• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Motor lugs and cuts out in 4th gear under load. *Update* Fixed, Problem solved

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
This thing can't climb hills now in 4th gear around 2000rpm.
It feel like it runs out of fuel as I press on the throttle, I need to let off slowly to keep it running and by then I'm moving like 40mph.

Carb problem? Or ignition?

Last edited:

RT

Bronco Guru
The gas filter is clean ,,,,right ??

Even if it's not that old , I'd check on it .

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
which engine..what setup are ya talking about here, Mad?

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
bmc69 said:
which engine..what setup are ya talking about here, Mad?
351W, .030 over, Crower Baja Beast cam, '69 heads, Edelbrock performer intake, BC Broncos remand Quadrajet (earlier one), NP435, D20, 4.11 9" rear gear, 37" MTRs.

I'm on crunch time to figure this out.....

Fuel filter on the Quadrajet inlet cleaned out, Found crap in it.

Could the trash in the fuel lines screw up the mech. fuel pump?

I've switched carbs with a Holley DP and still got the same problem which got me looking into ignition problems or fuel delivery problem.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) Bad plug wires can do that under load. I had it happen to a new set of the nice yellow ones took a wile to fine as was the last place I went good luck.%) %) %) Bill %) :cool: ;D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Could the trash in the fuel lines screw up the mech. fuel pump?

my word yes..lost two pumps in rapid succesion on a recent Scout job due to that. Ran great..then just sort of fade away to nuthin. Gets all stuck up in the checl valve on the suction side of the pump. I run a suction filter on all my own rigs..and a nice big ole Sierra Marine spin-on filter/separator after the pump.

cbford

This is going to sound wierd (hehe), but I once had a muffler's guts rot out and block off the exit pipe partially and it did the same thing. I cursed that poor carb, fuel pump and dizzy for a week before I found it by accident.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, try this...
Get it up to the 40 MPH choke point.
Back off a little until it runs good then back off some more. Wait a few seconds and try again.
What I am trying to determin is if the fuel bowls are running dry. By backing off a little it gives them a chance to refill. If the power comes back then falls off, I would be checking fuel delivery.

Any chance of putting a pressure gauge after the filter that you can monitor while driving?

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
It was a bad mechanical fuel pump. I found a NIB Carter electric among my parts and hooked it up, Bypassed the mech pump with a new hardline.

Attachments

• DSC01405.JPG
    DSC01405.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01407.JPG
    DSC01407.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC01408.JPG
    DSC01408.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 16