• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MT Classic III, will I need wheel spacers?

ScottyP

I have a 2.5 inch suspension and one inch body lifts and I’d like to run 33x12.5x15 tires on 10 inch wide wheels. I currently have wheel spacers and I’d really like to eliminate them. Will the MTs work without and if someone could tell me which backspacing that would be awesome.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
What year is your Bronco? '76 and '77 don't have as much Clearence for the TREs.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No reason I can think of that you would naturally need spacers on a '71 with 10" wheels.
Unless there is a disc brake conversion installed that created a clearance issue. Especially true if it's a Ford swap to '76/'77 Bronco knuckles/brakes.
How is yours set up? What was on there before and how thick are the spacers?

And presumably your wheel well openings are cut and flared?

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I have a 2.5 inch suspension and one inch body lifts and I’d like to run 33x12.5x15 tires on 10 inch wide wheels. I currently have wheel spacers and I’d really like to eliminate them. Will the MTs work without and if someone could tell me which backspacing that would be awesome.

you should sign up for pics...

OP
OP
S

ScottyP

My fenders are cut. Has slot mags, 31 inch tires and 1 inch spacers that were on it when I bought it.

Dlesage23

I’ve got a 74 with the exact setup your describing, including the same wheels and tires. Check the pics in my garage, but I had no problem at all. Part No M/T90000001762

OP
OP
S

ScottyP

I’ve got a 74 with the exact setup your describing, including the same wheels and tires. Check the pics in my garage, but I had no problem at all. Part No M/T90000001762

Perfect. That’s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

OP
OP
S

ScottyP

Well, turns out it can’t be that simple and my 71 truck has tie rods from a 76. Can I get away with 15 inch wheels with 3.625 backspacing? Options with 3.5 or les BS seem to be very limited.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

ScottyP

From what I’m reading I think I’m stuck with spacers. I hope there’s some advantage to the 76 components since it adds to hassle with wheels. Next question, if I use a wheel like the MT with 3.625 backspace, getting me pretty close, any reason I can’t go from a bolt on spacer to a more minimal sandwich style spacer?

OP
OP
S

ScottyP

What’s my beef with spacers? I had the rear wheel off this new to me truck checking out the non-functioning parking brake and discovered these spacers. I apparently didn’t torque everything adequately after and had the wheel nearly come off on the road damaging several wheel studs. Attempting to fix that (on the road and back in my garage) I find that I can barely get a socket into the spacer to the lug nuts and I’m having trouble finding lug nuts thin enough to fit down into the spacer. I’ve never used spacers before and I’d sure be more confident with my wheels snugly next to the hubs.