• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie needs hard top advice!

clintOK

Loc.
Driftwood
So I purchased a hard top from a guy that had a bronco rotting in his field. It was ok on rust but had a lot of dents and dips in the top panel. My bronco is currently at the body shop getting the doors that I bought off the same guy straightened out and painted to match the rest of the body. I also dropped off this hard top to get it worked/straightened-up/painted. The body shop called me today to tell me the top was too far gone and I will need to buy a new top panel. So I'm already $400 into this hard top (purchase price) and a new top panel will be $600 plus the cost of the body shop to get it blasted and painted ($1000+?). Should I just cut my losses and buy a BC Broncos soft top? Or do you think I should continue getting it re-done and be $2700 into it (at least!). Also I forgot to mention I already purchased new support bows, seals, spider gear, hydraulic lift gate supports and mounting bolts for the hard top from Toms at over $700!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well I wish you'd have asked first, before buying it, I'd say just delete it and get a good soft top.

Good luck bud

I would start looking for a top that is in better condition that I bet you could pick up for $300 tops and still be less into it than what you state above

BC Bronco top would be great as well, and you could run it safari style as well. Rampage & bestop are a couple of great options as well

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I would think that Toms would understand as long as the stuff is still in new condition. All you can do is give them a call and ask.

OP
OP
clintOK

clintOK

Loc.
Driftwood
Bc bronco top it is! I think I'm going to keep the hard top and parts and make it next years project. Hopefully the wheat will yield a little better next year! Thanks for the advice.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
My hard top hasn't been on in 3 years, just been using the family top and driving when the weather allows. The BC top would definitely be the best for our weather if it's going to be a daily driver.

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
I feel your pain on the hardtop that needs more work than it's worth.

How about putting the sliding fabric sun top in your hard top?

OP
OP
clintOK

clintOK

Loc.
Driftwood
I feel your pain on the hardtop that needs more work than it's worth.

How about putting the sliding fabric sun top in your hard top?

I guess I don't know what this is, do you have a link to what you are talking about? Sounds very interesting!

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I spent a lot of time and effort rebuilding my top. The weather in Alaska where I live is mostly cool/cold and raining/snowing. I can say with confidence that the next time this top come off, it'll be the last time! At some point in the future I plan to live somewhere warm/dry...soft top for me sounds like paradise.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248033

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Get a Rampage soft top. The new Diamond Black material is tuff. And then you can let the sun in on the nice days. And at $600 its cheap compared to the BC top and having your hard top rebuilt!