• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mico Electric Brake Locks

CowboyGrin

Contributor
the circus looks like fun
Loc.
Oklahoma
Anyone running electric Mico brake line locks and use them for anything less than a full stop brake? Wondering if one could be used to brake modulate a Truetrac rear diff with one wheel in the air.

I have a manual trans, so looking into options other than the brake pedal and/or parking brake to avoid being like Ron Shock shopping for van seats with Myrtle. 🤣
Not much room for a handbrake, so added benefit of non-mech parking brake with my rear discs might be worth the extra expense.

Mico’s documentation (https://www.mico.com/sites/default/files/documen—pdfs/80620004Electric%20Brake%20Lock.pdf) says a low pressure warning circuit would likely be triggered, so would either use warning light only or just bypass. My main concern is that it can hold low pressure to keep the Truetrac locked in while getting over the occasional rough stuff. Also, I assume the Mico will let additional brake pressure through if needing to full stop while modulating. That, or the front (non-locked) brakes will bring me to a stop when needed.

Any input appreciated. Not wanting a full or selectable locker at this time, and I understand the limitations of a typical line lock which the Mico is not from what I’ve read so far. Thanks.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
I run one for a rear parking/holding brake. It will hold whatever pressure you put on it when you activate the switch and will hold it until you deactivate the switch and then push the brake pedal past the point you originally pushed it when you set the switch.

OP
OP
CowboyGrin

CowboyGrin

Contributor
Loc.
Oklahoma
Thanks 76. Did you use the switch provided or can one use any type?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
What Tim is saying is why we bought the MicoLoc. Doesn't use any power to keep the brakes locked once you set it.

I spent forever researcing every brand of line lock out there as my 1997 Summit brand rear line lock had died. I had used one for frt and rear ebrakes continually since then. My frt still works but the rear died.

Like BucWild said, nobody rates their's for more than a minute anymore. 25 yrs ago there weren't limitations- I think it's a liability thing or else they are made so cheaply the electromagnet dies or something...

Anyway, Tim's using his already and I haven't hooked mine up yet but you wouldn't be able to modulate the brake for the locker because of having to push on it, AFTER it is locked to be able to release it. It's not like a line lock for doing launches.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
We use these in the comp world and extreme rec wheeling. Can use 2 of them and control each wheel separately or a single and split front to rear or each rear wheel. They work really well. I know you said you really don't have room for a turning brake, but its really the only way to accomplish what you are describing.
Turning brake

OP
OP
CowboyGrin

CowboyGrin

Contributor
Loc.
Oklahoma
Thanks for replies all. I really appreciate the insight.

Modulate was a poor word for me to use. I wasn’t anticipating to regulate the brake pressure once engaged, just applying enough drag to keep the Truetrac turning both wheels until I was out of the rough spot. Granted, I was going to take a penalty on torque getting to the ground but hoped a quick tap of the switch would restore full power to the wheels when needed. If what you say about reapplying the brake to release the lock is true, then that defeats my purpose of avoiding the pedal tap dance. I suppose I’ll go back to trying to make room for a handbrake.

Not sure I can convince myself to go that far and plumb the brake lines into the cab, but Yeller’s turn brake suggestion is fantastic. Reminds me of a cutting brake on a farm tractor.

Thanks again!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Every other brand except MicoLoc did not need the brake to be tapped to release. Just flip the line lock switch.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Thanks for replies all. I really appreciate the insight.

Modulate was a poor word for me to use. I wasn’t anticipating to regulate the brake pressure once engaged, just applying enough drag to keep the Truetrac turning both wheels until I was out of the rough spot. Granted, I was going to take a penalty on torque getting to the ground but hoped a quick tap of the switch would restore full power to the wheels when needed. If what you say about reapplying the brake to release the lock is true, then that defeats my purpose of avoiding the pedal tap dance. I suppose I’ll go back to trying to make room for a handbrake.

Not sure I can convince myself to go that far and plumb the brake lines into the cab, but Yeller’s turn brake suggestion is fantastic. Reminds me of a cutting brake on a farm tractor.

Thanks again!
wait until you figure out you can use a twin stick to unlock the rear axle, hold the hand brake and use the front pulling to drag you in a circle;). Lots of tricks you can do to make things go where you want with a twin stick and some turning brakes:cool:

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just to confirm it only uses owner to lock and unlock.
I never used those because I thought. would be a continuous battery drain,
thanks

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just to confirm it only uses owner to lock and unlock.
I never used those because I thought. would be a continuous battery drain,
thanks
Correct. Power to open/close the valve.

The Summit brand line locks I put on in the mid '90s were left on at least a 1/2 dozen times for as long as 5 days before they were noticed and shut off... battery was so dead an LED wouldn't light up and the 2 line locks were the only draw..
Never hurt (that's what I thought anyway) the line locks. Course one finally died so I have no idea if it was from my neglect or old age.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CowboyGrin

CowboyGrin

Contributor
Loc.
Oklahoma
Every other brand except MicoLoc did not need the brake to be tapped to release. Just flip the line lock switch.
Any of those other brands rated for longer than 10 secs and of similar quality as Mico?

OP
OP
CowboyGrin

CowboyGrin

Contributor
Loc.
Oklahoma
wait until you figure out you can use a twin stick to unlock the rear axle, hold the hand brake and use the front pulling to drag you in a circle;). Lots of tricks you can do to make things go where you want with a twin stick and some turning brakes:cool:
Sounds like a lot of tricks where things break badly. 😝 But definitely fun while it lasts.