• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Manual to PS Shaft Conversion

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
I have a '72 manual steering column and steering shaft. I bought a '77 EB power steering setup. Now I need to convert my manual steering shaft to work with the '77 EB power steering box. I'm not sure what I need to do. I don't want to pay $250 for a steering shaft, but I will if that is the only option. HELP! Pictures are always good. :)

Thanks,
Scott

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
I wish I could help but... I took the steering column out of the same Bronco I took my power steering box from. With the 3" BL, I just cut the support bracket from the column and let the whole thing slide in where it needed to be and re-welded it to the support bracket.

Not much help I know but.. .hopefully a new idea will come to you from the few useless ramblings of mine. ;D ;D ;D

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you tried to looking for a 76,77 column? BCB has a steering kit that has ujoints and lower shaft. You just need to measure, cut and weld the ujoint to manual shaft. Thats what I have. Works good.

Eugene

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
i did a ps conversion on my 69 no body lift, and i just bought a steering shaft u joint from toms (actually they recommend 2 u joints one up by the firewall and one down by the box) but i only used one by the box. otherwise i just had to cut the shaft down a bit and i was good to go

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
I did the Flaming river double u-joint shaft. Worth the money. It is done right the first time.

Do not weld these u-joints to either the PS box, or your old steering column.

I got the one joint with a splined end to match my PS box. The other joint is a 3/4" double D end. I just ground down my old steering column shaft to the double D dimensions and it fit and works great.

MEASURE TWICE, EVEN THREE TIMES AND CUT ONCE!