Every Bronco is different comes into play here too!

No wider than an 8" wheel for both fitment and proper tire mounting. A 9 or 10 inch wide wheel is just too much wheel for a 31x10.50 in my opinion. But it's also harder to make the tires fit under the rear fender with the wider wheels.
So my vote is for sevens.

Paul

I haven't gotten either yet. I have a friend with brand new Toyo MT tires on some wheels from a 94 bronco. It's 9 inch wide and they are pretty close. A lot closer than I want. I'm trying to find wheels now. I am currently looking at the American Racing AR969Ansen They are 8inch wide with a 3.75 setback. Will these work?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...They are 8inch wide with a 3.75 setback. Will these work?

Not based on what I've already said. Or at least, not in most cases.
I have a friend with aluminum ProComp wheels with that spec, 31x10.50 all terrains and 3.5" overall lift.

It clears most of the time, but it's super close. It rubs when the suspension is cycling hard enough, such as with passengers in the back.

Paul

OP
OP
JAFHR

JAFHR

Loc.
Bend Oregon
Not based on what I've already said. Or at least, not in most cases.
I have a friend with aluminum ProComp wheels with that spec, 31x10.50 all terrains and 3.5" overall lift.

It clears most of the time, but it's super close. It rubs when the suspension is cycling hard enough, such as with passengers in the back.

Paul

Ok, he has an inch over me. I guess I have to keep looking. Any suggestions of wheels that are in that spec.

Thx

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not off hand. I'd have to look around but the style is such a personal choice it's usually up to you to look and see what fits your tastes then hope it has the right sizes available!
Which is not always the case these days unfortunately.

I'm sure some others will have suggestions though. Lots of recent wheel changes and active searches going on. Someone will likely be right in the middle of what you're doing now.

Paul