• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MaxJax or ?

Jaybr

Contributor
Hey guys,

I won't get into all the details as to why I've had this MaxJax for 2 years and never installed, but I'd like your opinions and experience on this. I have a MaxJax that my wife gave me for Christmas 2019, at the time I didn't have the ceiling height for a standard lift. I've since moved and built a new garage, had it built with a 6" floor and have trayed trusses over 1 bay giving me over 12' height.

What I'm considering is selling the never installed MaxJax and getting a heavier duty standard 2 post lift. The MaxJax has a lift height of 48", and capacity is 6k, while this is useful I now have capability to go better.

My thoughts on a standard lift is I could go higher capacity, which would be useful if I ever want to work on my Tundra or Landcruiser which would push the weight capacity of the MaxJax, and I could get something with closer to 6' lift height which would be easier on my back working under the vehicle. I'm 6'2"

Seems like I could up my game for probably probably $2-3k by selling the MaxJax and purchasing something bigger.

Is it worth it? And what size/brand would you recommend? I know nothing about lifts, but I'm thinking something in the neighborhood of a Bendpak XPR-10.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
get what you want its cheaper than a bad back. if its worth it only you can decide. you have had a lift for 2 years and didn't set it up to use it so is it worth it? Your spending a lot of money for something you didn't use. the 2 post high lift post will need substantial concrete and re-bar under it.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
get what you want its cheaper than a bad back. if its worth it only you can decide. you have had a lift for 2 years and didn't set it up to use it so is it worth it? Your spending a lot of money for something you didn't use. the 2 post high lift post will need substantial concrete and re-bar under it.
I didn't go into all the details of why it never got installed. Got the lift for Christmas, drilled holes to install and found I didn't have enough concrete. Had concrete pad cut and repoured which took a couple months to get a crew out. Had to wait for concrete to cure, and while that was happening we where house shopping in a new location. As we where then committed to moving, I didn't install lift. Few months go by and we close on a house and start the move, and a bunch of remodeling, dock extension, pool, patio, etc. Had to have a new detached garage built at new house, which took months to find a contractor and way longer than expected to finish with all the covid crap and material delays. All the while I held onto the other house because my broncos, tools, etc needed a home while I waited.

The move really screwed up my bronco projects. Not only has the lift been sitting uninstalled for 2 years, I have 2 crate motors that I've had 2 years and haven't opened the crates, new transmissions, long list of new parts to install but I've been separated from it all and now things have settled and I'm ready to get back at it.

I was very fortunate that all this sat in an unmonitored detached garage/shop with no visible neighbors for a year and nothing got stolen.

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I have never seen a MaxJax in person, but I do know that member dne007 has one in her shop and it looks like a very useful tool to have. Perhaps you could PM her and get her thoughts?

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/72-bronco-project-cypress-tx.311301/

Before going down the path of selling yours and buying a Bendpak, you might want to check on the availability of a new one. Could be a long wait with all the supply chain issues. Plus, finding a buyer for the MaxJax might take awhile.

What if you went ahead and installed the MaxJax so you could start on some of your projects and see how you like it? You didn't mention the size of your shop, but could you install the MaxJax in another bay (not 12' ceiling side)? It may get you by for a few years and you could add the larger lift at a later date.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
I can have a 10k Bendpak XPR-10s here in a month, which is not enough delay to worry about. I don't need to sell the MaxJax before I purchase a new lift, but space is a problem in the new shop right now and I prefer not to keep it around long.

Trying to make a decision now so I don't drill a bunch of holes in my new (epoxied) garage floor just to swap it out in a year or two.

Any feedback on Bendpak or other brands? Any recommendations on size if I go bigger? they have 7k in stock and I could have it in a week, is that big enough? My heaviest vehicle right now has a listed curb weight of 5800 lbs, so will come in under 7k with fluids, etc. That said the cost difference between the 7k and 10k is not that much and I tend to overkill everything :). I guess the one thing I need to check on is amp draw on the different sizes and power could be an issue.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
I'd get the 10k symetrical my preference ..Ive used 20 different lifts over the last 33 years in ground ,above ground 2 post,4 post drive on.. and a 2 post10k symetrical equal length arm is my preference for most things ....it's lifted everything from Miata's to 3500 series trucks ,as well as a few Packards..
Nothing really wrong with asymetrcal lifts just feel the symetrical are more stable with the heavier vehices.. my .02$
Bendpak..mohawk,,rotary... shouldn't have a problem with any of these...

power is not an issue pretty sure there on 20 amp circuit breakers....

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Listed the MaxJax on FB Marketplace yesterday and it's already sold with a backup buyer just in case.

Ordered a Bendpak 10k symmetric today and it will ship around 2/1. Would have preferred a Challenger or Rotary but they're months out on delivery.

Also found a big crack in my new garage floor right where a post needs to go and realized they cut a relief cut in the in the worst possible place, contractor is addressing that. Incredibly frustrating to have a 26x30 slab poured 6" instead of standard 4" specifically to avoid any issues with a lift, then the contractor (knowing about lift) cut relief cuts where post need to go, and have a 10' crack show up 6 months after poured.

mac14562

Listed the MaxJax on FB Marketplace yesterday and it's already sold with a backup buyer just in case.

Ordered a Bendpak 10k symmetric today and it will ship around 2/1. Would have preferred a Challenger or Rotary but they're months out on delivery.

Also found a big crack in my new garage floor right where a post needs to go and realized they cut a relief cut in the in the worst possible place, contractor is addressing that. Incredibly frustrating to have a 26x30 slab poured 6" instead of standard 4" specifically to avoid any issues with a lift, then the contractor (knowing about lift) cut relief cuts where post need to go, and have a 10' crack show up 6 months after poured.
Jaybr, for comparison purpose only, what did you pay to have your slab poured if you don't mind me asking. I'm wanting a 22 x 34 poured, 5in deep with a 2 foot section across the middle , 22' wide and 8in deep to accommodate a lift(probably the Triumph C7000). My 2 bids were 6000 and 7500, on a pretty flat grade. Oklahoma prices

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Jaybr, for comparison purpose only, what did you pay to have your slab poured if you don't mind me asking. I'm wanting a 22 x 34 poured, 5in deep with a 2 foot section across the middle , 22' wide and 8in deep to accommodate a lift(probably the Triumph C7000). My 2 bids were 6000 and 7500, on a pretty flat grade. Oklahoma prices

Sorry, I really have no idea. I had the whole garage built to plans I customized with an architect and spec’d it with the 6” floor. I had a general contractor do the build and don’t have a breakdown for the concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
After having to have the garage contractor come back and fix the floor, finally got the lift in today. Bendpack 10k Symetric. IMG_0053.jpeg

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Curious how the contractor addressed the control joint?
They cut out 4'x4' sections and re-poured tying into the existing slab with rebar. There was also a crack (already) in the area the right side post is placed.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
nice! i have a Quick Jack but it doesn't work with our radius arms. I use it primarily on my BMW