• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NEW MOTOR MOUNTS: NOT MUCH IMPROVEMENT- excessive engine slope

mgb0302

Anyone ever installed the WH extreme motor mounts? I just installed a new motor with WH extreme motor mounts. The engine is now sloped waaaay down in the rear. See the pic (see link below) and look at the pass side valve cover for a good idea how much slope. I am running EFI so it should not be an issue running in the future- I just think it looks weird. I also installed a 4r70W with a BC bronco crossmember with an Atlas on the way. I am somewhat concerned that the slope in the rear will bring the T case farther down reducing ground clearance (only a little I know but every bit counts). Just don't want to get everything installed and then find out I need to go back to stock motor mounts. On the plus side, I assume this will reduce the angle of the rear driveshaft. Also, I measured the distance between the harmonic balancer and front fram crossmember- 3.5 inches.

UPDATE- OK, so I added pics of the crossmember like everyone asked (unsure why 2 are upside down- sorry). Some answers to some of your questions:

5001craig- I am running a 4r70 which is a different crossmember so not quite the same. I know this still not explain the crazy slope but since (I think) the slope is a combo between the crossmember and motor mounts, it will be difficult to compare our set ups.

AHUGGINS66- Its a V8 frame. Just removed the 302 to install a 351.

El Kabong- One of the studs is at the bottom and the other about midway of the hole. However, both "triangles" are flush to the frame mount so it should not be that big of a deal.

DIRTDONK- May eventually resort to testing my bicep strength by spreading the frame rails but gonna save that as a last resort!!!

My plan: Got a new set of motor mounts coming. Will try that first.

My potential concerns:
1) Does anyone think the distance between the top of the adaptor and body (5.75 inches [I have a 2" body lift]) is a lot? Just wondering if the rear of the trans need a spacer between the mount and adaptor to raise the trans.

2) Any thoughts on if the 8 inches to the driver side frame rail is sufficient for my Atlas?

Any thoughts on any of this?

Attachments

• IMG_2439.jpg
    IMG_2439.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_2441.jpg
    IMG_2441.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_2442.jpg
    IMG_2442.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_2443.jpg
    IMG_2443.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2451.jpg
    IMG_2451.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mgb0302

Jim- did not change the towers. Also tried a new link, maybe it will work.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I did a set on my recent Explorer swap, I didn't notice slope. I mounted them on the block , motor bolted to trans with out any issues.
Picture link not working

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Link wants us to sign in to a google account.

Sorry you're having this experience with our stuff mgb. While the Extreme mounts are not actually designed specifically to lift the engine higher in the compartment, it's been said many times that some have experienced this.
Not sure without taking measurements of course, but it's certainly possible for some to be mis-manufactured and causing the issue.

Doesn't do you any good on a Saturday night though!
If you don't get it squared away to your satisfaction definitely call the shop on Monday to talk to someone about it.
If you can send some pictures to sales@wildhorses4x4.com first though, that would be even better as someone would have a chance to check them out.

Regarding ground clearance, you definitely don't want to lose any, but I can't imagine it would be very much just from a slight extra height at the engine. Some actually make mounts that lift the engine for other reasons (can't remember why at the moment, but maybe header clearance?) and have not expressed any concern over clearance.
And I'm thinking that by the time you made any meaningful change in transfer case clearance you would have long since lost hood and firewall clearance!
You mention the firewall, but have you tried closing the hood yet? Is your EFI Ford-based, or aftermarket TBI setup?

If you can't get your link to work you can e-mail some images to one of us with the yellow "contributor" beneath their username. I'd be happy to post them up directly for you if the link doesn't pan out.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
M

mgb0302

Dirtdonk. Thanks for the info. Sending pics to the email provided; if you could add those to the thread it would be appreciated. Also, how d I become a contributor? I know I paid the $12 one year but can't remember where on the site to go. Thanks again and your help is why I shop at WH!!!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good, thanks! Cause I didn't get any since last night.
Not sure what happened there, but since you can post up now, no problemo.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow! Nice tilt ya got there hoss.;)
But I can see the problem from here. There's too much moving blanket under there!;D

Can you take another couple of shots from underneath? I'm having a hard time even imagining how you could have that much tilt and not have the heads pushing through the firewall. Normally on the driver's side there's not even enough room for a few fingers. Much less super-tilt-o-matic like you have.

What about some pics of the t-case and trans area too. Maybe the crossmember is sitting lower than normal? Hard to imagine that, but hey, you never know.

I know some that would have loved to have that much tilt while moving the engine in and out, but could not due to the firewall.

Good luck. Thanks for the pic. Now we're hungry for more!

Paul

73Russell

Loc.
Federal Way, WA
I know the extreme mounts I got have a long side and a short side to the triangle. If the long side is pointing down it would raise the motor up which I believe in theory would cause the engine to tilt more. Just a thought though.

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have WH mounts and BC crossmember but I did fab up my own mount for the crossmember. I have no tilt look at my build thread for pics of the mount I made

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Could the motor mounts be mounted in the wrong spots on the frame???? Motor doesn't look far enough forward to my untrained/non-mechanics eyes???

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
We need to see pics of the motor mounts and the trans mount. Both where they mount to the engine/trans and where each miunts to the frame. I sounds as though you have one or the other in the wrong place. Im willing to bet the trans crossmember is too low and needs to come up about an inch or so. Send us some more pics and let us help!!

OP
OP
M

mgb0302

I am going to risk sounding like an idiot and ask "which way is the BC trans crossmember supposed to be mounted- like a "u" or and upside down "u." Before I post the pics of the trans tail housing, maybe Deepwoods can chime in. Thanks for all the feedback though.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the WH Extreme Duty Motor Mounts and my engine sat just about the same as the stocker did. I couldn't notice any difference. Seems to me like it's got to be in the transmission crossmember.

Here's a pic of my setup with the WH Extreme Duty Motor Mounts:

EWcauiBJ941MTRBnPmLi2gqYqrYXxIz_BVAfxyP23st0k3A9Em4gx-3JlRxdHc64X68TMvqJ6bVaUL2hj61pejaRzFjZqJOBOMBaCIdY1oV-qEkg-MUVzBDpc951vWPIw008nmBRWVPx7bUctgKA7G4mugW8vi5XR4qLSm05tEWbAvZCjvCy3RTM4JQC1pz2VaPeA-qm4j8CimvhKxHwdaTJntn1h5C3spf1S2UMfAJ955DLyJzXhZbYH8wtXZx28ISYSkTGP-TIPb0ygN13OGSedqUwqcYZnHdG0DuoKkbtIVmYYGIuQbtQ5S6WAYFUP73hWJ0xob_pDIMJoc2TvVhntqp9YjU5FfFgC6-pEfTbMrQVlV1mn1jg26ocHVE-XOjeGAAPkkFT8ww95thM2j8RRSlTN8lgoJAkMLg9awpPNOy92bTHstaIAP8yQ7bJBx2nansFuWirVSAEnMOoEXglgrMhdcLWShJqJJm4IKIE_T0EF_vJmCOwKF-fYplFefn8L3xdJSOIPvWOwTEXIUyFsWiOlcjwtkT6rjqJHmTZYjy6HJSYMYaKaVx290L6st5m1gptcHRjQ736_WI_GFMpHiwF-zFflMfSbsP-8UM2b6Vbcm3XyQ=w1765-h993-no

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
On a side note, I would swap the valve covers side to side while you're messing around with this stuff.
The filler is going to be awkward as heck up there against the firewall. And the little elbow grommet will work just fine back there.

From the factory, all the oil-fill tubes I remember seem to be towards the front. Whether they're on the left of the right side.
Are those covers from a 351 donor? Or, since that looks like a 351 anyway, were they original to this engine?

Paul

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Paul, I think once he gets the engine leveled up the clearance will be fine I have a 351 with bronco script valve covers on it in the same location and dont have any trouble getting to that fill neck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Roger roger. Thanks for that.
I would have thought it was more of a pain than it was worth even without the tilt. But if you say it's fine then that's good news.

Paul

TAC71

My guess would be the trans mount. The L brackets on the frame are up side down or the crossmember is installed incorrectly. Some trans mount pics would help.