• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My NWMP tank Walbro install

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I have an NWMP tank that is about 15+ years old and, for the most part, has served me well except when it comes to any angles off-road that do not favor the pickup which is located on the forward wall on the driver's side. It takes very little nose up passenger side down angle to uncover that pickup. The BC Broncos large accumulator did a lot to alleviate running dry but I have found I am spending more time on obstacles than the capacity of the accumulator will support. This past November at Uwharrie was the straw that broke the camel's back. I winched a buddy off an obstacle and couldn't start the Bronco as the pickup was uncovered and the accumulator had run dry. I immediately went home looking for alternative solutions which included buying a new tank with in-tank pump, modifying the NWMP tank for in-tank pump, installing the Holley fuel mat, or going with the Walbro pickups.

The new tank was cost prohibitive and neither that nor installing an in-tank pump seemed to make sense as I could easily see me getting into a situation where I could uncover the pump. Plus, changing a rail mounted pump in the field is fast and easy as opposed to in-tank. The fuel mat is expensive and they didn't offer a size that properly accommodated this tank. So, in the end, I was left with the Walbro pickups.

Walbro Pickups (MP-12) $104 4ea http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/html/pickups.html
5/16 ID J30R10 hose $20 1' http://apeusa.com/html/kits.html#fuelhose
3/8 ID J30R10 hose $20 1' http://apeusa.com/html/kits.html#fuelhose
stainless #4 hose clamp $3.00 5ea http://apeusa.com/html/kits.html#fuelhose
RE cup magnets $14.99 5ea https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Neodym...20308&sr=1-12&keywords=Neodymium+Round+Magnet
5/16 galvanized steel tube $36 6' Local hose supply
Permatex 80019 $8.69 1ea https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBM3QQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3/16 cork gasket sheet $5.50 1ea ACE hardware
Sealed rivnuts $12.35 25ea https://www.mcmaster.com/#98280a340/=16fuq8n
Aluminim spacers $8 5ea ACE hardware
5/16 compression tee $16 2ea ACE hardware
1/4 FPT tee $8 1ea ACE hardware
1/4 MPT - 5/16 tube comp fitting $4.00 2ea ACE hardware
1/4 MPT - 3/8 barb $4.00 1ea ACE hardware
Screws, washers, lock washer, nuts $15 ACE hardware
Loop clamps $8 5ea Local hose supply
16ga galvanized sheet metal (6"x12") FREE 1ea Buddy

TOTAL = $288

Started by draining and rinsing the tank with water a couple times and then used some Dawn dish soap for good measure. Took less than 30 minutes and didn't have to worry about fumes.

I really wanted to take my time and do this right so I made a mock tank out of cardboard to test for proper placement of the access holes to ensure I would be able to reach all four corners of the tank as well as over the top of the baffle. I really need to get a life...working on it.

I want to give nvrstuk credit and thank him for his advice in suggesting I go with two access holes rather than one. I cut two 4.5" holes in the tank so I could access both sides of the baffle as well as use two arms to position and work inside the tank. This was based on the size of my arms so I suppose other folks may need to cut larger holes. The tank is 16ga so I made the cover plates out of 14ga and installed twelve 10-32 sealed rivnuts on each hole which has them spaced out about 1.12" all the way around. This really makes a huge difference being able to get both arms in the tank. I did make things a little close in tolerance by only allowing ¼” from ID to OD from the rivnuts. I would recommend ½” instead because stuff moves as you can clearly see.

Placement of the front two pickups was a no-brainer as they clearly should go in the front two corners. The rear two pickups were the subject of some debate. Do I place them at the base of the incline just aft of the baffle or do I place them further back at the top of the incline?

As you can see in this picture, the baffle is represented by the vertical blue tape covering the corner and the potential location options of the rear pickups are represented by the blue tape labeled 1 and 2.

In this picture you can see that even at 60 degrees nose high with 1 gallon of fuel (depicted by the new area of blue tape covering the corner), the rear pickups, if positioned just behind the baffle at position 1, would become uncovered leaving me high and dry (pun intended). Utilizing position 2 will prevent this from happening.

The nature of the Walbro pickups requires them to be wet in order to close when they become uncovered. So then the question becomes what if I employ position 2 and my fuel level is below the rear pickups on startup? Won't they just suck air if they can't close? The answer is no. This is because they are on a raised 30 degree angle relative to the two front pickups and since air rises and is less dense than fuel, the system will naturally pull only gas from the front pickups rather than pull air down from the rear pickups. Plus, all I need is 3.4 gallons of fuel (about 1/8 tank) on level ground to cover those rear pickups.

I was hesitant about using submersible fuel line as I had read reports of folks experiencing failures similar to non-submersible rated line. Some concluded this was possibly due to fuel entering the internal structure of the line at the end where it is cut and the protective coating is no longer present. Since the Walbro pickups are plastic and terminate to a nipple, using hose was my only option. I decided to use Aviation Gasket to coat the ends of all my submersible tubing in an effort to protect it from possible future damage. Now I will caution you, this stuff is nasty, makes a hell of a mess and takes FOREVER to even remotely tack. Depending on how thick it is applied, you could be looking at 48 hours to be able to handle it without it getting on everything.

In order to minimize the amount of submersible hose, I used 5/16" steel line as the primary structure and only used submersible hose as a connector between the 5/16" steel line and the Walbro pickups. The added rigidity of the steel line gives me peace of mind knowing it won't be affected off road.
As for securing the structure inside the tank, I went with RE magnets with #6 screws attached to standoffs and clamps. This provided the correct heights and a super secure solution.

I have seen multiple designs for these systems. Most either run a single series circuit or a tied parallel design like what I went with. The parallel design provides more redundancy should a pickup fail.

Having the Tees on each side and in the middle of the cross tube made the system more modular and eased installation. The pickups are 3" in diameter and they do not easily slide through the notch in the baffle as it's hypotenuse is 3" as well. Being able to split the section in half and eliminate the need to coax the pickup through the notch made things super easy. I used Aviation Gasket as a thread sealer on the three fittings for the cross tube tee going to the pickup as Aviation Gasket is really the only choice in gasoline. Apparently PTFE tape or pipe dope deteriorates in fuel or can cause injector clogs.

As you can see in the picture below, I did run into an issue when I installed the cross tube as I failed to account for the sending unit and sure enough the float ended up right on top of the cross tube. The sending unit flange bolts are clocked thus preventing it from being rotated so I was left with no choice but to move the cross tube aft a few inches in order to clear the cross tube. After fixing that snag I worked out how I was going to get the gas out of the tank.

Some folks just block off the old pickup and use a bulkhead connector. I just didn't see the advantage of drilling another hole in this tank unless I was looking to have fancy -AN fittings. The pickup tube was welded to the bottom of the tank all the way at the tip so there was no way I could get a piece of 3/8" submersible hose attached to the end. I looked at grinding the weld and cleaning the tube enough to accept the hose, but not even my Dremel could get in there well enough so decided to cut a 4" section out of the old pickup and slide the submersible line onto it secured with a hose clamp. My new concern was adding stress to the pickup tube as it was now only secured via one weld where it exits the tank. In the end, I felt it would be okay as the wall thickness of the tube NWMP used was pretty significant and their weld was more than sufficient.

Once I triple checked everything inside the tank for security and contamination, I made my own cover gaskets out of cork and coated them on both sides in Aviation Gasket and torqued the cover plates carefully. I sealed all the ports except the pickup and applied 10psi to the tank just to make sure my cover plates weren't going to leak.

Everything seems to be working great but that is just on the street. Won't know much beyond that still I go to Windrock at the end of March but I have a feeling things are going to be smooth sailing in the fuel delivery department from now on. I will need to make sure I change my fuel filter in the next few hundred miles. Although I was pretty meticulous in removing any contaminants from the tank, I think it just makes sense to change it.

So I have two questions...
1.) Can anyone see any possible justification to continue to run the BC accumulator now? I mean, at this point, it is just a fancy last chance fuel filter rather than an accumulator.

2.) What about continuing to run a LP pump to supply the HP? I wonder if I can just get rid of the LP all together. Here are my thoughts on the subject and why I am struggling to make a decision. As I stated earlier, the Walbro pickups need to be wet initially in order for them to operate correctly and close when uncovered. Now, in a situation where the tank is sucked completely dry, all four pickups will close and not reopen unless the vacuum is relieved by cracking open a line or a bleeder pickup is used. I chose not to employ a bleeder pickup so, assuming all my connections are leak free, I should never lose prime on the system IF there is a check valve in the fuel pump. If there is not a check valve in the HP pump, the fuel can bleed back into the tank over time but I am not sure where the air would come from assuming the pickups are covered. Am I just overthinking this? The injectors are closed and the return line shouldn't have air in it. Hmmmmmm.

Here are some pics of all four corners and the center.

Last edited:

Dannyboy71

Nice work, I am no expert but I would run both pumps. It is my understanding that the hp pump is a pusher and the lp is a puller(suck the fuel up). I am currently going to an in tank pump from using just one hp pump. It failed do to heat and cavitation. I think if it were me I would still use the accumulater in between the two pumps.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Nice write up and great pics.

I picked up the same tank used and have some decisions to make.

What angle did you use in pic #4?

It was nice to see the inside as clean as it was. Do you plan to use a tank sealer? Why or why not?

Are you using the standard mounting strap? Have you considered converting to the uni-strut mount or something else?

Where did you source your materials from?

Could this become a tech article and save pics???

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Nice write up and great pics.

I picked up the same tank used and have some decisions to make.

What angle did you use in pic #4?

It was nice to see the inside as clean as it was. Do you plan to use a tank sealer? Why or why not?

Are you using the standard mounting strap? Have you considered converting to the uni-strut mount or something else?

Where did you source your materials from?

Could this become a tech article and save pics???

Thanks in advance.

Close to 60 degrees.

Nope. It came sealed and it is still intact so I have no desire to duplicate the effort unnecessarily.

Rivnuts from Mcmaster carr
magnets from amazon
pickups and submersible hose from APE
5/16 steel line from local supplier
Misc hardware from ACE.

I suppose I could make more of a detailed parts listing if that would help. I didn't really write this like I do my other tech articles as I just intended to document it.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Have you run this yet? Wondering if it worked?

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Only on the street. First real test will be windrock at end of March. I plan to go to hardrock in ocala on March 18 to get some preliminary testing done but i don't foresee any issues.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I can attest to this working perfectly off-road as I did this mod 18 months ago. Works great. Chuzie, like myself is overthinking : ) things like will the vacuum in the system hold the pickup's closed allowing a restart if one or more of the pickups are exposed for a length of time. I've never had any problems with the system. My camera wouldn't fit inside the tank, that's why I didn't do a tech article on this way back when...hard to explain if you can't see what I did. Good job writing this up Chuzie.

Remember that I talked directly to the Walbro pump engineering team in the Midwest and they said NO PROBLEM running just the HP pump for any/all the "internet" problems that they are supposed to suffer from...it's not an issue. I run my "frame mount style" HP pump submerged directly in the tank as per their recommendations (I called to ask if this possible). Exactly the same pump as the submersible hi performance Mustang pump except for the connections which in this case allowed me to connect it to my 4 Walbro pickups.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I never updated my results from Windrock. Spent 3 days in the park on the entire spectrum of angles and never once had a fuel hiccup. Think it's safe to say this project was a huge success and I am exited about never having to deal with starvation issues again. All that overthinking and work was totally worth it!

Broncos n' VWs

This qualifies as "rad". Overthinking can result in some pretty cool innovation. Great write up!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Glad it worked great for ya Chuzie! I've never had a hiccup with mine in all my wheeling either!

The Holley hydramat might be easier but $$$$$

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Thanks. I'm just glad to finally be running a single pump without an accumulator that never runs out of fuel especially when it counts the most on obstacles in front of all your peers.

Extending a special thanks to you though for your guidance of personal experience throughout the mod. I'll admit I was a bit apprehensive initially, but you helped me acquire the confidence I needed to bite the bullet and knock this project out.

The only thing I've noticed is my tank pressure has increased dramatically. I have a sealed system and cap. After a long drive or if the rig sits and idles for a while, after shut down, I can hear fumes escaping from the cap. If I remove the cap a significant amount of vapor volume is released. Not sure why this is happening now but it makes me wonder if I have a regulator issue or if I just need a different vented cap.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you have no external vents plumbed to any kind of evap filter/canister/thingy, then your tank is going to pressurize. Because your "vented" cap is only vented in one direction on a '77 filler neck. Inward to account for fuel used, but never outward to release pressure.
That's why they added vents to a charcoal canister (closed system) and changed the caps to one-way vented and changed the way the caps twisted into the locked position so users could not circumvent the venting system by installing an older cap.

If you're not going to vent yours, you need to drill a hole in your existing cap, and any new ones you put in down the road.
Or vent the tank. Most off-road rigs simply vent into a tube with a high-mounted filter or one of those auto-closing diff vent breathers up inside a wheel well or in the engine compartment. Or wherever it's convenient.

Why does it do it more now? Maybe it's hotter outside? Not likely as it sounds like you've driven in the heat before with this same tank and not had the issue.
So maybe it's just that it was slightly leaking in the past and it's just sealed better now?

I don't think a defective regulator could do that. Besides you'd see that in the pressure and how the engine runs. I can't think of any way that a regulator, or anything upstream in the system for that matter, can create pressure where there was none before. After all, you're only capable of putting the same amount of gas back in the tank as you took out as a maximum. And usually it's quite a bit less than you took out because you're using much of it while the engine is running.
And it's not pushing air into the tank either. So that doesn't sound like a culprit.

Perhaps the accumulator was acting as sort of a gas cooler? If that was the case then even the heat would not have expanded the gas as much before. Is the pump different too? Maybe it's just making the gas hotter as it pump.
But the accumulator as a cooler is maybe not so far-fetched.

If it ever becomes an issue, such as pushing gas out while it's getting pressurized, I'd vent the tank.
Although, it is easier perhaps to just drill the cap.;)

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I never updated my results from Windrock. Spent 3 days in the park on the entire spectrum of angles and never once had a fuel hiccup. Think it's safe to say this project was a huge success and I am exited about never having to deal with starvation issues again. All that overthinking and work was totally worth it!

Glad to hear that, looks like a good set up

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Good points indeed. Looks like I'm gonna add a vent of some sort. Just need to determine an appropriate location that takes safety into account.

I would drill the cap, but don't want fuel leaking when I'm off camber.

Accumulator was in engine bay so if anything, it was heating the fuel in this setup. You're probably right about it being sealed better which would explain a lot.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
How did you seal the access ports? Obviously you made some cool covers but what sort of gasket material did you use?

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Cork cut from a roll and coated it in aviation gasket #3