• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New wiring harness questions

MrT

I have a1987 efi 5.0 with a Ron Francis engine harness. I am just looking for opinions on my choices for a chassis harness. I have narrowed it down to a Ron fracis Bronco express kit that covers future upgrades such a pwr wndw, pwr locks and seats. A painless wiring universal kit, this is the least expensive. And a centech, I like the fact it is loomed and should install quickly.
Is there a benifit to the Ron Francis harness over the Painless?
If you run the Centech how did you handle extra accessories?
Any downside to the Painless universal?
And to those of you with a Ron Francis large box like the engine harness has, where did you mount it?

Anything I may be overlooking or need to consider?

OP
OP
M

MrT

A couple more questions. Are there any qulity wiper and headlight switches out there you can suggest?

rguest3

Bronco Guru
The Chassis Harness will be completely independent of the EFI Harness, so it does not really matter which one you get.

Painless - Universal and Bronco Harness
Centech - Bronco Harness
Ron Francis - Have not seen this one.
American Autowire - Bronco harness

I prefer the harness that is Not already loomed. With extras, most likely you will end up taking the loom apart anyway.

The Painless Bronco harness is almost Plug-n-play and has most of the terminals installed with Ford Colored Wire. Great for a more stock rebuild. It is zip tied but not already loomed. This harness also has a number of extra circuits both switched and B+ Constant Power. I would say this is the easiest to install with the least amount of work to do. Also the most expensive. They have an option for switches included as well.

The Centech and the American Autowire are about the same with most of the terminals already done, although the AAW is not loomed and easier to modify.

The Universal Painless does not have any wires cut to length or any terminals installed and also has the Ford Colored Wire. I actually use this one because it is un-loomed and works best for a modified Bronco. It is also the most work. I add Weatherpack Connectors and Circuit Breakers.

I also mount the Fuse Box in the stock Glove Box location.

Hopefully others will chime in for the Ron Francis Harness.