• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Tires for 1974 Stock Uncut Bronco

Ando

Loc.
Lake Oswego
Hi guy's. I'm the proud new owner of a 1974 Stock Uncut Bronco and was wondering what size tires I can put on her? She has a 302 engine with a manual 3 speed on the column and will never be off-road. Note: Ground up restoration will be completed this weekend. Thank's for your help. Ando.

OP
OP
A

Ando

Loc.
Lake Oswego
Hi guy's. I forgot to say the I'm using the original 15" Ford steel wheels that have also been restored. Thank's again. Ando :)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Ando, welcome to CB!
And from the sound of it, you're already at the point of being ready to roll and (hopefully) without any teething problems of a new build. Something always seems to crop up of course, even with ground-ups, but hey, we'll hope for perfection.
Shoot us some progress pics when you can sometime.

Regarding tire sizes, there are tons of discussions here, so when you get some time you might want to cruise through the backlog to see if you glean any new info, but I'll give you the basics here.

Wheel size and offset/backspacing is critical, especially for the larger sizes. In that vein then, usually a 31x10.50x15 is typically considered the largest you'd want to mess with on a stock Early Bronco. There are taller sizes, but not many wider that will fit.
There are modern metric alternatives to the stated "flotation" size above, such as 235/75 15 or even something similar in a 16" wheel size as well. Look for equivalents to the range of 28" to 31" diameter, and roughly 8" to 10" wide or so.

Narrower wheels are best for ease of fitting, but you can go up to 8" wide with a 10.50 wide tire, with the right offset.
I typically recommend a 6" or 7" wide wheel, with most sizes however. Even up to 10.50's, a 7" wide wheel will be more likely to tuck in under the rear fender. And that's the key. The rear is the tighter fit over a tire than the front is on these trucks. You might rub the front radius arms with the larger sizes when turning sharply, but that's not hurting anything other than your peace of mind when you hear that rumbling from up front and think something on your new rig is falling apart!

That's about all I've got. The backspacing and offset numbers are what will keep the outer edge of the wheel tucked in far enough to clear the rear sheet metal.

I'm sure others will chime in as well, but in the meantime check out some of the other threads that I'm sure include some images of member's Broncos that you can use to decide what you like.

Good luck. And have fun!

Paul

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Greetings and welcome to the best Bronco website! There are a lot of freindly and helpful folks around here....

Pictures are always nice. Kindly post some pic's of your rig when you can.

I have a few Bronco's and one similar to yours. On my stock 73' model I'm running 235/75/15 tires.

OP
OP
A

Ando

Loc.
Lake Oswego
Paul thank's for taking the time to help me with this tire issue. I appreciate the insight and the amount of information you shared with me. Per your suggestion I'll do some more investigating of past forums. Whoaa: Thank you for the photo as they say....a picture says a thousand words. I do have restoration photo's I'll just have to figure out how to post them. Thank's again guy's. Ando :)

patterdale

Bronco Guru
You can look up tire equivalent sizes and find out what fits. I had G78-15s on our 76 with stock wheels and those rubbed the radius arms. On our "new" 70 we have the metric equivalent of L78-15s. Of course they rub too. That is about all the rear can handle without rubbing. I had to lift up on the fender while the tire guy installed.the tire. Yes our springs are a bit weak but wider would not work. Check out our garage and you should find the metric size.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Ando how do you have only 3 post & you've done a complete ground up restoration... Wow good work.
.. I like the Walmart Wranglers Goodyears P23575'R15'S . Cheap & look good on an uncut Maul QUEEN ..

OP
OP
A

Ando

Loc.
Lake Oswego
Hi Pa PITT: I purchased the Bronco May 2014. It wasn't running at the time , so I had it towed to my mechanics place, where it stayed until September. Shortly thereafter, the Bronco was delivered to the body shop where she began her year long restoration. Good observation on your part. Have a great day. Ando :)

bteutsch

I run 7:00-15 power king super traction tires on factory rims, cheap and have the factory look. They are bias ply though, probably get better ride and handling with a radial.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 167

muskrat

Bronco Guru
I'm running 30x9.5x15 Yokohama Geolander AT's. I like them. But, I do have a 2.5" lift on the LUBR.

I think you could easily fit these on a stock height broncos.

BROwN COw

235/75 15's always look too rounded off on the edges. Those 30x9.50 15's would look good if they will clear for you.

OP
OP
A

Ando

Loc.
Lake Oswego
Hi Guy's. First, thank's for all the advise. A guy at TomsBroncoParts told me about this website and suggested that I join. I should have done this when I first purchased the Bronco. Going forward....bteutsch: That's a real nice Bronco you have. I look forward to the day when I can drive it with the top off. Muskrat: Your Bronco is more like the one I'm restoring. I stayed with as much original as possible with a couple of add-ons i.e. tire carrier cover etc. I'm surprised yours has a 2/12 inch lift. The photo is small but I can tell you I like the way your Bronco sits. I've been trying to find tires with a White/Wall but to no avail. We'll see. BrownCow: I don't think I can get the 30" x 9.5 on my Bronco. The lip inside the tirewell sticks out about an inch. Maybe, but it might be tight. Thank's again for the input guy's. This really is a freiendly website. It's also good to hear from like minded people. Before I go here's some info on my 1974 Bronco: It's color is: Midnight Blue Metallic with White Interior. Engine: 302-V8 Manual Transmission: 3 Speed on the column. All the best! Ando

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Ando - I'm running Kelly Wintermark M&S white walls on my 77. They can be hard to find but have a nice look and ride. Mine are 237/75/15 http://sullivantirecom.siteprotect.net/tires/snow/WintermarkHT.aspx
55d3a288b33969da53eb9bdbf4064921.jpg