• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mile marker hub problem

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I have Vidio to explain what is going on. Maybe this is ok but doesn't seem right to me. Both snap rings are in place. No noises and 4 wheel drive works good as I can tell.

Let me know if it is ok or what the problem is. I have never torn into one.

http://youtu.be/_oEmqgX9OIU

OP
OP
Blue Bastard

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
My guess is these don't fit as tight as the factory ones. Hoping someone has used these and can confirm how they fit I'm thinking number 13 is not there. This truck is new to me and am not sure what disk brake conversion is on there( I think Chevy conversion) and if the right hub was purchased.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I have the same problem on one of mine.

Hasn't caused me any problems.

Sorry, not much actual help.

OP
OP
Blue Bastard

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Well sorta^ are they mile marker? I am going for the snow run in a few weeks and want to avoid any problems if I can. The guy I bought this from had it done for a few years and put a few thousand miles on it. I don't think he wheeled it hard ever.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Yes, mine are MM.

On my loose one it is just the outer cover that is loose, not the entire hub as your vid shows.

I was going to get a thicker o-ring and shorten the bolts a little to see if that resolved it.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got those & installed them on new hubs. There is a little play but nothing like yours. Is the groove in the hub for the #7 snap ring warn? If so could you maybe fit 2 #7 snap rings in to take up the slack & tighten it up? I've never tried this & would probably end up getting new hubs anyway. Also the #13 spring gets removed when installing the MM lockouts so it shouldn't be in there.

OP
OP
Blue Bastard

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I was just looking at it more. Looks like the snap ring may be warn out. I might try buying a new one of those.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are two versions of that big ring, very thin sheetmetal version, and manly man thick one which bairly fits in the groove.

I also wager the spring is not right. That spring should have pushed the parts out very firmly. I have MM and it worked on mine. Might want to check that there is no binding inside where the spring rides along the walls.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
There are two versions of that big ring, very thin sheetmetal version, and manly man thick one which bairly fits in the groove.

I also wager the spring is not right. That spring should have pushed the parts out very firmly. I have MM and it worked on mine. Might want to check that there is no binding inside where the spring rides along the walls.

I think you nailed it.

OP
OP
Blue Bastard

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Snap ring for sure. Looks like I could put two in there. Thanks for the pointers.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My original hubs move about half that much. They were solid in the original drum hubs, but after I changed over to the disc brakes, they were just a bit looser.

If you don't get a permanent resolution to the issue before your trip, just seal the joint between the hub and lockout with either tape or silicone sealer.
Either one is temporary, until you fix it permanent, but either one will keep excess crud from getting in the gap.

Good luck. Let us know what you find when you get it all dialed back in.

Paul

Casey835

My MM hubs do same thing.
It's never caused an issue.
I've never dug into it but I will be soon as I want to check how everything is working in there.

mxer

Loc.
Gallipolis, OH
Mine has been that way for years same amount of play some grease seeps between lockout and hub that's it. I have warns on other bronco and they are tighter. Bought both sets new.

mxer

Loc.
Gallipolis, OH
Mine has been that way for years same amount of play some grease seeps between lockout and hub that's it. I have warns on other bronco and they are tighter. Bought both sets new

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Then either the snap ring is wrong or the spring is wrong. I've seen this as well, it was one of those two issues however.

OP
OP
Blue Bastard

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
The snap ring ony fills about half the groove (width) in the spindal not holding it in as deep as it should.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Looks like the retaining plate #8 is actually out past the edge of the hub opening. I'd try doubling up on the snap ring #7. Even if the both won't fit in the groove, a second one on the inside would work like a spacer, moving the retaining plate further back and couldn't really go anywhere. The only problem I can see is it may be tricky to getting it back there past the groove.