• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

newly installed hydroboost problem!

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I just got done installing a chevy astro hydroboost, saginaw pump and bronco steering box. I jacked up the front end so I could cycle the steering to bleed the system. Now the steering wheel gets yanked out of my hands every time I try to turn it. When I turn the steering wheel even a little bit it starts jerking back and forth and is very hard to get stopped.

Also the first time I started up the engine after installing this setup the brake pedal got pulled almost the whole way to the floor and is now stuck down there. I can not pull the brake pedal back up.

Any idea what is wrong?

KManuel

Loc.
Cape Cod
Not sure about hydrooboost, but on steering box check make sure the lines are hooked up right, Whats happening to you sounds just like you hooked them up backwards.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The steering box lines are two different sizes. Unless you had custom hoses made and used the wrong fittings, it would be nearly impossible to have the lines switched on the box.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Check the hoses, you have a incorrect connection somewhere. If your stuck get the diagram from the Hydratech site or PM me and I will give you the layout. You have pressure going into a return port.
TOFIC

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I ended up taking the booster out of the system and hooked the saginaw directly to the steering box. Doing that didn't help so there's nothing wrong with the booster, my problem is in the pump or the box. How can I tell which one is having the problem?

la77

Loc.
Alexandria LA
I Know For Sure That The Routing Goes From Ps Pump To The Largest Fitting Port On The Hydroboost Then The Next Size Smaller Goes To The Steering Gear Box But Not 100% Sure Which One Is The In Side, Abaout 75% Sure The Side Closest To The Motor And More Foreward Is The In Port For The Bronco Steering Box. My In Hose On My Steering Box Is Really Close To My Pulley On My Pump And The Return Line Is Right Against The Inner Fender. Hope That Helps.

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Any luck?

Yes. I had my high/low pressure hoses reversed on my steering box. It turns out that the high pressure hoses should go in the port closest to the pitman arm and the low pressure hoses goes to the port closest to the steering wheel.

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I'm looking at aeroquip for my install, you mind me asking price?

They cost me around $150 just to make 2 hoses. The 90 degree fittings were $20/each, the hose was around $8/foot, and the AN to standard adapters were around $8/each. I can't remember the place that I ordered them from but it seemed like I got them a little bit cheaper than what Summit had them for. I found the link to the speed shop that I ordered them from on this website.

KManuel

Loc.
Cape Cod
Looking at aeroquip, it looks like for every hose end, you need an adapter and the hose end?