• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

msd cant figure it out

jimbos71

hello gotta problem . truck ran with the msd 6a to msd coil to points . i wanted to go mallory electronic ignition instead of points . cant seem to get it to work with the msd 6a are these compatible ?? and if so how does it hook up to the coil and distributor . I got the e ignition to work by removing the msd6a . thanks

bax

Contributor
Old Member
or an automotive engine hookup, the 6A should be attached as follows.

Red 18ga. wire - To switched 12 volts, ignition key wire.
Orange 18ga wire - To coil positive (+). Note: no other wires should be connected to coil (+).
Black 18ga wire - To coil negative (-). Note: no other wires should be connected to coil (-).
If triggering through a factory ignition or points.
White 18ga wire - To wire that was originally connected to coil negative terminal. Wire from the ignition amplifier or distributor points.
If triggering directly from a magnetic pickup distributor.
Violet 18ga wire - To magnetic pickup positive wire.
Green 18ga wire - To magnetic pickup negative wire.

Red 12ga wire - To battery positive (+).
Black 12 ga wire - To battery negative (-)

OP
OP
J

jimbos71

wow bronco buddy , went out and it worked . my problem was the dist wires still went to the coil . do i need a ballast on the red wire from the distr?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
usually you do need the balast resistor but check the paper work on your coil/dist. Coils usually need a resistor. Dists usaully dont.

OP
OP
J

jimbos71

it says i need one on the instructions for the mallory ignition in the ditributor

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Especially if it's a Uni-Lite, do what the instructions say. If it calls for a resistor, use it.
Most magnetic breakerless types don't use one because they don't actually get full battery power directly to the distributor anyway, so it doesn't apply.

Duraspark gets it's signal from the module.
Uni-Lite gets powered, usually with resistor.
Most other Mallory's don't, so a resistor doesn't apply.
Some MSD's do, some don't.
HEI's (DUI, ProComp, etc) get power, but I don't think need a resistor.
Pertronix Ignitor gets full 12 volts, no resistor. Guessing the Pertronix replacement distributors do too, but just a guess.

Always good to follow the instructions when utilizing an expensive electronic component.

Paul