• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Master Cylinder to Firewall Plate Bolt Size

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

(Honest... I have searched here, and there is nothing in the shop manual.)

I removed the bolts that hold the master cylinder to the firewall backing plate in hopes of installing the Astro Van hydroboost unit.

Most of the bolts seems a little tight coming out (including the 2 above the master cylinder bolts that are used with the Astro Van install plate); but, I really didn't think there was a problem.

Trying to reinstall them, they really don't feel right. I am using the same bolts that came out for the install, although I'm not sure exactly which bolt came form which of the 4 holes. I am afraid I might be cross't threading the female portion on the backing plate, although when I remove the bolts afer working them in part way, the bolts show no sign of cross-threading.

Just to make sure the previous owner used the right bolts, can someone tell me what size they should be? I don't want to mess thinngs up any worse than they might already be. (I have PB'd them, used assembly lubricant, worked them slowly in, and then out a little, then in some more. It just doesn't feel right.

Knowing the bolt size will at least let me check that off the list.

Thanks

Jeff

chriswitt

good tap and Die set and some Anti Seize... 2 of the best things i have been using for my frame off project. I would clean the threads out with a tap and then you will never have any issues.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Chris,

good tap and Die set and some Anti Seize... 2 of the best things i have been using for my frame off project. I would clean the threads out with a tap and then you will never have any issues.

The tap was on my list for today.

Thanks

Jeff