• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

newby and some shifting questions

Navy_chief

Loc.
Oklahoma
Guys,
I just got the Bronco today the guy let me pay it out on the 1971 Half cab I bought last month.

Anyways I cant fiqure out the shift pattern anybody have a diagram or something?

It has the 302 3 speed on the column I can find all the gears except for reverse I cant fiqure it out?

Also it seems the shifter lever is pretty loose are their bushing I can replace to tighten up the slop in the shifter?
Thanks Matt

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
H Pattern

Reverse/1st closest to you.

R -- 2nd
<
1st -- 3rd

BicksBronc

Loc.
Concord, NC
I just learned on a 72

Pull towards you and down is 1st, push forward and up is 2nd, straight down is 3rd.
Reverse is pull towards you and up (not good while you are going 1st to 2nd:eek:)
It was challenging at first but now it's a piece of cake.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Being a relatively "old" guy, I find this thread a bit humorous! ;D

Kinda like "What's that button on the driver's floor near the kick panel??"

Old School

Loc.
AZ
I just had a discussion about this with a friend

What percentage of all drivers could get in a 3 on the tree vehicle and successfully drive it off and make it through the gears?

My guess was about 5 percent.

As far as it being loose, there are 2 bolts under the steering wheel inside the column. Those are often loose and make the whole thing really sloppy.

OP
OP
N

Navy_chief

Loc.
Oklahoma
I just had a discussion about this with a friend

What percentage of all drivers could get in a 3 on the tree vehicle and successfully drive it off and make it through the gears?

My guess was about 5 percent.

As far as it being loose, there are 2 bolts under the steering wheel inside the column. Those are often loose and make the whole thing really sloppy.

Guys,
thanks I have no problem finding 1st thru 3rd it has been over 26 years since I drove a 3 speed I just could not fiqure out the reverse thing?

I appreciate the info about the bolts being loose.

Now is there somebody that sells a rebuild kiet with new bushings for the shifter so I can replace them I am quite sure they are worn out?
Thanks Matt

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Being a relatively "old" guy, I find this thread a bit humorous! ;D

Kinda like "What's that button on the driver's floor near the kick panel??"

LOL, not old at all man..! :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Guys,
thanks I have no problem finding 1st thru 3rd it has been over 26 years since I drove a 3 speed I just could not fiqure out the reverse thing?

I appreciate the info about the bolts being loose.

Now is there somebody that sells a rebuild kiet with new bushings for the shifter so I can replace them I am quite sure they are worn out?
Thanks Matt

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/prod...nual-transmission-66-77-early-ford-bronco-new

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/prod...ual-67-79-classic-ford-trucks-new-per-kit-tbp

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
x2 in my 54 f-100

hey buddy, Navy Chief lives in chickasha. he came by my house to pick up some things a few weeks ago, cool guy. he has a thread on here about oklahoma people, i put your name in there too;D

Nightstick

Bronco guy
When I bought my first bronco it was a three on the tree. I asked the guy what the pattern was and drove off. My first vehicle was a POS '78 chevy Luv that always overheated.

'54 F100 is one of my future projects, love em!

sgtdcoulter

Loc.
Peachtree City Ga.
One other neat thing is that you would or will become very good at untangling the shifter linkage at the Red Light if you forget to back thru the shifter pattern before going back to first. 3rd to 1st was always a no-no, 3rd-2nd-1st and no problems.

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
One other neat thing is that you would or will become very good at untangling the shifter linkage at the Red Light if you forget to back thru the shifter pattern before going back to first. 3rd to 1st was always a no-no, 3rd-2nd-1st and no problems.

I remember one of the first times I went wheeling in my 75 EB with a bunch of my dork friends ("dorks" because they have Heeps). I was struggling over a boulder field (31" tires, no lift, open diffs, stock gearing... lotsa clutch action) and one of the jeep guys looked confused.

After I cleared the rocks, he had a goofy smile on his face and looked in through my window. "I thought you had an automatic cuz I saw you shifting, but then I smelled clutch. I've never seen a three speed on the column!"

PART 2 - after the lift, I took the EB to the tire store for the 35" meats. I waited in the lobby, and saw the tire monkey go to pull the Bronco in the garage. He fiddled around, looked confused, and came in to tell the shop foreman there was something wrong with the Bronco's transmission. The foreman rolled his eyes and explained that it was a 3 speed on the column, and he had to drive it into the bay himself.

I weep for today's generation of men... :cry: