• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Muffler Question

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
buckbronco76 said:
I need advice on purchasing mufflers on my 76. It has a 302 with a 280 crower cam, edelbrock 600 carb on top of a torker II with chevy 202 valves in the heads. No headers but I've been running glasspacks for years. The muffler shop guy said to put flowmaster 40 series on it. I checked on their website and there were several 40 series with different sounds. What is the best for my bronc? thanks.
Before you get to the mufflers, I have to ask why you aren't running headers? A Torker II is a mid to high range intake, meaning it operates best from 3000+rpm upwards. Without headers and an exhaust system that can flow with it, your carb, intake, and cam are very restricted. You need to get a set of headers on there first, otherwise your performance upgrades will be working at a fraction of their potential.
Now for the mufflers. I spoke to a gentileman at DNA (Direct Natural Airflow) at the last Speedorama car show. They are in the process of setting up jobbers in the US, and don't normally do direct sales. I explained to him about the size of the community, the loyality of the community (Thank-you), and the mass buys you guys do.
We talked about how I deal with you, giving you a discount, etc. He is looking into how they can do that, and developing a muffler directly for you. I have seen their products up close, I know several speed shops and racers that have switched from flow master to them, it is all good. Noise goes down, and so do the ET's. i.e. they flow better and are quieter. Their display stuff looks top notch, and everyone that is using them is saying good things about the quality.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
RRRAAAYYY2 said:
Before you get to the mufflers, I have to ask why you aren't running headers? A Torker II is a mid to high range intake, meaning it operates best from 3000+rpm upwards. Without headers and an exhaust system that can flow with it, your carb, intake, and cam are very restricted. You need to get a set of headers on there first, otherwise your performance upgrades will be working at a fraction of their potential.
Now for the mufflers. I spoke to a gentileman at DNA (Direct Natural Airflow) at the last Speedorama car show. They are in the process of setting up jobbers in the US, and don't normally do direct sales. I explained to him about the size of the community, the loyality of the community (Thank-you), and the mass buys you guys do.
We talked about how I deal with you, giving you a discount, etc. He is looking into how they can do that, and developing a muffler directly for you. I have seen their products up close, I know several speed shops and racers that have switched from flow master to them, it is all good. Noise goes down, and so do the ET's. i.e. they flow better and are quieter. Their display stuff looks top notch, and everyone that is using them is saying good things about the quality.

Is there a website for DNA?
I'm interested in checking out what they have got. Thanks

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bandit said:
I agree,I've had some great exhaust jobs done,and some that give me nightmares,I was lucky to get mine done as professionally as it turned out.I traveled 125 miles to get someone to do the Hushpowers, I've seen some exhaust artists,in the south,but in the Wyoming,Idaho area I wont hold my breath anymore.I really cant stand turning the mufflers edgewise.I really dont think the Hushpowers are long compared to alot of mufflers,I thought about it for along time,and checked dimensions,I would put them in again,they fit better than anything I've seen to date.I disagree that they're not quality,they seem top quality to me ,but only time will tell.
BANDIT

That's funny. I lived in Wyoming for 23 years and I have to agree, sometimes you are just better off doing it yourself around there. Of course, I moved to another metropolis in northern Nevada and I still have that problem. After the last "professional" job one of my friends had done locally I ordered a bunch of mandral bent elbows and tubing and got my pipe fitters book out.

I am running the Hushpowers behind my 351. I was a little disappointed with the noise reduction but this is the first time in the history of this rig that I actually have room to work on anything under there. I finally decided it was just a trade-off for the size.

Fishmanndotcom

Loc.
senoia, GA
68ford said:
ant proof that flowmasters dont flow good? everyone and there mom uses them when i go to car shows, i highly doubt that they flow hardly any worse if at all than a magnaflow.
i personally dont like magnaflow because the packing blows out after time and ive seensome where moisture collects in the packing and they getthose little rust holes.
and i can not for one minute believe a spintech can flow better than a flowmaster, same concept, makes the air go spinning around several swirrly things inside.
ive had the same pair of flowmasters for 8 years, so i haveno complaints.

everyone uses them b/c of the name

here are some numbers http://www.broaderperformance.com/muffler_flow_tests.htm

here is a crude chart of flows at the bottom... http://www.mastermuffler.com/performance.html

-cutts-

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I used to have a 3" in/dual 2.5" out Flowmaster. I hated it. The sound would kill me on a drive over an hour. It was a loud hum with a high pitched whistle. I had to use earplugs. I now have the biggest 3" in/out Dynomax street muffler I could fit. It's quiet but still has that sound that says "V8".

68ford

Bronco Guru
Fishmanndotcom said:
everyone uses them b/c of the name

here are some numbers http://www.broaderperformance.com/muffler_flow_tests.htm

here is a crude chart of flows at the bottom... http://www.mastermuffler.com/performance.html

-cutts-
that first test sold me on the hooker areo chamber, anyone ever heard them?
would have been nice to know where magnaflows are on a similar test, straight through glass packs didnt do all that great, safe to assume magnaflows are about the same as glasspack of same diameter.

Chris1974

Loc.
Kennesaw, GA
Any of you guys ever use Borla mufflers? I have a set of stainless headers and cat-back on my '92 J**P 4.0L inline 6cyl. and it's awesome. No drone in the passenger compartment and very good at getting the sound out the back where it belongs... very smooth & mellow sound at all RPMs.

I was thinking of some Borla mufflers on my 1977 302 V8 EB.

http://www.borla.com/

Any opinions or suggestions besides the ones already mentioned in this thread?

Thanks,
Chris ;D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
68ford said:
that first test sold me on the hooker areo chamber, anyone ever heard them?
would have been nice to know where magnaflows are on a similar test, straight through glass packs didnt do all that great, safe to assume magnaflows are about the same as glasspack of same diameter.
Common sense says they will flow equivalent to the same straight through pipe. There isn't a straight through glasspack listed. (punched louvers is not the same thing)

bandit

Loc.
Afton
buckbronco76 said:
I need advice on purchasing mufflers on my 76. It has a 302 with a 280 crower cam, edelbrock 600 carb on top of a torker II with chevy 202 valves in the heads. No headers but I've been running glasspacks for years. The muffler shop guy said to put flowmaster 40 series on it. I checked on their website and there were several 40 series with different sounds. What is the best for my bronc? thanks.
I just put in dual,Flowmaster Hushpower Twos,I like them alot,and the size is so compact,I got the best fit I've ever gotten .They tuck up out of the way,in my opinion,the best.They are kind of loud,and the sound bites on the Flowmaster website,sounded alot different.I have ran Magnaflows,and series 40's,and liked thier tone better .
BANDIT

blackbeauty

Loc.
Woo-pig-sooie
Has anybody used the Hooker Maximum Flow mufflers? How loud are they? On the Muffler Flow Tests they flowed the same as straight pipe, over 2x as much of a flowmaster.