• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Bronco build

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks pretty classy right there.
Very pretty and all its shiny new glory. Hopefully you don’t have to weld anything new onto that nicely coated frame!

Definitely add more details as they come up and pictures as you take them. We love pictures!

Are you able to use an original body? Or do you have to build a new one?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and since the suspension is still hanging it’s a good practice to leave the spring bolts loose slightly until you get the full weight of the vehicle compressing the suspension.
Then once it’s on the ground you can do the final tightening.

Maybe you did that already, but I wanted to make sure to mention it.

OP
OP
bsimaz

bsimaz

Loc.
West Michigan
Looks pretty classy right there.
Very pretty and all its shiny new glory. Hopefully you don’t have to weld anything new onto that nicely coated frame!

Definitely add more details as they come up and pictures as you take them. We love pictures!

Are you able to use an original body? Or do you have to build a new one?
Building a new body. Old one rusted too bad. I know I’ll have to pecker up the frame before it’s all over (gas line, brake lines, gas tank, etc.) but at least I’ll be able to keep it clean without a body yet.

OP
OP
bsimaz

bsimaz

Loc.
West Michigan
image.jpg
Read somewhere that this is not good. I have about a two inch difference in the radias arms height. After three times of removal and install (doubt it will happen again) how big of a deal is it to have these off by that much? I wouldn’t complain about 1/2” but 2 in seems like alot.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Two inches is a lot. In fact it’s a ton!
I would normally do it without the bushings just to make sure there’s no discrepancy there, so you can read directly off of the tips of the radius arms.

I’m not sure how easy it would be to measure, but you might make sure that the steering yokes (where the ball-joints mount) are equal on both sides.
It’s possible that one of the tubes has slipped in the center section and if so you will never get the radius arms to match just by tweaking the four bolts on the bushing caps.
You’ll have to re-orient the tube in question. if the tubes are fully welded however, that could prove to be problematic.

Aside from that, did you clean both bushing surfaces inside the radius arms and the outer surfaces on the bushing pads? I see everything looks nice and painted, but were they ground smooth of any rust and scale first?

And speaking of paint… Is that powder coat? If so you are just asking for trouble.
That few extra thousandths of thickness that powder coat gives you is enough to really put the squeeze on the bushings when you install.
This can result in the different angles on the radius arms like you’re seeing.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I would normally do it without the bushings just to make sure there’s no discrepancy there, so you can read directly off of the tips of the radius arms.

definitely could make an impact

OP
OP
bsimaz

bsimaz

Loc.
West Michigan

I’m not sure how easy it would be to measure, but you might make sure that the steering yokes (where the ball-joints mount) are equal on both sides.
It’s possible that one of the tubes has slipped in the center section and if so you will never get the radius arms to match just by tweaking the four bolts on the bushing caps.
You’ll have to re-orient the tube in question. if the tubes are fully welded however, that could prove to be problematic.

Aside from that, did you clean both bushing surfaces inside the radius arms and the outer surfaces on the bushing pads? I see everything looks nice and painted, but were they ground smooth of any rust and scale first?

And speaking of paint… Is that powder coat? If so you are just asking for trouble.
That few extra thousandths of thickness that powder coat gives you is enough to really put the squeeze on the bushings when you install.
This can result in the different angles on the radius arms like you’re seeing.
Not powder coat. all serf ices were stripped of all rust and painted.
Would a shim between the radias arm and C-bracket be acceptable?

OP
OP
bsimaz

bsimaz

Loc.
West Michigan
4707BDB0-4900-4E57-A8DE-DA54BE26B187.jpeg
And the front end is installed. Will be working on the engine and transmission/transfer case. Soon to order fuel system and brakes. Hope to have a rolling chassis by winter.

OP
OP
bsimaz

bsimaz

Loc.
West Michigan
Engine in place. New clutch and fly wheel. Bell housing turned out nice too

Attachments

• 95560EE1-ED05-4DF4-BEDA-425D20AFE7F8.jpeg
    95560EE1-ED05-4DF4-BEDA-425D20AFE7F8.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 0BDF84CC-33B3-47D1-BD59-5D0B55C4703D.jpeg
    0BDF84CC-33B3-47D1-BD59-5D0B55C4703D.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 38

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you end up doing anything further about the discrepancy between the arms?
Sorry I missed your question about the shims when you posted back on the 25th. Didn’t get any notifications after the previous posts.
How’d it work out?

Looks like great progress.

OP
OP
bsimaz

bsimaz

Loc.
West Michigan
Did you end up doing anything further about the discrepancy between the arms?
Sorry I missed your question about the shims when you posted back on the 25th. Didn’t get any notifications after the previous posts.
How’d it work out?

Looks like great progress.
Yes. Took them apart and made some adjustments on the bushings. Just moved them slightly. Reattached and did put a small shim between the arm and C part. Got the difference down to less than 1/2 in.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Plan them at the same time. Install them as works for you.

OP
OP
bsimaz

bsimaz

Loc.
West Michigan
Need to replace the pinion seal on the rear end. Leaking. Bought a new one but the one installed looks nothing like the new. It also has a felt gasket. I have the ford 9” rear (i think). I must be missing something. Advice and direction would be appreciated.

OP
OP
bsimaz

bsimaz

Loc.
West Michigan
Figured out the rear pinion seal. Just a different type than new. On to the steering. Not rocket surgery but it should get me close enough before a real alignment.

Attachments

• CD394104-CFCF-437D-B4C8-7FCD94FCD953.jpeg
    CD394104-CFCF-437D-B4C8-7FCD94FCD953.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 16