• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Pics Toms Bronco Anti Axle Wrap Bar

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hello,

I really like the design of the Toms Bronco (TBP) Axle wrap bar set up. Has anyone mounted one of these yet, and if so, can you snap some pictures for me. I'm trying to see how it mounts on the frame, where it mounts on the frame, and how in interacts with the rear axle / gas tank area. They do not have current pics of it mounted on their site.

If not their axle wrap bar, can you post pics of what you have?

Thank you in advance.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Their design isn't really any different than anyone else's, it may even have some inferior attributes. Disclaimer the following is all my opinion! In no way am I slamming a vendors product, just sharing my experiences. I know there are a bunch of them happily being used. Again this is just my opinion and in no way anything negative toward TOR (TBP), I have a lot of respect for Tom, his team and their dedication to feeding our addiction, If it wasn't for them we would not have some of the innovative parts that are fantastic.

In my experience the bushings are too small at the axle, as in too narrow. The torque loads on those is tremendous. Not a fan of side loading heim joints in that direction at the frame, they are not designed to be side loaded. Not a fan of connecting to a single frame rail, creates some high stress loads to one frame rail, not evenly distributing that torque load also causes the chassis to torque lean, even frame rail failure. Have you ever noticed how many trail broncos have the frames bent up in the middle? In hard use, the torque loads transferred by the anti wrap bar is enough to bend the frame making the doors no longer align. It really all depends on your use intentions, your preference and what compromises you are willing to accept. Everything in suspension design is a compromise and ultimately comes down to aesthetics, performance, personal preference, and packaging. I keep reading this and feel I am just bashing the product and design, seriously, I am not, just want everyone to purchase and install products with eyes wide open, knowing what the limitations are and potential the side effects of using them, just like using medication user beware and know what the side effects are LOL. At the end of the day will it work as advertised.

Last edited:

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Their design isn't really any different than anyone else's, it may even have some inferior attributes...
You left out one important part. Please include the rest of your opinion.
"My favorite anti-wrap product on the market is..."
or "I have found that no one makes the best product, so I recommend to do this..."

(It's technically not bashing if you provide superior alternatives. It's promoting!)

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
You left out one important part. Please include the rest of your opinion.
"My favorite anti-wrap product on the market is..."
or "I have found that no one makes the best product, so I recommend to do this..."

(It's technically not bashing if you provide superior alternatives. It's promoting!)
Very, true! The problem is I really don't like any of them..... They all have inherent issues of one form or another and can all be picked apart. In no way am I saying they do not perform as advertised, just that the buyer needs to be informed of the potential pitfalls. I feel if you are pushing hard enough to really need torque control, torque arms are effective as saving ujoints, driveshafts and axles but may cause other issues depending on use and expectations. If you are really pushing hard enough to have the negative side effects of a torque arm you really need to go to a link suspension. A torque arm is sufficient for probably 95% of the folks that put them on, regardless of who built it. Just sharing experiences and trying to keep that 5% from being a PITA, oh wait that might be me :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
JeepGuy

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have no plans to take this Bronco on crazy rock crawling adventures trying to follow 100K rigs or buggies. But I do have a bit of experience with axle wrap on leaf over lifted applications. The difference between this axle wrap and the others seems to be it is mounted along the drivers side rail, vs. attached to a cross bar and positioned more towards the middle of the axle. That is what brings the questions above understanding how it will move differently, and I believe there will be far more actual vertical movement being towards the outside of an axle. We are probably only talking the difference of a few inches in reality, but I'd rather get a bit of actual insight into this specific item if it is out there. So far it seems that other than looking like a good product, there is not much R&D or actual trail feedback.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
For those uses it should be just fine. the design does relieve some of the packaging issues with a bar more to the center. If you launch it hard, especially with a manual trans, it will lift the side connected to the frame. If it is on the passenger side, it will be much less noticeable than on the drivers side due to engine torque. If your running an open diff it will help with the "peg leg" spinning passenger rear tire if mounted on the passenger side by loading that tire harder with weight transfer. It will do a fine job of saving driveline components from binding during axle wrap during such events. It will do fine in all but the harshest of offroad, the disclaimer being on chunky, unpolished granite, the traction is enough to shred the best of parts.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks for posting this.. need to look into some axle wrap myself soon