• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Gauges cluster?

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Group,

I changed gears in my 77 and I still cannot get it to register the correct speed. I also have the needle bounce that drives me absolutely crazy. So the more I thought about it the most sense to me is to change out the whole cluster and I have been looking at the options on WH site. Want to get opinions of what ones you have used and pro-cons of changing it out. I want to mention I hate wiring, I will do it but I hate it. Especially under the dash! The cluster I have been looking at is this:
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...loy-Blue-66-77-Bronco-61-66-Pickup/dashgauges I do see that Dakota digital is now offering a new one that really looks like the OEM cluster but the price is pretty crazy. So any experiences / opinions are really appreciated. I will probably not do this until this winter but trying to get some thoughts on it now.

Thanks

Sam

Broncobowsher

Contributor
Total hack
Any of the new options are crazy expensive. And there are multiple new options. Well beyond just Digital Dakota. A couple are very stock looking. Some like the con2r are also highly customizable, as in you can go so far as to send them paint codes and they will color match various trim pieces.

The head of your original gauge can be rebuilt, and a new cable can take care of the jump.

OP
OP
svastano

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Any of the new options are crazy expensive. And there are multiple new options. Well beyond just Digital Dakota. A couple are very stock looking. Some like the con2r are also highly customizable, as in you can go so far as to send them paint codes and they will color match various trim pieces.

The head of your original gauge can be rebuilt, and a new cable can take care of the jump.
Where can I get the head rebuilt?

OP
OP
svastano

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Have you tried replacing just the cable??

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Speedometer_Cable/Bronco_Dana20_Transfer_Case

Under 30 bucks and 15 minutes. Solved all my speedo problems combined with the right gear.

View attachment 887546
I have replaced the cable, Lubed the cable, And Tried every gear on this chart! Nothing works. I should be running either the 16 tooth gear or the 18 tooth gear. I have 4.56 gears and 35" tires. Actually when I have checked with my phone GPS as I go faster the amount the speedo that is off goes up. Something has to be wrong with the cluster. I have sent off a e-mail to Kevin at classic gauges so I think I might try him looking at the cluster this fall after I put her away for the year.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
ahhh gotcha. didn't know you tried a new cable already. heard nothing but good things about Kevin. Good luck with this. I fully understand the amount of crazy a bouncing, non-accurate speedo can cause.
Good luck with the fix!

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Yup, Kevin at Classy Gauges is a great way to go. I did a few years ago when his business was called Classy Chassis and all is well to this day. His link is in the top banner of every page here next to the Wild Horses link. 👌👍🤙

Broncobowsher

Contributor
Total hack
I have replaced the cable, Lubed the cable, And Tried every gear on this chart! Nothing works. I should be running either the 16 tooth gear or the 18 tooth gear. I have 4.56 gears and 35" tires. Actually when I have checked with my phone GPS as I go faster the amount the speedo that is off goes up. Something has to be wrong with the cluster. I have sent off a e-mail to Kevin at classic gauges so I think I might try him looking at the cluster this fall after I put her away for the year.
That's what it should do it the gear is wrong. It is a ratio, multiplier. If it is off by 10%, it is 10% of every point. 10% of 30 is 3, 10% of 60 is 6. The faster you go, the more it is off. That is a gearing issue.

There are 3 possible errors, or a combination of them.
Offset. A fixed value that is off. The zero point is wrong. bad spring preload on the needle.
Gain. What is usually wrong because tires and gearing have been changed. The multiplication factor is incorrect.
Linearity. This one really doesn't have a fix. Ideally the indicated speed should overlay the actual speed if you chart them. Linearity is how the line has a curve to it. Zero is correct, 30 indicated is faster than actual. At 50 the speedometer is accurate. And at 70 it swings off again. You just live with it.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This guy is a GREAT option for your rebuild of the cluster
classy gauges are beautiful and he can add led lights and a couple of other things to modernize. My buddy has dakota digital in his in a mustang and it was a beast to wire and get it working properly.

PDQ

Contributor

Con2r site says they are changing gears and no longer taking orders.....their stuff looked great too

Broncobowsher

Contributor
Total hack
Con2r site says they are changing gears and no longer taking orders.....their stuff looked great too
That's too bad. It was truely custom stuff as the option list was endless. I got one of there steering wheels and was really happy with it. Good comfortable steering wheel that wasn't race care wanna be nor bling. Looked like it could have been stock and had the right look to it. Hopefully they are still making the steering wheels.