• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My head is cracked!

nickmyron

Loc.
Tigard, OR
It made me sick to my stomach today when i was disasembling my heads of the 351W i am building when i saw a crack in one of the valve seats :mad: :eek: :-X

Now i have to find a head to replace it..........it has casting dates of 79, so do i need to find another 79 head or just a head that has the same size combustion chambers?

Nick~

scotch

Loc.
Green River, Wyoming
Hey if you don't want to drop over $1K for heads, talk to your local automotive machine shop. Some shops will give you common castings like these if you pay them for the machine work done to them.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Valve seats can be replaced it would be a good time to upgrade to larger valves like 1.90/1.60 at least possibly 2.02/1.60 as well as stainless valves

OP
OP
N

nickmyron

Loc.
Tigard, OR
broncnaz said:
Valve seats can be replaced it would be a good time to upgrade to larger valves like 1.90/1.60 at least possibly 2.02/1.60 as well as stainless valves

The crack isnt just on the valve seat it is also in the cumbustion chaber a bit and down in where the valve is (about an inch crack)

Nick~

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ahh the rest of the story. I believe 77-80 heads all have the same combustion chamber size also they used the same heads on 302's although you would have to drill out the head bolt holes to 1/2" to use the 302 heads. if you can find some pre 77 heads you get slightly larger valves and smaller combustion chambers.

OP
OP
N

nickmyron

Loc.
Tigard, OR
broncnaz said:
Ahh the rest of the story. I believe 77-80 heads all have the same combustion chamber size also they used the same heads on 302's although you would have to drill out the head bolt holes to 1/2" to use the 302 heads. if you can find some pre 77 heads you get slightly larger valves and smaller combustion chambers.

Are you sure i can use 302 heads if i just drill out the bolt holes? Any more specifics? If i used one 302 head and one 351W head (w/same combustion chamber size) would that be bad?

Nick~

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
If it were me, I would use a matched set of heads. Just get a pair out of the junk yard or off ebay, have them gone through and be done with it.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
nickmyron said:
Are you sure i can use 302 heads if i just drill out the bolt holes? Any more specifics? If i used one 302 head and one 351W head (w/same combustion chamber size) would that be bad?

Nick~
although I've never verified it all I've read says they used the same casting number for both the 302 and 351 the only differance is you have to drill the holes out to 1/2" they both have the same sized valves and combustion chambers. but like broncolove said your probably better off getting a pair

74bronc

Bronco Guru
broncnaz said:
although I've never verified it all I've read says they used the same casting number for both the 302 and 351 the only differance is you have to drill the holes out to 1/2" they both have the same sized valves and combustion chambers. but like broncolove said your probably better off getting a pair

yes, this is true. The only difference between 302 and 351W heads is the bolt hole size. If you have a hard time finding some good windsor heads, get some 302 heads and have a machine shop drill the holes and you are good to go. Although you could probably drill them yourself, I would let a machine shop do it to make sure the holes are square.

VBH289

Loc.
Colorado
Hey Nick, I know a guy locally here in the Valley that might have an extra set he would get rid of... I will talk to him and let you know. Free parts are always nice huh!;)
Later
Nick