• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No New Bronco (or F-100) - from Ford SVT Racing engineer

tcb42

I have a 97 ranger and love it. I don't see why you couldn't slap a 44 up front and a new Bronco body on that frame and be done with it for the most part. Rangers are similar in size to an EB. It seems to be the logical thing to do to save a buck or two. Or it could just be me. What do you guys think?

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
Don't rule out the Ranger just yet.

I hope that means a total redesign is coming along the size of a dakota or colorado. I think ford has run out of ugly grills to slap on the same old tired truck. I sure wish you could spill what you know but I understand why you can't.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
For what it is the Ranger is a great little truck. I have an '07 that I drive the wheels off of and its great. Good gas mileage, comfortable, cheap to buy and hauls more than a Focus. Yeah sure it has the same motor they've been using since the Pinto but hey its proven technology. It would be a shame to kill such a proven platform that has probably had the R&D costs paid off many times over already. Make upgrades to it if needed but keep it around, yeah its not the coolest vehicle in the world but from a utilitarian standpoint it can't be beat. Also, I'm not aware of any other "true" compact trucks even still being made. All the others have grown up into mid-sizes. I wish they'd put a small diesel in it like the old Isuzu P'up.

Dusty

BigO

It's a shame Ford couldn't just buy/license the frame from Land Rover for the D90/110's. That's already been through the govnmt ringer and would be easy to build a solid platform around.

I would give my left nut for D90, they are very stout!

But the reason Land Rover stopped importing them into the U.S. is because of the "government ringer." They did not meet the new safety standards for airbags and such, and instead of redesigning it, Land Rover just said "screw it, we will sell it everywhere else except for the U.S". Got to love Big Brother, always looking out for us.%)

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I agree with Dusty and Tcb42 why doesnt ford just use the ranger platform? Yeah the sheet metal is a little tired but it is a proven platform that could be built upon. And as said is ford just going to bow out of the compact truck market? I know times are tuff in Detroit but They cant abandon the products that have been the back bone of there industry.

As for a Land Rover have you ever owned one? I have a Lr3 and it eats tires every 10,000 miles and has more electrical issues than a 40 year old bronco! But they sure do look cool!

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I had a D-90 and it was awesome. But they stopped importing them in 97 because they could not be adapted to include airbags. As I understand it in its current design they never will either.

It was about as close to a modern (by 1997 standards) Bronco as you could get.

I would love to see a modern Bronco but I am having alot of fun building my own. If they were to re-launch one I doubt it would come with a DOHC 4.6, NV3550 5 speed anyway. Outside of airbags and anti-lock brakes I am not sure what other options I would want?
Dennis

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL
X2 My next truck will likely be a Taco

A stout and solid truck, but get used to mediocre mileage. I think mini pickups should get at leat 20mpg around town and a few more on the highway, but all mini's, except the Ranger, have grown up and added weight. I would recommend a small gas-sipping car and then some beater truck for the trails, but I also understand issues with owning two vehicles and maintaining them.

Can't swing a cat down here without hitting a new JK....I think a new Bronco could put a dent in that market, but not so much if it's down around 15 mpg. Tough being in the car business these days, but then again it's tough being a car buyer these days and it's going to get much tougher to be a taxpayer in the future. Oh boy....