• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help with my 1975 bronco, two main concerns right now

Cstahl

Have a 1975 bronco, original 302, had a crazy amount of money just dumped into this vehicle. Just got delivery of it back yesterday, the whole vehicle was gone through was basically stock. Did efi, a/c, new wiring harness, body lift, suspension lift, converted to a 5 speed manual. Just jumped in it to pull it in my garage and sounds like power steering pump is making a horrible squeal like bloody murder, only under a load. You jack it up in the air and no noise. It’s so bad it actually starts chucking the wheels. Power steering fluid level is perfect but i don’t even know where to start. Also after getting ac unit installed as soon as you turn it on horrid squealing comes from that too, and the belt is tight but looks very jumpy. As soon as you turn the ac off noise goes right away. Any help is better than none until I can get answers from the guy that worked on it. Thanks!

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Welcome, sorry to hear the problems. Power steering can be finicky with air in the system sometimes but it would really help everyone to know more details. Original power steering? Rebuilt? What steering gear and pump is in it? Was it working OK when it was delivered or was this the first time you started it up?
Some more on the AC may help the experts here diagnose as well. Most AC systems have a low pressure switch and some will have a high-pressure switch to cut out the compressor under those conditions But those could go bad as well. What kind? Did it work for a while and then quit later or was bad from the start? There’s been a fair bit of comment on bad parts from the get go in this day and age so that’s even a possibility. Was the compressor actually turning or is there a chance it is locked up? Lots of sharp folks here that may help!

Scott

Last edited:

fluffybunny

Contributor
I would start by eyeballing the pulleys to make sure that they are all in line and then move to the belt(s). If it's just a serpentine belt, I would make sure it's the correct size and replace it. I once had a bad new belt that squealed. Edit - Maybe try getting the front wheels off of the ground again and turn wheels back and forth several times to make sure your air is completely bled from the steering first

OP
OP
C

Cstahl

Welcome, sorry to hear the problems. Power steering can be finicky with air in the system sometimes but it would really help everyone to know more details. Original power steering? Rebuilt? What steering gear and pump is in it? Was it working OK when it was delivered or was this the first time you started it up?
Some more on the AC may help the experts here diagnose as well. Most AC systems have a low pressure switch and some will have a high-pressure switch to cut out the compressor under those conditions But those could go bad as well. What kind? Did it work for a while and then quit later or was bad from the start? There’s been a fair bit of comment on bad parts from the get go in this day and age so that’s even a possibility. Was the compressor actually turning or is there a chance it is locked up? Lots of sharp folks here that may help!

Scott
Power steering is original that came in ‘75 but worked 100% perfect when it was dropped off being I drove it all the time, yes I know old parts fail but I don’t feel like it would fail instantly. The ac system I don’t have the specs of what they put in it but I requested all the info so I can find out soon, it was a resto mod newest greatest ac unit I guess but that’s all that’s on the invoice no part number or model

OP
OP
C

Cstahl

I would start by eyeballing the pulleys to make sure that they are all in line and then move to the belt(s). If it's just a serpentine belt, I would make sure it's the correct size and replace it. I once had a bad new belt that squealed. Edit - Maybe try getting the front wheels off of the ground again and turn wheels back and forth several times to make sure your air is completely bled from the steering first
The shop owner did test it out a little bit but that’s true maybe the belt could be a shit one from factory I’ve had that happen before, being the belt is jumpy only when steering the guy thinks the pump is bad does that sound right? I just don’t want to dump more money into this problem child of a vehicle

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
A photo or three of the engine compartment would be helpful. You need to become a contributor to post photos, but I think most of us here would agree that it's worth the modest price of admission. And for now, original vee belts or serpentine conversion?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
The shop owner did test it out a little bit but that’s true maybe the belt could be a shit one from factory I’ve had that happen before, being the belt is jumpy only when steering the guy thinks the pump is bad does that sound right? I just don’t want to dump more money into this problem child of a vehicle
A good picture would help.
The stock PS pumps were junk and like to make the odd noise in particular when they were failing. It may just need to be bled again but I would advocate switching to a better pump, especially if you are running larger than stock tires. Otherwise, it sounds like you have a misaligned pulley? Too, if they added any aluminum pulleys they do like to squeal.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I installed a Vintage Air system on my 66 Mustang, with factory power steering. I did not need to touch the power steering pump. That being said, the A/C compressor needed some "fine tuning" to properly align with the lower pulley. The shop that did the install should make sure the pulleys are aligned. I would check the power steering fluid, if it is old and smells burnt it needs to be flushed and changed. It may be that the belts are not adjusted tight enough, maybe the shop installed new belts and they just stretched a little (unless you got a serpentine system). You should not over tighten the belts, because it will stress the water pump and front main bearing. If it was my car, I would work on the power steering, and after that was fixed, work on the A/C next. They are on separate belts, right? Good luck.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Power steering is original that came in ‘75 but worked 100% perfect when it was dropped off being I drove it all the time, yes I know old parts fail but I don’t feel like it would fail instantly. The ac system I don’t have the specs of what they put in it but I requested all the info so I can find out soon, it was a resto mod newest greatest ac unit I guess but that’s all that’s on the invoice no part number or model
Just to clarify parts failing, I was referring to parts bad from the start. There have been posts about taking three tries at the parts store to get something that isn't bad. There's junk that comes from China that is out of spec, poor material, missed inspection or the like these days. I don't know if the aftermarket has tighter reins on what they use but AC compressors would have close tolerances and could fail quickly if quality isn't kept to standards.