• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

IA Needing title and glovebox door

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyHousby

Needing an early bronco title and glovebox door for my early bronco build. If you can help, message me or call me at (515) 612-3909 thanks!

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Then what do you do when someone checks that the frame doesn't match them? Just curious how people are doing this and what happens when someone buys these and tries to register in states that matter? Do you disclose this and what happens to the value of the vehicle?

OP
OP
M

MickeyHousby

That’s a good question. I’ve never done it before but I do know that my state doesn’t do inspections so this is the way I am assuming people do it. Unless they are stamping the new frame too...

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s a good question. I’ve never done it before but I do know that my state doesn’t do inspections so this is the way I am assuming people do it. Unless they are stamping the new frame too...

Inspectors are lazy in some states...but the law is simple on EBs; the frame VIN is the only legal one.

redpony

Contributor
THANK YOU , for caring about this. I have tried in the past to point the down falls about this. Its not legal in any state. It is called VIN Tappering . A FELONY.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
THANK YOU , for caring about this. I have tried in the past to point the down falls about this. Its not legal in any state. It is called VIN Tappering . A FELONY.

Well said, this happens on the FB groups weekly.

bam

Contributor
Loc.
Laurel, Ms
order a new vin tag for your glove box door from marti auto works. just give them the vin off of your frame.

Dude 713

Do you have the glove box door that matches the Vin number on your frame? If you do try googling registering a vehicle in Vermont. I believe Vermont is the only State that doesn't require you to live there to register a car. They don't title vehicles Over 15 years old, just registration. One you get registration from Vermont take it to your state DMV and get a title. I have been told by many people that this works. There are videos on line how to do this.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you have the glove box door that matches the Vin number on your frame? If you do try googling registering a vehicle in Vermont. I believe Vermont is the only State that doesn't require you to live there to register a car. They don't title vehicles Over 15 years old, just registration. One you get registration from Vermont take it to your state DMV and get a title. I have been told by many people that this works. There are videos on line how to do this.

I've used a "new title" service in Maine...cost is up there, though and then I still have/had the costs of transferring the Maine title to my state (MD). Md is like many states..no legal mechanism in place to re-title a vehicle if previous title lost and owner unknown.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It would be good if the op explained what he has and is trying to do so this thread does what is intended. I think there are a lot of good suggestions here but they are based on some assumptions of the intent.

Op, do you have a frame for your project which you don't hold title to? Is the VIN on the frame registered to you or is it a frame that came with any paperwork and you have no idea of the status?

Are you trying to get a project registered with a glove box door and a title that will match the VIN on the frame or not match? The responders will help a bit more if you clarify what you are trying to accomplish.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru

Montana doesn’t require you to actually live there to register a vehicle

My state doesn’t require titles on vehicle over 25 yrs old

And does zero inspections of VINs

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are several states with laws like this but still does not address what he is trying to do. How do you determine true ownership of a vehicle without proof and what happens if you sell it outside of a state that wants it. What happens if you register it there and someone then tries in a state where it is required and the VIN comes up as owned by another person? Lots of questions here and the reality is that with the values on these climbing steadily, I for one would not buy something without legal matching ownership paperwork. The value of the vehicle will depend on that for sure.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Montana doesn’t require you to actually live there to register a vehicle

While this may appear true on face value, it doesn't help the OP in this situation, nor should it:

Non-Residents: Under MCA 61-3-701 through 704, non-residents who are gainfully employed in Montana must present their current out-of-state vehicle registration to the county treasurer’s office. Taxes or fees in lieu of taxes are due, along with appropriate registration fees (U.S. funds only). Non-residents may choose to register by the calendar quarter. The vehicle must display the license plates from both its home state and from Montana.

MCA 61-3-701, (3): The registration receipt does not constitute evidence of ownership but may be used only for registration purposes. A Montana certificate of title may not be issued for a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer registered under this section.

Montana does have a process for applying for (lost or missing) title of a vehicle not previously registered in your name. This involves some paperwork and a VIN inspection. Any vehicle valued at more than $500 requires a Surety bond and the title will be branded as such until after the 3-year bonding period is over.

PeteK70

How does Icon get away with it in Cali? Weld old vin from frame on new frame?

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
New frame manufacturers supply a certificate of origin and it is treated as a new vehicle. It will never be considered an original bronco but will carry a valid title with the new manufacturer designation.

redpony

Contributor
yeah. know one cares except the owner of the stolen bronco.

Last edited:

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
yeah. know one cares except the owner of the stolen bronco.

So I have a title and door for a bronco that I personally scrapped many years ago. Frame was completely rotted out and no vin was visible.

So I should just throw the title and door out is what your saying???

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
So I have a title and door for a bronco that I personally scrapped many years ago. Frame was completely rotted out and no vin was visible.

So I should just throw the title and door out is what your saying???

My thoughts exactly. I have two from the same scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.