• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help with VIN!

rednck21

U15GLF92325. It’s titled as a 69, but it’s not on the vin chart I use. It has a dana 44 and power steering. Possibly a very late 69?

Hotrodjohn

as far as factory equipped, Dana 44 came out in 1971, power steering in 1973. Does your glove vin match the frame vin?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lucky you having a PO swap in the good stuff at least.
Not original, but a couple of the better upgrades. Does the front have disc brakes, or still drums?
And is the steering box 6 turns, or 4.5 turns?

Paul

OP
OP
rednck21

rednck21

I was thinking a very late 69, but privious owner claims ps and 44 were in there since it was new....and I know better. ;D the 44 does have drums, but not sure about what ps box is in it.. I just ordered a marti report and had it rushed so I should know later today!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
F92325 would be June '69. The '70s would have started in August.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was thinking a very late 69, but privious owner claims ps and 44 were in there since it was new....and I know better. ;D the 44 does have drums, but not sure about what ps box is in it.. I just ordered a marti report and had it rushed so I should know later today!

If they were the original owner, then it's still possible that the PO was correct and it was a factory 44. Not a regular one like we're used to seeing after '71.5 Broncos, but the one I call the "hybrid" which is a 44 center section and the same outers as a 30.
So this would have the 44 front cover, but smaller axle tubes and instead of ball-joints would still have king-pin bearings.

There were a very few of these installed on EB's between '68 and '70, with most of the ones I've seen on '70 model year Broncos.
Nobody has really come up with a good explanation of why they were there, but we've had some pretty good discussions over the years about it, with some good, logical and plausible reasons put forth.

Be interested to see if yours is one of these, or a later ball-joint version.

Paul