• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Media blasting near San Jose, CA?

rheiser

Can anyone recommend a place near San Jose that would do a good job stripping my Bronco’s body? It’ll be a learning experience for me, so any tips or help are appreciated, too.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know a guy in the Almaden area that has a mobile low-dust blasting unit. Not sure if you were hoping for more of a shop location, or if you would be ok with it being blasted on-site (or elsewhere) but if off-site, he generally uses a shop in Gilroy to do the messy stuff.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you meet with him for the blasting, you might even catch a cool Bronco project in the works too. He's built some pretty spectacular rigs.

Paul

OP
OP
R

rheiser

I know a guy in the Almaden area that has a mobile low-dust blasting unit. Not sure if you were hoping for more of a shop location, or if you would be ok with it being blasted on-site (or elsewhere) but if off-site, he generally uses a shop in Gilroy to do the messy stuff.

Paul

Interesting, I grew up in Almaden. And my sister lives in Gilroy. As far as mobile vs. shop; I hadn’t considered a mobile unit to be honest. It seems ideal, the only question is how much dust makes it to the neighbors’ yards, and how that could be minimized. Other than that, I guess seeing if someone has a rotisserie I could rent would be a good idea. Any other considerations?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's actually a dustless blasting rig, but not from the company of the same name.
Uses water with the media to keep dust down to very low levels. But doing it in the shop/yard setting in Gilroy still keeps the neighbors happy. The rig can still make a lot of noise, both from the big engine and compressor, and the actual blasting.

We have a rotisserie floating around the region too. I believe it's in Campbell right now, but not sure how much longer the guy is going to be needing it. One of our Bronco buddies in Prunedale made it for his, and now it's been through four other hands in the local group in the last couple of years.

Paul

JGO

Contributor
Can anyone recommend a place near San Jose that would do a good job stripping my Bronco’s body? It’ll be a learning experience for me, so any tips or help are appreciated, too.

It's my machine Paul is referencing. It leaves sheet metal ready for primer with a perfect texture. I have not had any problems with the paint jobs I have put over this process. It's LOUD so I blast in Gilroy where I don't bother anyone with the noise. I can send a video by text to give you an idea of the machines capability. If there is no bondo or undercoating it removes paint at about the same rate a spray paint can applies it.

Jim 408-219-129one

OP
OP
R

rheiser

It's my machine Paul is referencing. It leaves sheet metal ready for primer with a perfect texture. I have not had any problems with the paint jobs I have put over this process. It's LOUD so I blast in Gilroy where I don't bother anyone with the noise. I can send a video by text to give you an idea of the machines capability. If there is no bondo or undercoating it removes paint at about the same rate a spray paint can applies it.

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I'll send you a PM. Thanks for the info and pointers, everyone.