• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Motor Mounts

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Just broke one of my motor mounts this weekend (along with the normal fan through the radiator result). I am looking at the Extreme Mounts that some of the vendors carry, but am hearing that they need to be modified to fit a '91 mustang HO motor (which is what I have). Anyone have any insight into what mods are needed or whether there are some heavy duty mounts that do not need to be modded?

Thanks

Update:
Did some digging and found some good info posted by Todd Z here:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187920&highlight=Extreme+motor+mount

Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Those tend to be a little taller than stock.

Duff always used to sell stock looking ones that had a big steel pin through the rubber so if they ever failed the motor wouldn't move too far.
Had mine for over 25 years. Not sure if they still have them or not.
Maybe they are more common today.

Galt72

Contributor
my extremes were so far off that I gave up on them.

76Bronco302

Loc.
Sherman, Tx
Far off as in how? I have the extreme and the drivers side valve cover is very close to the firewall. I don't recall this being the issue before I took the motor out for a rebuild.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Those tend to be a little taller than stock.

Duff always used to sell stock looking ones that had a big steel pin through the rubber so if they ever failed the motor wouldn't move too far.
Had mine for over 25 years. Not sure if they still have them or not.
Maybe they are more common today.

If you can find new, old stock, made in USA motor mounts by Anchor brand, they will have the big steel pin too. I called all over my local auto parts stores until I found some where that had the Made in USA ones. They looked like they had been on a shelf for quite a while. The more current ones were made in China and made in India.

I test fit the extreme duty motor mounts on my 351 when I did the install. I do not remember any interference mentioned here or in Todd Z's thread with the 351w. I chose to not run them to drop the engine as low as possible. Every 1/2-3/4" counts when you have a 351w and no body lift. The ones I have are West Coast Broncos version....might be different from WH, but I thought they were all the same.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I had to notch one of mine to fit the later 5.0/5.8 block. There was a lump on the block that interferes with a straight bolt on fit--I did not want to grind on the lump as I was not sure if a water port or just a casting lump. I know WH was made aware of the issue and I am not the only one who had the same problem.

Not a big deal for me as the engine was out and I could test fit until it mated up. Might be a bigger pain with engine installed.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you can find new, old stock, made in USA motor mounts by Anchor brand, they will have the big steel pin too. I called all over my local auto parts stores until I found some where that had the Made in USA ones. They looked like they had been on a shelf for quite a while. The more current ones were made in China and made in India.

I test fit the extreme duty motor mounts on my 351 when I did the install. I do not remember any interference mentioned here or in Todd Z's thread with the 351w. I chose to not run them to drop the engine as low as possible. Every 1/2-3/4" counts when you have a 351w and no body lift. The ones I have are West Coast Broncos version....might be different from WH, but I thought they were all the same.

Saw these but don't see the big steel pin

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ani-2329/overview/make/ford/model/bronco

mattt

Bronco Guru

Galt72

Contributor
It was the bolt holes on the brackets and mated to the motor. When bolted up the motor it sat crooked and one side was higher than the other. I struggled for days trying to make them fit. After reading threads on here it was clear the mount holes needed filled and redrilled. I used stock ones and everything went back together easy.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
These have the big pin but at $85 a piece I think I would go with something like in the tech article.http://m.napaonline.com/parts/PartsDetail.aspx?k=DTT6421265_0488300371
The something can be done to either style of motor mount you just drill out where the rubber comes out of the metal basically where the pin would be and put a bolt in you don't want to crank the bolt down all the way if you do your basically making a solid mount.
http://classicbroncos.com/tech/how-to-fix-a-broken-motor-mount-for-about-1-00

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had to notch one of mine to fit the later 5.0/5.8 block. There was a lump on the block that interferes with a straight bolt on fit--I did not want to grind on the lump as I was not sure if a water port or just a casting lump. I know WH was made aware of the issue and I am not the only one who had the same problem.

Not a big deal for me as the engine was out and I could test fit until it mated up. Might be a bigger pain with engine installed.

That's what I know as well. Takes longer to get the angle grinder out of the case and set up than it does to make the little clearance notch.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru

mattt

Bronco Guru
Thank you! Very helpful. I have some friends in the boondocks of Iowa and I'm going to ask them to go find me some.

No problem, glad to help. I spent some time on the phone first, before driving around to various stores. The Anchor brand I got were from Autozone, and if you get someone helpful on the phone, the "Made in ......" is stamped right on the box where the part # label is. Part # 2329 Good luck.