• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No tail lights, no side markers, no brake lights, no dash lights

Dogman71

Loc.
Chino Hills, CA.
Ok, thought I was getting closer to firing up my rig after sitting for 30 years..purchased a battery, turned on the headlight switch and only the headlights came on. No side markers, parking lights, tail lights, brake lights, grill parking lights or dash lights. Went ahead and purchased new bulbs for all and replaced, still no lights. Replaced all fuses and cleaned the fuse box as best for now. Looking at previous somewhat similar threads, it may be my headlight switch??? Any similar experiences? One step forward - two steps back sometimes..

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I'm dealing with the same right now sort of on a 66 that's sit for 30 years. I don't have instrument cluster lights, all gauges dead, no brake lights or signals. I do have front running lights and driver tail light. All fuses good. Dimmer switch is frozen up, the release pin in the top of the light switch won't release the knob lol...... let the circus begin! :)

Action

Check all your grounds.....Seems to cause most elect. problems.
Jack

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, X2 on the headlight switch for most of it, but the brake lights are completely separate. For the brake lights check or current going into the brake light switch first. Since the headlights work you know there is 12 volts going in. See if any running lights turn on when you pull the knob 1 click. Become friendly with a test light. They are cheap and needed. You could have checked for current at the bulb sockets before buying all new bulbs. Even better (advanced testing) is a Power Probe, where you could use it to test for current, and feed the circuits going to the running lamps, I'm sure you can see one in action on the Power Probe website. Anyway, this is just a start. Good luck

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I hate freaking electrical issues.. Good luck

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Hi, X2 on the headlight switch for most of it, but the brake lights are completely separate. For the brake lights check or current going into the brake light switch first. Since the headlights work you know there is 12 volts going in. See if any running lights turn on when you pull the knob 1 click. Become friendly with a test light. They are cheap and needed. You could have checked for current at the bulb sockets before buying all new bulbs. Even better (advanced testing) is a Power Probe, where you could use it to test for current, and feed the circuits going to the running lamps, I'm sure you can see one in action on the Power Probe website. Anyway, this is just a start. Good luck

Brake light current comes from the headlight switch.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Refer to this diagram (on a computer monitor - not a phone):

Try to ID everything that doesn't work, and see if it's possible to trace each one's wires to a single point of commonality, WITHOUT including anything that does work. If you can, that's the most-likely failure point.

OP
OP
Dogman71

Dogman71

Loc.
Chino Hills, CA.
Thanks all, just picked up a new headlight switch. I will try to swap it out later today or tomorrow. Hopefully that's the problem.

OP
OP
Dogman71

Dogman71

Loc.
Chino Hills, CA.
So I finally replaced my light switch today, my side markers and tail lights are now working but my gauges and dash lights are still out.The only gauge that bounces around is my ammeter when I pull the light switch then settles down at the half way mark. I have no blinkers except my blinker left tail light stays on constantly (steady burn) when I hit the left turn signal but no flashing and nothing when I hit the turn signal to the right. I have no brake lights as well. So I guess the fun begins in checking out the grounds and buying a circuit tester. But hey, at least the beast fired up a few weeks ago!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I finally replaced my light switch today, my side markers and tail lights are now working but my gauges and dash lights are still out.

Did you fiddle with the rheostat adjustment to make sure that it's turned all the way up instead of down?
Those missing lights are the only ones actually on a fuse. They're on the small fuse in the stock fuse panel. You said you checked and cleaned the fuses, but did you check for voltage going through it with the headlight switch on?
The bulbs in the instrument cluster actually can burn out. I've probably replaced most of them at least two or three times since I bought it 40 years ago.
And the bulbs in the dash light bars are notorious for burning out. Not really too soon, but since they're generally considered a non-serviceable item, they could be bad and you're chasing a problem that doesn't exist at the wrong end of the circuit.
Only way to test is either with a meter or by checking them individually with known power to the contact points.

The only gauge that bounces around is my ammeter when I pull the light switch then settles down at the half way mark.

That's a good sign that it's at least partially working. And that the lights are working somewhere, or you would not see the needle move.
When you fire up the engine you should see this needle run up to probably 30 amps for a moment or two, then start to slowly come down back to just above zero. And any time you turn something on like the lights or heater or whatever, you should see it jump for a second then settle down again.
Sorry if you knew all that already, but if you have not driven the Bronco before, you might not be aware of how a direct-wire ammeter acts during normal use.

I have no blinkers except my blinker left tail light stays on constantly (steady burn) when I hit the left turn signal but no flashing and nothing when I hit the turn signal to the right.

The no flashing part might still be due to poor wiring somewhere, but you also need to check the flasher unit under the dash. There are two. One for the 4-way flashers and one for the turn signals. They are different part numbers, but you can swap them to see if things change.
Do your flashers work?

I have no brake lights as well.

As was said, the power comes from the headlight switch, to the brake light switch, then to the turn signal switch. You might have a bad turn signal switch (very, VERY common), or still have some wiring issues.
Only way to tell is through further testing. Great fun, right?%)

So I guess the fun begins in checking out the grounds and buying a circuit tester. But hey, at least the beast fired up a few weeks ago!

If you've gotten this far without a volt-meter, you've just been living on borrowed time. You have to have one to work on an old car of any description. Broncos just happen to be worse than most, but any of them will need a good volt/ohm meter at some point.

Good luck.
Remember, if you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.;)

Paul

OP
OP
Dogman71

Dogman71

Loc.
Chino Hills, CA.
Paul, thank you for the great input and advise. I will dig into this more next weekend. To answer your question, my flashers are not working as well. I appreciate you and all the members of this forum who help with the great advise, nothing better then getting info from the "Been there, Done that" crew. Saves us a lot of time and money..
Steve.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Steve. We've got the old-guy scars that we're jealously guarding and don't want to share any of the glory with the youngsters before their time!
Actually, I'm more than happy to pass on the pretzel medals. Got tired of twisting my head and neck up under the dash many years ago!
The memories are more fun than the current reality.

When it comes to pinpointing issues under the dash, many of us now take the time to remove the driver's side vent air duct so we can gain access without getting upside down and sideways.
Some of us are even good at pulling the whole instrument cluster out in a few minutes without scratching the bezel!;)

The light bars are another story however. Those original suckers can really grab the dash. Getting them out often involves cussing and the sound of cracking plastic.
But they do come out...

Good luck. After 45 years, the individual components on your rig have earned the right to die without a moment's notice whenever they feel like it.
And more than one at a time too, just to make it harder to diagnose.

For the flashers and turn signals, check for power coming in to the relays/flashers when the switches and key are on. Then check for power going out to determine if the flasher units are at fault or not.
Or you can still swap them one for the other just to see if anything changes.

Paul

OP
OP
Dogman71

Dogman71

Loc.
Chino Hills, CA.
Hey Paul,
Reviving this old thread again. I got the old girl on the road about two or three weeks ago which you and others on this cool site have responded to other threads I have started. The latest electrical issue was my front grill parking lights acting as break lights but my rear break lights not working. So, I checked out some previous threads from this site and went ahead and changed out my turn signal switch yesterday which resolved the parking lights acting as break lights issue. Now my left rear break light and turn signal is working but my right break light and turn signal is not. My right (passenger) parking grill light is at a steady burn and does not flash when I turn the right turn signal switch on. I have purchased (2) flashers from Wild Horses assuming both will work for the turn signal flasher and the emergency flasher, plus looking at the wiring diagram, seems this may hopefully resolve my right rear brake light and turn signal issue. The question I have is, where is the turn signal flasher located? From a quick glance under the dash a few days ago, I think I found the emergency flasher near the switch but could not locate the turn signal flasher. Does anyone have a pic of where the turn signal flasher is located?
Thanks,
Steve

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think you will get some good photos, but the chances of them having been moved over the years is pretty high. I think back in the old days every Bronco dash that I looked under had the flasher units hanging in a different location!
On some years (maybe all?) one of the flashers was clipped into a holder that was snapped into a hole on the steering column support plate. I actually can't remember where the other one was now. Gonna have to look under my '71's dash sometime, 'cause the '68's been all re-wired with nothing left stock.

Back to the light issue, even though your front lamp is steady and not flashing, have you tested your rear socket with a meter or light? You may have two separate problems. Yes, they could be related, but they could also be two distinct issues.
Pull the bulb out first and make sure it's functioning properly.
Then check the socket with the parking lights on and the right turn signal.
If you see the test light flashing on one contact and solid on the other, then the good stuff is reaching the corner.
If nothing is happening, then it could still be the wires under the tailgate.

It's quite common for that short stretch of wire between the left rear light and the right rear light to get worn out from age, or pinched at some point.
People installing bumpers, body mounts, gas tanks, or just painting have often buggered the wires.

So check those aspects as well.

Paul