• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need some Transmission/Transfer Case advice.

Dyehard

I am finishing up my 76' C4 rebuild and have discovered a potential issue. When I was disassembling the transmission I noticed that a bolt was missing from the adapter housing connecting it to the transmission. When I started to put the adapter housing back on I saw why. The first 1/4" of threads is basically gone and looked like the person that last rebuilt the transmission put some type of compound in there to get the bolt to hold. I used a tap and rethreaded the hole but I worry that there is very little thread depth and I'm afraid that when I torque the bolt that it might break what little thread there is. So, my question is, should I put some RTV on the mating surfaces along with the gasket to prevent leaks in case the threads break? The following pictures show which hole and a close up of the hole.

Attachments

• transmission.jpg
    transmission.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 69
  • bolthole.jpg
    bolthole.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 67

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
You can get an insert from Lock-n-stitch to repair the thread. Otherwise, there are other cheaper options. Where you drill, tap and install a spring with the right thread for the bolt. You can get them at many auto parts stores. There are also some epoxy solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would install a Heli-Coil or some sort of equivalent. If you call around to your local machine shops, someone probably has them on a shelf and could do the install for you so that you don't have to get the drill or tool.

OP
OP
Dyehard

Dyehard

Thanks guys, I will see if I can find a Heli-Coil around here.

OP
OP
Dyehard

Dyehard

How important is it that I replace the missing bolt with a flange bolt?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How important is it that I replace the missing bolt with a flange bolt?

Doesn't matter...you can use a standard GR5 or GR8 hex head with a hard washer (SAE F436) and it will be fine.

NC_Pinz

Heli-coil is a good recommendation and should be easy to install given that you can work on your bench. I fretted over my first heli-coil job replacing threads in an aluminum block engine for an oil pump bolt that had pulled all its threads out. Ended up being a fairly easy job if you take your time and know your tools. Good luck.

OP
OP
Dyehard

Dyehard

Yeah, I bought a Power Coil kit yesterday and installed it last night. Very simple process and appears to be very strong. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
Dyehard

Dyehard

Having a blast Baja! These old beauties sure are a lot of fun to work on but I have to admit, I've worked long enough on this transmission and I'm ready to be back driving her.