• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mustang EFI Donor w/speed density

rock7174

Alright my very first post.......I am in the middle of building a 67 and have a question about EFI. I bought a 1988 Mustang w/5.0 for next to nothing (after parting out, I actually made money). I want to use the entire engine and efi (bronco currently has a 289). Problem is it is a speed density setup and I want to convert to mass air. I plan on purchasing a new 5.0 harness (where I have not decided yet) to avoid hacking up the current harness to covert from SD to Mass Air, wiring into bronco harness and wiring multiple harnesses into one. I want the chances of having problems to be as small as possible. Do I need to change anything besides swapping for a mass air computer (A91 or similar), Mass air sensor, and housing to use for my swap?

ransil

Bronco Guru
Nothing wrong with using speed density.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
R

rock7174

If I chose to stay with speed density, can anyone recommend a harness to use with it (I will admit, I am no wiring genius and EFI is foreign to me)? I am leaning towards mass air in order to add some power to my bronco and from what I have read mass air works better with performance upgrades on engines.

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
even with s/d motor u will be happy with the power and performance. if u dont know that much about it then stick to the basics u can always up grade it later after u learn how they work. I went with centec for the whole rig including the efi swap.
I have a s/d motor- love it. just remember more power up front u have the stronger the rest has to be built, trans, tc, axles.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Nothing wrong with using speed density.

I agree.

Speed density is just fine as long as you keep it relatively stock. If you start throwing hotter parts like cam or heads at it then that would be when MAF becomes a little more beneficial.

ren71

RJM harness is easy but $$$, or just add a mas air wiring conversion harness for $50 to use with the speed density harness. Follow the instructions and it's pretty easy. Ford Motorsport even offered it as a bolt-on for backyard mechanics.

Or like others said, get the speed density up and running first. You don't have to redo the speed density wiring when you decide to add the conversion down the line.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/PMA-EMAWH/1986-88-Mustang-50L-Mass-Air-Conversion-Wiring-Harness

OP
OP
R

rock7174

Both motors are in decent shape. I'm doing a frame off so I will rebuild either one. Using as a daily driver so after thinking about it I don't want to throw a ton of high performance parts in it. I emailed Ric Kolibar after reading through some efi threads and I think I will use the stock SD harness and have him covert it for my 67.......Like BUCKNBRONK said I can always change to Air Mass later. Thanks for the input guys.