• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ADMIN New forum software upgrade in the works - looking for beta testers

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I'm happy to announce that I'm in the process of upgrading to a new forum software. The current vBulletin software is way past end of life. It has been extremely stable and has served this forum well for 18 years :eek: , but it's more than past time to upgrade. I am upgrading to XenForo software, which I'm really excited about. It's a well established company that continues to make improvements and offer great support. In addition to being all new and shiny, it has a ton of modern features and has improved on the "classic" features you are already used to here on CB.com.

For the record, I know how hard it is to change, especially for us "older" guys (a category I didn't fit into when I started this forum in 2000! ;)). I am working hard to keep the look of the forum very similar to what it is today. There will certainly be new features, as well as old features with new names and located in different spots. There will be a bit of a learning curve, but I will do my best to minimize it. I truly believe the new forum software will be a substantial improvement, so I just ask for your patience as we get through it together.

I'm looking for volunteers to help me beta test the new software in about 2 weeks and help iron out any bugs. If you're interested please PM me or reply in this thread and I will contact you with instructions. You DO NOT need to be tech savvy to be a beta tester. I actually prefer to get a mix of both computer literate and illiterate! It will help work out the bugs faster.

The plan is to have a behind the scenes test forum up and running the weekend of 10/15/21. Then I plan to take about 2 weeks working with the beta testers to finalize things. Then make the official switch around 11/1/21.

Thanks in advance for your patience! I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the upgrade.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I can provide desk-top browser user input. It's all about the end user. So much software and so many web sites seem to get carried away and forget that not everyone is into the archanery.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I'll do it. I'm not a computer guy, I'm a retired truck driver and type using one finger!!!!!

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
I would be happy to. I am a former admin of an old Vbulletin forum so hopefully could help troubleshoot/assist with the changeover.

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
Change is always good. Everyone will adapt. Best of luck with the software transition.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
i volunteer Jon as I am no way tech savvy and if I can figure it...should be real easy for everyone else!

66broncofan

Contributor
I'll help with the beta, it will give me even more excuses to be on CB all the time.
Let me know. If not, no big deal, I'll still spend all my free moments cruising the site.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Wen it comes to illiterate! I am your guy!!!

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Hey Jon, I've done a lot of this over the years (retired Intel Corp. engineer) and would be happy to help. Now that I am retired, I have a much time on my hands. ;)

Last edited: