• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Name these Brakes??

OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

Thanks for the pics. Will you be getting rid of that setup at some point?

Not planning on getting rid of anything on the parts bronco yet. Maybe when I am done with the current resto. Who know I may want to restore the parts bronco and give it to my 5 year old.

Doug

OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

What are the diameter of the two pistons? And I can't tell from the picture if the caliper body sticks outside the WMS on the hub?

Todd Z.

It's all back together again and it's cold outside!! When I get it in the shop, I will tear it apart again and give more details.

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0636.JPG
    IMG_0636.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 38

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
What are the diameter of the two pistons? And I can't tell from the picture if the caliper body sticks outside the WMS on the hub?

Todd Z.

The diameter of each piston is is 1.945"

The piston length is 1.142"

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Howie

Your making my monitor drip!! quit drooling!!
Your plate will be done this coming week, barring 30 below weather
TOFIC

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It appears there might be a small market for nice 4-6 piston calipers for the fronts of our EBs if someone came up with a nice bracket to mount them.

Todd Z.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
It appears there might be a small market for nice 4-6 piston calipers for the fronts of our EBs if someone came up with a nice bracket to mount them.

Todd Z.

Ford used those brakes to stop 2 & 1/2 ton vehicles using 12" rotors, they should do quite nicely on an EB even without a power assist.

Here are some applications where they are found

66-67 MERCURY COMMUTER
66-67 FORD COUNTY SQUIRE
66-67 FORD CUSTOM
66-67 FORD CUSTOM 500
66-67 FORD GALAXIE
66-69 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL
66-67 FORD LTD
66-68 MERCURY MARQUIS
66-68 MARQUIS BROUGHAM
66-67 MERCURY MONTCLAIR
66-67 MERCURY MONTEREY
65-67 FORD THUNDERBIRD

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Ford used those brakes to stop 2 & 1/2 ton vehicles using 12" rotors, they should do quite nicely on an EB even without a power assist.

Here are some applications where they are found

66-67 MERCURY COMMUTER
66-67 FORD COUNTY SQUIRE
66-67 FORD CUSTOM
66-67 FORD CUSTOM 500
66-67 FORD GALAXIE
66-69 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL
66-67 FORD LTD
66-68 MERCURY MARQUIS
66-68 MARQUIS BROUGHAM
66-67 MERCURY MONTCLAIR
66-67 MERCURY MONTEREY
65-67 FORD THUNDERBIRD

Yeah, those are all the first gen Kelsey Hayes discs that Ford used on their passenger cars (like the ones above). I haven't been a fan of them due to their rarity, cost, and the fact that they're all 40+ years old. If I was going to try and update the front calipers, I'd go with something more like a Wilwood or CNC caliper, etc. Tough things are fitting them under 15" wheels (I still run 15s and plan to for the foreseeable future), the calipers are often wider than the WMS on the hubs, and the combined surface areas of the pistons are less than the area of one of the pistons in our single piston calipers (particularly the T-bird calipers). The only way I'd go much smaller on the piston areas would be if I upgraded the rotor diameters to keep an equivalent or higher brake torque. No rational reason to change - I still just dream of having them on the truck someday. Maybe I'll have to go to 17s someday so I can upgrade :-* .

Todd Z.

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
On a related braking improvement note, aside from hydroboost increasing brake line pressure, I put Power Slot rotors and Hawk pads on my Jeep GC and it made quite a difference in bite and feel, less fade too.

They make 'em for F-150's and big broncos.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Yeah, those are all the first gen Kelsey Hayes discs that Ford used on their passenger cars (like the ones above). I haven't been a fan of them due to their rarity, cost, and the fact that they're all 40+ years old. If I was going to try and update the front calipers, I'd go with something more like a Wilwood or CNC caliper, etc. Tough things are fitting them under 15" wheels (I still run 15s and plan to for the foreseeable future), the calipers are often wider than the WMS on the hubs, and the combined surface areas of the pistons are less than the area of one of the pistons in our single piston calipers (particularly the T-bird calipers). The only way I'd go much smaller on the piston areas would be if I upgraded the rotor diameters to keep an equivalent or higher brake torque. No rational reason to change - I still just dream of having them on the truck someday. Maybe I'll have to go to 17s someday so I can upgrade :-* .

Todd Z.

Your piston surface area scenario would be a fair comparison if...

On the single piston caliper, the pressure exerted against the brake pad had the load distributed evenly. It currently concentrates the pressure in the center of the pad, allowing the edges to flex and not put pressure against the whole surface of the pad. The opposite pad On the single piston caliper seems to support the brake pad a little better., but I think the single piston caliper could work better if it had support of the brake pad equal on both sides, giving more even coefficient of friction distributed among both pads.

I would think that four piston calipers, weather they be KH or another brand would do a better job distributing the load more evenly and efficiently across the backing of the brake pad thus giving a more positive or solid feel during braking.

Though the calipers are rare I think there are enough 65-69 lincoln and 66-67 thunderbird part support still out there to supply the need of the few who would like to try it. These older 40 year old parts will be more well taken care of and will not see the need for replacement any time soon if maintained properly. As far as fitting them under 15" wheels, Thats what all those older fords used back then. 15's are what Im using now and though it will be a tight package using 12" rotors, I still think It would be a fun, and rewarding challenge making it work.

I am willing to try and make the old KH calipers work with my 6-bolt spindles, and quite possibly come up with a viable alternative to Chevy brakes that would be All Ford on pre-disc Broncos. Not that DelcoMoraine isnt an excellent product. I just dont want to deal with the embarassment of asking for chevy parts at the parts counter in order to keep my Ford running :-[ .

Someone went to a lot of trouble to put them on Doug’s parts vehicle. It would be nice to see if it’s worth the effort.

Todd, all your points are well taken, and I thank you for your insight.

~Howard~

Attachments

• KH SpindleAdapter.JPG
    KH SpindleAdapter.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 23

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I have this argument with my dad all the time about 4 piston vs 1 piston floater. Pad deflection over the 3/4" or so unsupported area on the piston side is minimal at best. On the fixed side, the pad is better supported than it would be with a 4 piston.

Statistically speaking (my area of expertise) your brakes become 4 times less reliable when you add 3 additional hydraulic functions per wheel. The likelihood of a catastrophic failure (pressure loss and bypass) is higher in the 4 piston.

Single pistons also reduce vibrations in the brake pedal as they can absorb some rotor warpage without backfeeding it to the pedal.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Your piston surface area scenario would be a fair comparison if...

On the single piston caliper, the pressure exerted against the brake pad had the load distributed evenly. It currently concentrates the pressure in the center of the pad, allowing the edges to flex and not put pressure against the whole surface of the pad. The opposite pad On the single piston caliper seems to support the brake pad a little better., but I think the single piston caliper could work better if it had support of the brake pad equal on both sides, giving more even coefficient of friction distributed among both pads.

I would think that four piston calipers, weather they be KH or another brand would do a better job distributing the load more evenly and efficiently across the backing of the brake pad thus giving a more positive or solid feel during braking.

Though the calipers are rare I think there are enough 65-69 lincoln and 66-67 thunderbird part support still out there to supply the need of the few who would like to try it. These older 40 year old parts will be more well taken care of and will not see the need for replacement any time soon if maintained properly. As far as fitting them under 15" wheels, Thats what all those older fords used back then. 15's are what Im using now and though it will be a tight package using 12" rotors, I still think It would be a fun, and rewarding challenge making it work.

I am willing to try and make the old KH calipers work with my 6-bolt spindles, and quite possibly come up with a viable alternative to Chevy brakes that would be All Ford on pre-disc Broncos. Not that DelcoMoraine isnt an excellent product. I just dont want to deal with the embarassment of asking for chevy parts at the parts counter in order to keep my Ford running :-[ .

Someone went to a lot of trouble to put them on Doug’s parts vehicle. It would be nice to see if it’s worth the effort.

Todd, all your points are well taken, and I thank you for your insight.

~Howard~

The pressure loading on the pad has always been a big question for me because I totally agree with your analysis stated above. I was re-reading a chapter in James Walker's "High Performance Brake Systems" book a few weeks ago and he mentioned the notion of matching or increasing the piston area sizes when considering any caliper upgrades. Considering how multi-piston calipers apply more uniform pressure on the pads and other good things about their design, I've always wondered if there was some % factor that could be applied when determining equivalent pressure/loading values for the multi-piston calipers, i.e. if we look at the pad size and loading of a multi-piston caliper and determine we could reduce the effective piston area of the multi-piston caliper by 15-20%? simply because we know the force is more evenly distributed. Who knows - I know we're splitting hairs :-* .

And I would like to see more of the mounting bracketry for these calipers even if I don't want to run them myself. It could give me some ideas for other models.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

When it warms up a bit I will take the mounting bracket off and post more pictures.

Doug

jjwtwice

Loc.
IGH, MN
Any update on the bracketry for these calipers. Also would the rotors off like vehicle also fit to our hubs? If not what is the solution there.

Rlemon

Hi just wondering if this thread was dead or not very interested in brake upgrade keeping 15" wheels

OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

It's cold again. Should have reminded me 6 months ago. I have finished the underside of the bronco and starting to clean up and paint the frame. When I get the body back on the frame I will have room in the shop. Then I will pull the brakes and backing plates off, just for you.

Rlemon

Hey that was suposed to read not done. Im very interested in the upgrade and keeping my 15" wheels. I should have read it before I hit send Sorry. This sounds like it could be an easy upgrade to factory discs. In one of the past issues of BD there was a guy who used cobra brakes but you have to use 17" wheels. still trying to find out how he did the cobra setup.