• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Maiden shakedown run with a few problems

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Finally got the 74 tagged and insured so I could really drive it more than jist around the block. Feels good to have it back. Nothing blew up or leaked. She does run a bit hot, but I expected that since it is a .030 overbore. (190 on the freeway 210 in traffic). Cooling I can handle, but I've got a few issues I need guidance with:
Problem #1
Newly rebuilt C4. (I trust this guy since he has done 6 trannys for me in the past). Problem is he's 250 miles away. Hoping I can just adjust i myself. Soooo, it doesn't want to shift all the way back into first when you come to a stop. Manual shift down and then back to drive and it is fine. Shifts hard into second then kinda slides into high. Shift points are about 8-10 mph, 18-20 mph and about 28-30. What would cause this?

Problem #2
The power band is flat. Nothing from 800rpm up to around 1500rpm. Idles fine, in and out of gear. Holds 800rpm dead steady in gear. hold it first and run up to 2800 shift to second and run up to 3500 - 4000 and it starts stumbling and skipping. Timing???? I installed a comp cams RV cam along with all new internals. Balanced lower end. It revs well with no load but is a dog in gear.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

behemoth

Bronco Guru
I would check the vac line to the transmission and the modulator valve. I had similar issues with one bronco.

GaBronco

Loc.
South Ogden
Problem #1
Newly rebuilt C4. (I trust this guy since he has done 6 trannys for me in the past). Problem is he's 250 miles away. Hoping I can just adjust i myself. Soooo, it doesn't want to shift all the way back into first when you come to a stop. Manual shift down and then back to drive and it is fine. Shifts hard into second then kinda slides into high. Shift points are about 8-10 mph, 18-20 mph and about 28-30. What would cause this?

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure how you are getting three shift points out of a C4! :eek:
Mines only a 3 speed transmission...

OP
OP
phred

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Not sure how you are getting three shift points out of a C4!
Mines only a 3 speed transmission...

Yep exactly right. All excited about sorting out the stuff and add a shift. scratch the 3rd shift. Just about 8-10 mph, 18-20 mph.
Adjusted the timing is was a lit low. Now I have it set around 8 degrees btdc. I'll try and see how that does. Spent the day check in over a few things and modified the fan shroud to be about a 270 degree enclosure. Should pull more air through the radiator.

I'll check the vac lines and modulator. It may be loose.

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
Couldn't it also be that small spring in the valve body that is right there when you remove the pan? Mine was upside down and wouldn't shift from 1st to 2nd on its own.